Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Who actually uses flight mode?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Who actually uses flight mode?
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-21 18:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thx. And what about the system?

This message was posted from a T630

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-21 18:21
British Airways are quite strict about this sort of thing, but other 'One World' members are somewhat more liberal in their approach to mobile phones with ‘Flight Mode’ e.g. American Airlines.
I can understand people wishing to use their phone's entertainment functions, but I can't understand why some people seem to want to use their mobiles to phone people from a plane, assuming one could actually get a signal!
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
syntax
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-09 19:36
I was on a flight recently to Australia. I read in the latest inflight magazine that you may use flight mode on a phone as long as it is in that mode before you get on the plane and until you are well inside the terminal at your destination. This was part of a small article explaining the change in rules/procedures on this subject aboard British Airways.

'Clever computer and handset makers offer an option called "flight mode," which disables the radio. As a result, the British Civil Aviation Authority has decided passengers in planes under its jurisdiction should be allowed to use these portable devices as a calendar or photo viewer because they do not interfere with the electronic circuits and radio systems used by the pilots.' (source.)

'A two-year investigation has shown that mobiles can be used on planes without interfering with navigation systems.'
(source.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-09 20:10
I always found that whole celfone/airplane issue kinda dumb. I mean, I know it causes some radio interference... but come on... that would mean that some psycho hijacker could just raise his mobile and say "No one move! Or I'll turn my phone on!" ... "Please sir! Calm down, and put the phone away nice and easy!"

Anyway, I have used Flight Mode on a few occasions... aside from flights... I use it in meetings, or any other place where my phone going off wouldn't be acceptable. As well as when I don't want to be disturbed...but still wanna play games or watch a movie.
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2004-12-09 21:53
I use flight mode in class from time to time. I had a teacher start to get mad a me for pulling out my phone, then when she saw me using the stylus she sorta looked surprised and went back to teaching. When people see you using a stylus they usually just assume they are looking at a PDA.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-09 22:55
Quote:

On 2004-12-09 21:53:34, knight4led wrote:
When people see you using a stylus they usually just assume they are looking at a PDA.

Very much. I use flight mode:
1. when I dont want to be disturbed
2. in meetings, say a church service
3. on trips were phone use are frowned at

I do use it a lot.
PS: I used to be known as AYA
.Z.
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-12-10 01:40
I use flight mode daily at my work at a chemical industri when i'm in the main control room, it's forbidden to use mobil phones there.
Out on the plant whe are not alowed to bring the phone with us for the explosion risk.
Flight mode was one of the reasons why i bought my P900, if it not had flight mode i probobly have choosen a PDA instead because i use the PDA functions a lot in my work.
Caveman
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-12-10 02:03
I switch my P910 to flight mode when I'm travelling in the Channel Tunnel, or on a train between Cambridge and Kings Cross (Near Hitchin, as the Vodafone signal is patchy, and there's a few tunnels to go through !)

Regardless of how any of us might feel about the validity of safety concerns of mobiles on planes, or in hospitals,or any other situation, I think that we can all do without a mobile for a few hours occasionally - As people did before mobiles, right ??
fetzi
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-10 10:12
@caveman
surviving without phone would be quite impossible for a few people around here I guess

On the other hand - does anyone of you believe people were allowed to take cellphones into the plane either in your suitcase or in hand when there would be a real threat? Compared to the red alert scenario they start when one has a nail file in his hand luggage? hmm???

I surely do not

Pop! Goes The Hamster... And Other Great Microwave Games
peepboon
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-12-10 22:26
I've never used it before, I think it would be pointless of me using it on a plane, I dont use the business feautures on the phone, lol
mav
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-12-11 03:58
Quote:

On 2004-07-21 17:36:26, switchbitch wrote:
When the flight attendant asks you if its a mobile phone, just say "no". I used my p900 for 13 hours on a flight yesterday.
Make sure they know whos boss.

In terms of safety, they ARE the boss when you're flying. I'm an airline pilot with a major Asian carrier and we don't seem to have a clear guideline as to allow or disallow flightmode.
adidas
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-12-11 13:30
Flight mode ON in the office b'coz office dont allow to use mobile phones, so now i 'm using "PDA" if anyone ask!
duxxyuk
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-23 14:58
One of the best features of my P900 is the flight mode.

I used to appreciate a pub near my old work where we had to go downstairs to sit down. There we had no reception but no problem looking at agenda's or exchanging telephone numbers.

Conversation is so much more engaging without it being interrupted by a mobile phone.

I therefore love the flight mode feature on my phone.
myp800
P800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-23 15:42
I used it in the quiet carriages of Virgin Trains, they don't allow use of mobile phones in those compartments
MadBob
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-02-23 16:33
Every night as I use my P910i as my alarm clock. it should be renamed Night Mode!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi