Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Connecting the k700i to the internet using bluetooth

12  Next
Author Connecting the k700i to the internet using bluetooth
bhambi
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-14 20:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi can anybody anwser this question please,

I want to connect the k700i to the internet through bluetooth on my PC rather than using the GPRS on the phone. Also what browser will work on the k700i.

cheers!!
Nezwart
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-24 15:43
I assume you mean using your PC's internet connection to browse on your phone via BT. I've had the same problem. I tried the link at
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jeroen[....]800%20Bluetooth%20internet.htm

This is quite detailed but is for P800 not K700i (I didn't get m-router with my K700i). File transfer works fine and I can even browse computers hard drive via bluetooth! It's just browsing internet when BT disconnects. I've tried the K700i standard browser and also Webviewer and both disconnect.

If the link helps anyone let me know.
buckle247
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-24 15:57
surley this can't be done with the available browsers, as they auto connect to gprs/wap when you try to surf with them. It isn't like on a PDA or PC where you have to get the connection before you surf the net.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2004-07-24 21:44
I found this on another site, it explains how to surf the web using a data cable, but then at the bottom also explains it works with Bluetooth too. I've not tried it, but apparently it works:

1. Install the J2ME SDK from Sony Ericsson. You can find it on the S.E. developers' site. This is slightly different from the one you will find on the Sun site, and you will need to use Sony Ericsson's version.

Now, here are some parameters you will need handy. Please replace the values with your appropriate ones.

Serial data cable to T616 connected on : COM1
The IP address of my PC : 192.168.0.100

1. In your cell phone, create a new data account called test.

This can be done by opening the menu in your T616 and going to Connect -> Data Comm -> Data Accounts -> New Account
Use the following parameters :
GPRS data
Name : test
APN :
User id :
Password :

Save this data account

2. Create a new WAP profile called test.

Connect -> Data Comm -> WAP Profiles -> New Profile
Use the following parameters :
Name : test
Connect using : select the data account called "test"
IP Address : 192.168.000.100 (replace this with the IP of your PC)
Save this profile

3. Activate this new WAP profile (select it as the default for all data transfers)

Connect -> Data Comm -> WAP Profiles -> Test

4. Connect your data cable.

5. Ensure that the correct COM port is enabled in the Sony Ericsson Phone Monitor. I have enabled COM1, you would need to enable your own COM port.

6. Start the Connection Proxy which is installed when you installed the Sony Ericsson J2ME SDK. I can find my Connection Proxy under : Start -> Programs -> Sony Ericsson -> J2ME SDK -> Connection Proxy.

7. Set your correct COM port in the connection proxy.
File->Settings->COM1
Baud Rate : 57600 [ you can push this up later after everything works]

8. Click on Connect. The status should change to :
"Connected on COM1 at 57600"
If this did not work, you've either got the wrong cable, got your port wrong, or the port is not enabled in the Mobile Phone Monitor.

9. Once the phone and PC are connected, start the Device Explorer which was installed with the Sony Ericsson J2ME SDK. I can find this under : Start -> Programs -> Sony Ericsson -> J2ME SDK -> Device Explorer.

It will automatically try to connect to your phone and after it is connected, you should see a tree structure listing the applications installed on your phone. If this cannot connect or times out, you've again got something wrong with the COM port.

10. Go to the file menu in the Device Explorer and enable the option called "Serial Networking".

11. Exit the Device explorer (because the serial n/w option does not take effect until you restart).

12. Restart the Device Explorer. Wait until you see the tree structure listing the applications on your phone.

13. You are now ready to test the TCP/IP connectivity between your phone and PC.
I have installed Webviewer [a Java based HTML browser for the T616].
You can find this at : http://www.reqwireless.com/download-webviewer.html

You will need to download the jad file as well as the jar file.

14. To install the webviewer application, after downloading these 2 files, place them in the same folder.

15. Go back to your Device Explorer.
File -> Install.

Browse to the folder and select the location of the jar as well as jad files. After entering both locations, click Install. The application should be uploaded to your phone. Once it is uploaded, it will appear in the list of installed apps in Device Explorer.

16. Select the app Webviewer->Webviewer. Right click and select Start. This will start the application in your phone. You will see the Java icon etc and then the webviewer app will appear.

17. Enter any reassonable URL such as http://www.google.com
Note that webviewer is a HTML browser and not a wap browser so you can go to any regular web site on your cell phone.

18. After entering the URL, you should see "Contacting server" at the bottom in the status bar.

19. You might then be prompted to allow web access. I get the options :
Allow Web Access
Ask Per Access
Deny Web Access

Select the option "Allow Web Access".

20. You should see the status "Waiting for Reply" followed by the status bar showing the download progress.

21. If the status bar is stuck at "Waiting for Reply", try clicking "Disconnect" followed "Connect" in the Connection Proxy. You will need to exit and restart the webviewer app if you disconnect.

22. If that does not help, try removing the cable, shutting off the phone, restarting the phone, and attaching the cable again. You will then need to restart the Connection Proxy followed by restarting the Device Explorer.

23. If you do see the Google home page, there is still one important thing. Make sure that you do not see the internet connection (GPRS data) icon at the top left of your cell phone. This icon looks like a globe symbol, and indicates that you are using your cell phone service provider's GPRS data service and therefore not using the serial cable and PC connection. If this happens, follow the instructions in the previous step #21

Hint : When the phone is exchanging data with the PC, the Connection Proxy will show green arrows to indicated data transfer. The in and out byte counts should also keep going up. If you are able to browse but do not see the green arrows and byte counts going up in the Connection proxy then you are somehow using your service provider's GPRS service and therefore paying for the airtime and/or data transfer by the KB. That is not what you want to do.

Now for the final toast : I was able to do the same over a Bluetooth connection between my phone and PC. Instead of the data cable, I connected over a serial port defined under the services published by the cell phone device. Make sure you select that COM port number in the Connection Proxy. Also ensure that Bluetooth has been enabled and the cell phone has been correctly paired with the PC. Everything else remains the same.

Have fun. It took me many weeks to get this working, since I had to figure out every step by trial and error.
If you are stuck and cannot get something to work, I might take a look (depending on how busy I am on that day). You can write to me at jamshedd@yahoo.com

Happy browsing.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
hallon
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-29 19:09
Have anyone got this working yet? I tried, but I seem to have problem getting the phone to connect to the net through the computer. I have a K700i (vodafone) and I created a new datacom and a new internetsetting (wap, not http) that uses datacom with my computers IP, but it does'nt work.. ther's no traffic over the serial buss when I connect.. so I don't think the phone sees any PC.. my settings are probably wrong.
tdmusic
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-08-17 23:57
I've got it working with my K700i... The thing that I was going wrong with was I was trying to launch WebViewer/whatever on the K700 itself - in fact, you should be launching it using the DeviceExplorer (by rightclicking and choosing Start) - a bit inconvenient maybe, but it works.

If you need some more help feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my best, dj_tommyd AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk...

Tom
hallon
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 12:44
GREAT!! Hurray! I'm gonna try that when I get home!! great!
thebman919
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 15:57
the only j2me sdk i could find was version 2.1.3 (beta) which is 35.6 megs! can any1 give me a link to download a previous version like 1.2 so it'll b smaller... i have a t610 so the java midp 2.0 support is unnescessary
thebman919
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 21:14
Nvm... i got round to downloading it... now when i try to install it it says i need to have the java development kit installed version 1.4.1 or higher. i went to the webpage and there are loads of downloads! which 1 should i download? plz! any help appreciated
countert610
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 21:44
it says the same thing to me, then i searched the homepage and found a development kit, but i cant find the file that the program needs:???:

what shall i do
thebman919
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 22:02
do a search for the "java.exe" file that it asks for in the directory that you installed the developers kit. and by the way, which one did u install?
countert610
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 22:08
2_1_3 beta

i tried the other one too, and i tried all the java.exe files that i could find

arenīt there any who have got it too work, who can tell us exactly what they installed;-)

[ This Message was edited by: countert610 on 2004-08-18 21:12 ]
HjJ
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-08-18 22:21
To those of you needing to download the J2SE SDK, try this page: Sun Java Download.

Click on the link labeled "Download J2SE SDK".

This is a very large download.
victork30@toughguy.net
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-08-24 00:54
It really works! I'm using a T610 here at broadband speed hahaha.
Thanks. i thought t610 couldn't do tcp/ip! oh well, its all good!
jake1516
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-09-16 23:21
bump, any more info on this??????
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi