Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Themes, ringtones, screensavers, games, video clips > Overcharging the T68i

Author Overcharging the T68i
Mimzo
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 13:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello all,

This may seem like a trivial and much outdated question seeing as we're in the age of Li-Ion batteries. Is it possible that I overcharge (and consequently harm) the battery of my T68i? I would think the answer is no because it's a Li-ion battery but the thing is that I got the desktop stand for the phone and the USB cable so I have it connected virtually all the time while at work. Is overcharging possible?
Just want to be sure.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Mimzo
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 14:24
No. As long as you did your first charging "after the book" your battery can be "step charged" ( toppig it up?) and you can also charge it for as long as you feel like. When it is full, it is full and that's it.
( does this make sense)?
KS
The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
Mimzo
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 14:25
It makes sense but what do you mean by doing my first charging "by the book"?
Informer
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 14:35
It's not possible to overcharge the t68 battery!
The phone is very intelligent in this case, you can leave your phone connected to the charger for months without any problem at all. It is not necessary to discharge the battery before charging, you can charge your battery anytime you want and as often as you want. The phone keps track on battery level, where in the charge cycle it was when it left the last charge occasion (if you disconnected the charge before it reached full charge) etc.

The battery is a very hi-tech Lithium Polymer with very long cycle life, which means that it is possible to charge your battery everyday for two years without even noticing any decrease in battery performance.

The Li-Polymer is the best battery technology today (and the most expensive). Ask anyone who bought a Nokia 3210 and see what they think about their battery today! The 3210 has a very cheap NiMH battery which is useless after a few years of usage = 30secs of talktime fully charged etc.
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 14:36
Before you start using your phone the first time it chould be charged for, I think it is, 15 houres or so.
I've never done this and I've never had any problems at all. I come home at night, put my phone on charge over night even if it isn't running low. It's just a habbit. (Not an advice)
Have a look in the manual, it says all you need to know about charging.

KS
The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
pirvel
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 17:05
You don't have to do anything "by the book". It's just recommended that you charge the battery for 4 hours the first time.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 17:15
Li ion do not need conditioning. The aging process does this over about 8 charges. In fact it is harmful to fully discharge one which you CAN NOT do without the appropriate equipment and can lead to splitting.

This post was posted from a T68i

can1
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 17:30
I have spoken to SE support in the Uk and they advise to let the battery run down and turn it off in order to charge to get the maximum battery usage out of it. To be honest though I think Informer is right.

T68i has a Lithium Polymer battery and NOT a Li-ION battery so, as mentioned in an earlier post by Informer, it is more high tech. SE advise that you CANNOT overcharge your battery as when the battery is full the phone no longer charges.

Trust this settles it.
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 18:25
That's what I tried to say! KS

This post was posted from a T68i

eAlex
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-06-27 01:29
I think it is possible to overcharge it if you set your backlite to always on, from the settings>display>light>on menu in the t68

If you do that it charges until the very last stick, then the last one blinks for an un-reasonable amount of time. Turn the light off, and it will all be fully charged fast. Weird
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi