Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Windows XP sp2 & Msi Bluetooth dongle & T68(i)

12  Next
Author Windows XP sp2 & Msi Bluetooth dongle & T68(i)
Draqula
Sony Xperia SP
PM
Posted: 2004-08-25 13:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If there is someone who has succesfully installed MSI bluetooth software (not just drivers) on Windows XP SP2 and can send files from phone to PC then PLEASE contact me. I am really f****g tired of that s**t.

The solution1: delete or rename files as instructed in this thread.

The solution2: http://www.bluetake.com/Manua[....]tionGuide_WindowsXP-SP2_EN.pdf

[ This Message was edited by: Draqula on 2005-01-10 22:57 ]
ESTOR
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-08-25 19:28
Do a search here or on the web, to obtain instructions to hack the driver file so that it will work without the security key. I was able to use 1.4.x.x software from IBM, Belkin, etc.. to work on my Mitsumi adapter.
SteveS
D750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-26 09:37
SP2 was great with bluetooth!! didnt need CD that came with my dongle
Draqula
Sony Xperia SP
PM
Posted: 2004-08-26 10:27
But can you send files from phone to PC, using only the SP2 default bluetooth software?
synagence
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-08-26 23:53
I am using the MSI bluetooth dongle with SP2 and i have to say that while its nice not to have to use additional software....the MS bt software sucks big time....

The serial ports, Dial-up works ok...the file transfer TO the phone is ok....however, if you do a device services search of the PC from the k700i it lists no supported services therefore you cannot send files from the k700 to the pc without additional software (FMA)

Also, the HID service does actually work but once you turn it on it seems to constantly want to take over the phone...annoying...

I think the MS software needs some serious work....OR it could be that MSI is not on the list of officially supported dongles with SP2 so it had to produce its own drivers which i think suck a little at the moment.

Anyone elses comments would be useful
thebman919
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-08-28 19:53
Im downloading sp2 right now and id like to know. should i remove the widcomm software before i install it or what?

[ This Message was edited by: thebman919 on 2004-08-28 18:56 ]
jaimingandhi
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-28 20:01
Even i'd like to know. Is it advisable to remove widcomm software before installing SP2?

This message was posted from a WAP device

Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-08-28 20:51
everythings fine here. had it already installed before downloading sp2
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
teslaguy
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-30 09:16
Quote:

On 2004-08-26 23:53:40, synagence wrote:
however, if you do a device services search of the PC from the k700i it lists no supported services therefore you cannot send files from the k700 to the pc without additional software (FMA)

Also, the HID service does actually work but once you turn it on it seems to constantly want to take over the phone...annoying...

I don't get it how could HID work you said it doesn't show any services available.
K700i user
Draqula
Sony Xperia SP
PM
Posted: 2004-09-02 01:19
SP2 makes me mad. Progress made around here! MSI website now works again and I got the security key. The next question: where to put it? The 1.4.3 (the latest from their website) software doesn't ask for that key when installing. On the MSI website ther is a FAQ entry for "Installing driver 1.4.2" - there it says that there has to be a file wich I have to execute and insert the key - no file with the given name exists in the given folder, though I have installed 1.4.3. So the MSI soft still says "no device found". Is there anybody out there who uses MSI software with SP2 and not Microsoft stack?
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-02 15:07
You will experience a problem if you install Widcomm drivers on a Windows XP installation AFTER SP2 has been applied if you own a device which is supported natively by SP2.

The reason for this is because Windows automatically picks up the drivers built-in to Windows rather than using the drivers that come with the Widcomm software. The Widcomm software cannot use the built-in drivers, presumably because that have a different API than WIDCOMM expect.

Upgrading to SP2 after installing WIDCOMM software will not cause a problem as Windows will keep on using the WIDCOMM supplied drivers.

What you will need to do to install WIDCOMM drivers on a Windows XP SP2 machine is:

1. Remove your Bluetooth dongle from the PC
2. Uninstall youir Widcomm software.
3. In Explorer go to Windows\Inf
4. Rename the file bth.inf to bth.bak

After this reboot & then reinstall your WIDCOMM software. You should find everything now works as it did before SP2.

By the way, I would definately use the WIDCOMM drivers in preference to those built in to XP, particularly with a SE phone! I'd miss the user interface.
ESTOR
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-02 20:48
There is a different driver for Win XP SP2 for your MSI BT adapter.

[ This Message was edited by: ESTOR on 2004-09-02 19:48 ]
Draqula
Sony Xperia SP
PM
Posted: 2004-09-03 00:50
@mwarner

Thank you! You made my day. In order to get it all working I also had to delete the "bth.PNF" file in the same folder. Then I forced windows to use the drivers included in the software package on the MSI website, not the standalone drivers ment for SP2 (there are 2 downloads in the drivers section on the MSI webpage). After that I could use the address tool to insert the security code and all in all the software finally worked.

Someone could add the information from this thread to the FAQ, since I'm definetly not the last beginner, trying to use decent software instead of that SP2 Bluetooth poop.
pecam
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-09 00:31
Quote:

On 2004-09-02 15:07:53, mwarner wrote:
You will experience a problem if you install Widcomm drivers on a Windows XP installation AFTER SP2 has been applied if you own a device which is supported natively by SP2.

The reason for this is because Windows automatically picks up the drivers built-in to Windows rather than using the drivers that come with the Widcomm software. The Widcomm software cannot use the built-in drivers, presumably because that have a different API than WIDCOMM expect.

Upgrading to SP2 after installing WIDCOMM software will not cause a problem as Windows will keep on using the WIDCOMM supplied drivers.

What you will need to do to install WIDCOMM drivers on a Windows XP SP2 machine is:

1. Remove your Bluetooth dongle from the PC
2. Uninstall youir Widcomm software.
3. In Explorer go to WindowsInf
4. Rename the file bth.inf to bth.bak

After this reboot & then reinstall your WIDCOMM software. You should find everything now works as it did before SP2.

By the way, I would definately use the WIDCOMM drivers in preference to those built in to XP, particularly with a SE phone! I'd miss the user interface.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!
THANK YOU.

pecam
skjalg
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-11 09:54
Where can I find the latest widcomm drivers to download? I think they will work with my tecom dongle.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi