123 ... 171819  Next
Author Sony Ericsson P910 discussion
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson P910 announcement

Please use this thread to discuss the new Sony Ericsson P910 (thanks to Mobile-Review for the initial pictures)

http://www.sonyericsson.com/P910i

Sony Ericsson announces the P910 smartphone-
- Widest choice of input methods, added memory and ideal e-mail platform make the new P910 a must for mobile business professionals

15 July 2004
The P910 makes handling e-mails and web browsing on a breeze thanks to the wide choice of input methods. For example, the new thumb keyboard on the inside of the flip is particularly useful for writing longer e-mails; the five-way Jog Dial is ideal for navigating the phone’s functions or browsing the web; whereas the natural handwriting with stylus on the large colour touchscreen and software keyboard are valuable tools for short SMS messages, taking notes, or adding a new contact or meeting.

Gaining access to e-mail services and handling messages is hassle-free, enabling users to make the most of the extensive e-mail services the P910 supports. The P910 can just as easily be part of a secure corporate IT network, or used by individuals to receive their private e-mail. Sony Ericsson is collaborating with a wide range of e-mail providers, which makes the P910 the perfect e-mail platform, as in addition to Smartner it also supports IBM, Extended Systems, Visto, RIM BlackBerry, Seven and IntelliSync.

New capabilities such as web browsing, e-mailing, PDA and a range of entertainment options puts more demand than ever on the phone’s available user memory. Sony Ericsson has taken this into account and expanded the internal memory from 16MB to 64MB and included a 32MB Memory Stick Duo in the box. The P910 supports up to 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro, creating almost endless possibilities to store and share images, video, music and business data.

The P910 is based on Symbian OS v7.0, the world’s most popular operating system for smartphones, and the successful UIQ user interface which is based on Symbian OS. As a result P910 offers the widest possible selection of applications on any smartphone available today.

New free or trial additions include Avantgo (offline browsing), Media Viewer (direct access to news such as Financial Times) and Promyzer (real-time market quotes and stock trading). HP Runestone allows messages, pictures, calendars and contacts to be printed directly to a Bluetooth-enabled HP printer. Wayfinder is a navigation tool included on the CD, which works as a turn by turn in-car navigation system when connected to a Bluetooth GPS receiver. P910 comes with the Opera browser, offering a superior Internet experience that presents the full Internet perfectly within the screen width.

Developing new applications for smartphones is the fastest growing area in the developer community and the P900 is the number one product for adding new applications. There are currently over 600 applications which are compatible with the P800/P900/P910, a figure which makes these devices a proven platform for a large community of application developers. Users can even buy and download applications directly over the air to the phone using an on-device application shop.

“Our smartphones combine PDA and telephony functions without compromising on quality, functionality or ease-of-use. Add to that the widest variety of available applications and input methods, and you have a tool that satisfies the most demanding mobile professional,” says Jan Wäreby, Corporate Executive Vice President and Head of Sales & Marketing of Sony Ericsson.

The capabilities of the P910 are endless. It includes a digital video and still camera and a range of entertainment options. PC synchronisation of the calendar and address book can be handled over USB, infrared, Bluetooth or even remotely over the air through SyncML. The colour screen now has 262,000 colours and is well suited for picture viewing and editing.

The P910 will start shipping globally in Q3 and exists with five different keyboard variants to meet the needs of different language groups: Qwerty, Qwertz, Azerty, Russian and Greek.

P910i Triple Band 900/1800/1900 MHz
P910c Triple Band 900/1800/1900 MHz for China Mainland
P910a Triple Band 850/1800/1900 MHZ.for North and Latin America

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2004-07-18 08:08 ]
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:32
Its just a p900. its a p900. its a p900. another shoddy crappy nokia-esque identical phone with minor changes why do SE do this? Theyre really starting to suck.

By the way masseur, maybe you should wait until the link is active before you post it
Ban switchbitch

[ This Message was edited by: switchbitch on 2004-07-15 10:34 ]
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:34
looks like its a good product, with a few improvements over the p900, i suppose its a good way of attracting new customers without the high manufacturing costs of design a completely new smartphone.

Also i do like the colour more it looks more like a dark brushed metal, than the p900 is this the case?

and the keypad looks very nice in my view.

also i think you meant to say p910 mass,

"Please use this thread to discuss the new Sony Ericsson K700"
OBEY GAINT
psikey
W960
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:38
Probably because they need to keep the phone fresh with some improvements to keep new people buying the P series while they get the step-change future phone sorted.

Not an essential or necessary purchase for a P900 owner but better for new owners & tempting for P800 owners.

I'll be sticking with my P900 for now.
blue8300
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:38
They never said they will bring a new phone out.. it's toooo early for that ! P900 is still young.... are you all geek that you have to complain about everything?
Do you want phoen like Nokia... a "new" stupid model every 6 mouth?
The P900 didn't have concurrent... he still don't have.

It 's a good evolution, that's for sure. Looks much better now,
It is a P900 phase II, just like it has to be so we can wait till the next real new thing
And SE says themself that they didn't put a 1.3mp because it's planned in the next new phone.
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:42
well it's hard to say, i mean the review said ecelent things about this mobile phone and i actually agree with them, in my opinion it's wonderful! sure it doesn't have a 1mpx camera but do we really need one? i for one am actually sad because it has one! pda's don't have one, 9500 only has vga, i mean i'm not really sure a high end pda-phone even needs a camera, i never use mine but well different people different needs i guess....
anyway all my needs were cowered with this phone, uiq 2.1, 64mb ram, ms duo PRO, 262k screen, i love it, but then again you have to know that i don't have a p900.... and for one i'm happy that i bought a guitar amp instead of a p900 just so that i can buy this beauty now
the funny thing is that mpx has only 32 mb of ram and it's a ppc! lol
anyway the only gripe i have about this one is: WI-FI!!
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:43
Instead of making crappy updates, why dont they put all their energies into creating a handset which will totally blow away any competition. They could have this by now if they werent so busy designing a phone with slight feature improvements which the p900 should have had in the first place anyway. If they GAVE this phone to people who had already paid for a p900 then that would make sense. But theyre gonna be charging like £500 for it no doubt. Get back on your bikes sonyericsson.

Ban switchbitch

[ This Message was edited by: switchbitch on 2004-07-15 10:44 ]
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:43
Quoting from SE:

64Mb internal memory.
DUO PRO support up to 1GB.
262K colors
Qwerty, Qwertz, Azerty, Russian and Greek internal keyboard

And for the first time, can hide a phone until 1/2 months before shipping it (announced to start shipping Q3), without info being leaked almost ahalf a year later...

[ This Message was edited by: Krubach on 2004-07-15 10:51 ]
swipe108
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:44
@Blue6300
you're probably right. They just probably wanted to fix the small things people complain about the P900.
Navras
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:46
The review did not confirm DUO pro support it just said technically it was possible to use cards up to 1Gb but they did not try it and just stated a 128mb MMC card does the job ???? !!!!

Also the 262k screen is rubbish and just looks like a 65k display

Camera is still VGA wtf is going on!

the only real improvement is the memory wheres the P1000? cant believe i;m stuck with the same phone for another year as soon as i'd get a p910 i will rip off the flip and thats it its just a p900 with a dodgy speaker cover.
blue8300
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:46
yep.. and they put their energy in making a new phone...
psikey
W960
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:48
Is the 64MB increaed RAM (i.e for program use) or just internal storage for data & apps?

Hope its the RAM so that Opera works without the memory errors all the time.

Also, is Opera built-in replacing the Browser currently in the P800/P900
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:48
Quote:

On 2004-07-15 11:46:11, Navras wrote:
The review did not confirm DUO pro support it just said technically it was possible to use cards up to 1Gb but they did not try it and just stated a 128mb MMC card does the job ???? !!!!

Also the 262k screen is rubbish and just looks like a 65k display

Camera is still VGA wtf is going on!

the only real improvement is the memory wheres the P1000? cant believe i;m stuck with the same phone for another year as soon as i'd get a p910 i will rip off the flip and thats it its just a p900 with a dodgy speaker cover.

The SE website press release confirms that it has Duo Pro support upto 1GB and a better screen!
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
pninehundred
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:50
I just got my p9 2months back and a new one is out.. sigh.
I only wish that my p900 can be upgraded to p910
with a thumboard and able to accept cards of up to 1GB
blue8300
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-07-15 11:51
SE : "Sony Ericsson has taken this into account and expanded the internal memory from 16MB to 64MB and included a 32MB Memory Stick Duo in the box. The P910 supports up to 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro, creating almost endless possibilities to store and share images, video, music and business data."
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic