Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Bengalboy's Bible "How to rip & encode DVD's for playback on your K700/S700/ & P900"

Author Bengalboy's Bible "How to rip & encode DVD's for playback on your K700/S700/ & P900"
Bengalboy
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-17 23:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
So now that alot of you are getting K700i phones and won't to exploit all its features and high tech goodness, I am posting my tutorial on how to rip DVDs and encode them using PvAuthor. This was created by me some time ago when the P900 was first introduced and posted far...far..away in a land called HoFo...

So, for those who are interested in ripping their favorite scenes from DVDs for playback on their new K700i's, the upcoming S700 and the current P900/P800...enjoy the following tutorial.

My current experience with the K700 so far has been exceptional using #1 DVD Ripper and PvAuthor using the Nokia 7650 encoding profile. I have also ripped a whole movie "The Cell" and encoded it at 45mb total. With adjustment of bit/rates in video and sound this could probably be lowered to fit the K700i's 40mb limit, but probably the best thing to do would be to rip half a movie encode it and then rip and encode the final half which #1 DVD Ripper does automatically. Be sure to use the Nokia 7650 profile when encoding for optimum results or manually play with the settings to optimize the K700i's screen. Remember, the S700 is coming soon and the phone is special made for encoding and watching movies with its 262k screen and external memory.

The "Matrix Reloaded Chapter 12" encoded with PvAuthors Nokia 7650 settings...2mb for this chapter.... try Mpegable for additional encoding versatility or my favorite SmartMovie for the P900. SmartMovie requires a special player which is not available for the K700i at this time.....

All video transfer was accomplished using the K700i's wonderful bluetooth implementation and should make for very easy and convienent file transfers for morning commutes of new shows, new movies, etc....keep your favorites on your PC and just delete from the K700 with a quick bluetooth transfer of the saved encoded move from your PC back to the K700.

K700i Playing the "Matrix Reloaded Chapter 12"

Remember, this is very tiny screen, but the video and the resolution are fantastic...just to show off!!

So, here is my old review and my technique...at the time I did this I am unaware of anyone who knew how or was willing to show us. I learned the hardway through trial and error, trying different applications and programs before finding the right ripper program that created a file the PvAuthor program played nice with.

So, enjoy...and get ready to really use this for the S700...
Okay members.....I just got my P900 and let me tell you....it's got a Screen that you won't believe!!! With a powerful battery and video player capabilities, not to mention stereophonic sound,,,,the P900 is perfect for entertaining the busy traveler or vacationist who finds themselves wanting to see their favorite movie. So as a little Halloween present to the members with P900's,,,P800's or just for people who intend to get one and want to start getting prepared for the big arrivial,,,I present "Bengal Boy's.... How to Burn & Turn your P900 into a Mobile Theatre.."

Our adventure begins at the end....

Go in Peace Mr. Telephone....Telesphore.....a new device is taking over our lives........

So,,,,how do you get your favorite DVD onto a memory stick duo???:confused: :confused: I am here to show you what you need to rip, encode, and transfer a full feature length movie from the DVD's that you purchase from your favorite video store....Remember, ripping your own commercial DVD's is acceptable behavior,,,but use this information to create files for download or transfer to your friends and you may find yourself the party to a lawsuit by the Movie Industry equivilent of the RIAA....Therefore I give the following disclaimer,,, ""BENGALBOY DOES NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ILLEGAL ACTIONS OF OTHERS AND PROVIDES THIS INFO FOR EDUCATIONAL USE AND INSTRUCTION ONLY!!""

So,,,,What do you need? Well first of all your favorite DVD would be great and a fast computer with a above average RAM... I am using a Pentium 4 mobile at 2.4ghz, 512mb DDR ram and the coolest current DVD..."Matrix..Reloaded"......you will also need the following:

1. A DVD Movie of your choice.
2. A fast computer with a DVD drive and playback software.
3. A 128mb Memory Stick Duo.
4. A copy of #1 DVD Ripper software.
http://www.dvdtox.com/dvd_ripper.htm
5. A copy of PVauthor MPEG4 encoding software.
http://www.packetvideo.com/shop/authordownload.asp
6. A P900 or P800 with stereo headphones.
7. A card reader or USB docking station.

This process can be broken down into 3 distinct parts or processes..Ripping, Encoding, and Transfer........So without further adeww...How to Rip, Encode and Transfer your favorite DVD to your Sony Memory Stick Duo for viewing on your P900!! Please....don't cry:( ,,,,,,I know I've just answered your prayers...

I. RIPPING A DVD TO YOUR HARD-DRIVE:

Okay, first you need to be sure that you have installed on your computer the following software....A program that enables you to view and play DVD's such as PowerDVD or WinDVD player. A copy of #1DVD Ripper or an equivilent DVD ripping program. A copy of PVAuthor or an equivilent MPEG4 encoding program such as Mpegable.. These programs are either previously installed on your computer or readily available for download on the internet.

First, open your DVD for playback and begin the movie.

T
This is neccesary in order to avoid the following error message when opening #1 DVD Ripper

......Once the movie is playing, simply press the pause button or right click your mouse and select pause.....

Now open #1 DVD Ripper...the screen will look like this....

Inside of #1 DVD Ripper you will see the different files as set out above....these are the files to the movie, special features, and individual chapters...you should uncheck every single box except the one box at the top with all the chapters of the movie underneath...it will have out-beside it a time of about 2 hours ...more or less. You can rip single chapters in which case you will uncheck everybox except for the specific chapters you want ripped. The reason for doing this is you only want the movie, nothing more,,,,no special features, menus, etc...

Now set your settings for the file type you want to rip your DVD vob file too, select MPEG1 (VCD), MPEG2 (SVCD) avi, divix, mpeg4.

I have tried both avi and MPEG1 and find that the program works faster with the MPEG1 selection,,,regardless,,,be prepared to wait for approximately 3 hours for the movie to be ripped to your hard-drive.

Finish your settings for audio,,,

Aspect ratio....

Frame rate...remember that you want to encode in NTSC format for the frame rate if you live in North America....PAL is the format for Asia and Europe..

Audio Track...

Finally, unless you intend to backup your DVD to a VCD, go to the following menu and select custom....at split mode..this will keep the program from breaking the DVD into 2 seperate files for burning VCDs. You just want one to go on your 128mb stick. You can still install the two files on your stick and just click on the second part once the first is finished. But if you just want one continuous movie on your P900, don't forget this menu.....

Now you are ready to RIP.......hit the rip button and the program will automatically begin to rip your commercial DVD into the file format you specified to the output location of your harddrive that you set.:light:

Yes,,,,it's that easy......

But be prepared to wait, depending on the type of computer you are using you will need to give #1 DVD Ripper approximately 3 hours to rip through a feature film..

When you are finished you will have a file like this....

II. ENCODE YOUR RIPPED MPEG OR AVI FILE INTO A MPEG4.

Now you are ready to take your MPEG or AVI file and encode it into a Mpeg4 file that can be played on the P900. To do this I use Packet Video's PVAuthor although there are other programs such as Mpegable that can do this. The reason????? PVAuthor has profiles that are customized to the P800 specifically, and this company was selected as the player and recording software provider for the P900......so,,,,updates and upgrades to the PVAuther program optimizing encoding for use on the P900's beautiful screen should follow very quickly.

Open PVAuthor....

Now go to Profiles and select the Device Specific file,

Choose the 30fps NTSC for the best frame rate for North American DVD's...

Now select P800 stereosmooth setting or another of your choice..

Select your file that you created above with #1 DVD Ripper....

Now select encode/start and let the PVAuthor encode your Mpeg file into the Mpeg4 format for your P900....It will take approximately 20-30 minutes to encode your 2 hour movie...

When your movie is encoded it will be place in a file in PVAuthor like this....

And now your 1.2gb file has been reduced to a 93mb file that contains a 2 hour and 7 minute movie....

III. TRANSFER YOUR MPEG4 TO YOUR MEMORY STICK DUO..

Now use your USB cradle and P900/P800 to move the MPEG4 file you encoded with PVAuthor in Step 2 above or,,,use a card reader/writer,,,,which is faster and simpler to do in my opinion and example.

Insert your duo into the Memory Stick Duo Adapter and place it in the card reader/writer. Now go to "My Computer" and find your memory stick...open it...the files will look like this....

Select video and open it... it will say unfiled....open this file....

While leaving the above file opened, go to your program files, PVAuthor and locate your MPEG4 file.....right click on it and select copy......

Now go back to your memory stick file, video, unfiled, right click on your mouse and select Paste....

The movie will then be copied to your Memory Stick Duo for playing on your Glorious P900 Screen.......

Once the copy light stops on your reader/writer take the Duo Adapter out and remove your Duo. Place it in your P900 and you are off to the Movies.....all you need is some Pop-Corn and a Date......Here's mine......

Screen shots of the Matrix Reloaded playing on the P900...

Photos don't really do this screen justice..you have to see and use it in person. The playback is very smooth and the audio is phenomenal!!! It is very entertaining. For those with P800's it is still a very good experience, but you will see a jerkiness to the frame rate although the sound will be just as good. Get a P900 if you really want a pocket theater experience....it's that good...and I don't think you will find better outside of a $600 5inch screen dedicated DVD portable player.

I want to thank DaPope for helping me find the very best DVD Ripper program I think available....Stan's the Man!! Also, I want to encourage others who have far more expertise and specialized information than I regarding this process to share suggestions and comments on how to get an even better result..

Sony/Ericsson P900,,,Run,,,,,,before it gets you.........

[ This Message was edited by: Bengalboy on 2004-06-17 23:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bengalboy on 2004-06-17 23:02 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:06
well I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend
thanks!
Bengalboy
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:14
Enjoy and experiment with the settings...rip a small chapter to play with....and then you can encode and delete your results till you find the combination that works best...save that in PvAuthor as your default and then rip and encode away...

Remember, ripping video takes a strong computer, or lots of time. Thats why it's best to find the settings necessary for the optimum results before spending the time to rip a whole movie. I usually rip at night while I'm asleep.

Also, very important for you Europeans....DO NOT!! USE THE NTSC SETTINGS... USE PAL!!

PAL is the encryption standard for Europe and all settings in DVD Ripper and PvAuthor should be set for PAL DVDs....
Mark Morrow
BOOYAR
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:19
Bloody brilliant, i'm going to get on with ripping every single family guy episode from my box sets ready for when i get the k700 :-):-D:-)

This message was posted from a T610

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:23
I do think where the P900 is suitable for anything up to full movies, the k700 is probably best at individual 30 minute episodes, like the simpsons

you probably wouldn't want to watch that screen for too long in one go
Bengalboy
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:27
Right, for short clips or 30 minute shows, I think its great, music videos, cartoons, TV shows, Exciting Movie Scenes, etc...but then again, it gives alot of people who never owned a P900 an opportunity to get experienced for the upcoming S700 which should be outstanding for watching a full movie on...
Mark Morrow
BOOYAR
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:35
Not to mention friends, futurama and southpark episodes. Great i'm so excited

This message was posted from a T610

Millenniumcult
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 00:44
Thanx Bengalboy!! Am transfering my first video file to the K700 (Bluetooth is realy slow when it comes to files bigger the 500kb). A nice test drivce made by Top Gear of the Aston Martin DB9. Me want badly! It would match my K700 superbly...
kristaga
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-18 19:13
Amazing and interesting!

One question: I see that with the P900 you can play the movie sideways/fullscreen. Is it possible to do something similar with K700? You know, like saving the movie file displaced 90 degrees so it will fill out the screen available like on the P900?

Kristian André [addsig]
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 19:18
Good old Bengalboy is back!!!!
Lot's a pics as usual.

Thanks for this guide. It's very helpful... [addsig]
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 19:20
excellent i didn't know i would ever say this, but nice to have you back
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 19:23
that's a lot of pics!

[addsig]
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-18 19:24
Obviously it's the first time you read a thread from Bengalboy...
[addsig]
Guy89
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-06-19 09:08
really cool
P905
jontyf
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-19 11:04
Cool I didn't know you have ever stepped a foot out of HoFo
That is good but I dont know how to use a data cable!

I aint got a bluetooth/infared comp
So anyway it was fun reading it
Elle - "...Which in the very near future, will be my sword"
Bea - "Bitch, you dont have a future..."
Bea - "... What did you say to Pai Mey to make him snatch out your eye?"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi