Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > PuppetMaster - Remote control Windows from your mobile phone!

Author PuppetMaster - Remote control Windows from your mobile phone!
jtlim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-08-22 08:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've made some software available at http://www.lim.com.au/PuppetMaster which allows controlling windows from your mobile phone. It's designed with bluetooth in mind, and currently provides support for iTunes, WinAMP, Windows Media Player, PowerPoint, as well as a couple of other functions.

I realise that fMA has similar functionality, but I believe that PuppetMaster provides a superior remote control interface.

For example, if you are controlling a PowerPoint slideshow, the slide notes will be sent to your mobile phone.

If you are controlling iTunes or WinAMP, you'll be presented with the current song name, artist name and play time.

This program is being actively developed. More software will be added to the supported list.

I'm open to feedback/suggestions.

Just pre-empting one question that often arises: On Z1010 and K700i phones, the menus/dialogs often have extra wierd characters at the end of lines which seems to be a bug in the firmware - hopefully SE will fix this in the future, but for now, there is no obvious way to fix the appearance.
buckle247
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-22 09:17
get some sort of trial version, as people aren't likly to pay $15 for something that they havn't even tried. Also some screenshots of what it looks like on the phone would be good.
jtlim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-08-22 09:29
Quote:

On 2004-08-22 09:17:26, buckle247 wrote:
get some sort of trial version, as people aren't likly to pay $15 for something that they havn't even tried. Also some screenshots of what it looks like on the phone would be good.

The file for download *IS* a trial version - you can run it, and it'll disconnect you after you've interacted with it a certain amount. (You can probably get through 30+ slides of a powerpoint presentation, use WinAMP/iTunes/Media Player light usage for 10 minutes or so). The more you press buttons and such, the quicker the trial/demo ends. (Unfortunately, this means the Mouse Mode makes the demo end a bit too quickly, but that can't be helped)

I'll try and get some phone screenshots online soon.
buckle247
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-22 10:35
Cool, tried the program with windows media player and it works pretty well. This is a great program for phones like the t610, t68i etc, but to be honest, for the k700 it is better to use the in built RC control, though many have been saying they can't get it to work, so this would be a good alternative for them as well.

Also like the idea of it telling you the track name on win amp, but i couldn't test that as i don't have it.
SteveS
D750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-22 13:49
i have comments but for a trial ill keep em to my self.
SteveS
jtlim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-08-22 17:21
Quote:

On 2004-08-22 10:35:17, buckle247 wrote:
Cool, tried the program with windows media player and it works pretty well. This is a great program for phones like the t610, t68i etc, but to be honest, for the k700 it is better to use the in built RC control, though many have been saying they can't get it to work, so this would be a good alternative for them as well.

Well, the K700 inbuilt remote control acts as a simple USB HID device - ie. it's a keyboard or mouse control to the computer - it can't control Windows Media Player or WinAMP if it's not the foreground application. [Someone can correct me if I'm wrong]. Of course, this may not be too much of a limitation in many circumstances.

Quote:

Also like the idea of it telling you the track name on win amp, but i couldn't test that as i don't have it.

Unfortunately, Windows Media Player support in PuppetMaster is the most primitive of the three media players (iTunes, WinAMP, WMP).

Personally, I like (and would recommend) iTunes

If I can figure out how to provide track names + better feedback for Windows Media Player, I'll add it in.
sebzZ
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-02 15:04
can someone give me the serial number for the puppetmaster? thx
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-02 15:34
Quote:

On 2004-10-02 15:04:10, sebzZ wrote:

ROFLMAO.

I have a comment: change the name !!!
sebzZ
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-02 17:22
Quote:

On 2004-10-02 15:34:04, Jim wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-10-02 15:04:10, sebzZ wrote:

ROFLMAO.

I have a comment: change the name !!!

wat's roflmao?

wat name?
daddykazaa
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-05-30 07:45
Hey jtlim, I was trying to play iTunes with puppetmaster, how do I change the track when a song is playing? Do I have to browse the playlists everytime or there is a shortcut so that I can change to the next track with just one click. The help menu shows up/down for changing tracks, do you mean the jog-dial? I tried that too but that didn't do anything. please help.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi