Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Sony vaio VGN-X505VP

Author Sony vaio VGN-X505VP
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-03 19:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Trusted Reviews absolutely gushes over the Sony VAIO VGN-X505VP, and really, how can you blame them? The X505VP is Sony's super-slim ultra-portable, just 21mm at its thickest and 11mm at its thinnest ends. With a 1.1GHz Pentium M, 512 MB RAM, a bundle of extra hardware including a multi-format memory card reader, DVD burner, and carrying case, as well as included (but not integrated) 802.11g, there's really not questioning the fact that the X505 is one of the world's most desirable laptops. If I had a spare $3,700 around this would already be mine.
[addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-09 22:08
Full Review

It Doesn't Get Thinner Than the Latest Sony VAIO

How thin and light can a notebook get? Ask Sony. Its latest VAIO creation measures just 0.6 by 10.1 by 8.3 inches (HWD), making it one of the thinnest notebooks we've ever seen. At an astonishing system weight of 1.8 pounds, you won't even notice it in your bag; but considering the system's $3,000 price tag, you're likely to feel it in your wallet.

With a little design ingenuity, Sony maximized the small space provided by placing the notebook's tiny motherboard above the keyboard, which is why this system can still hold an ultralow-voltage Pentium M processor, 512MB of RAM, and a 20GB hard drive. We give kudos to Sony for including these relatively beefy components in such a small package. (We did not run our benchmark test suite on the X505ZP because the model we received for testing was a preproduction system.)

The outer shell of the system is made from a unique nickel/carbon fiber, which gives the system a sturdy feel, while the inner layout looks like graphite, maintaining the traditional VAIO elegance. The 10.4-inch screen doesn't use Sony's Xbrite technology, found on other VAIOs, but it is still one of the brighter screens offered on an ultraportable.

The keyboard is small, with each key pitch only measuring 13mm (19mm is the norm). To compensate, Sony adds substantial spacing between the keys. This translates into a keyboard that is 90 percent full-size (equivalent to 17mm), similar to what we've seen on other minis like the Sharp Actius MM20. And actually, the keyboard is quite responsive, as is the pointing stick.

As expected, the system's design leaves little room for connectivity features. There are two USB ports, one FireWire port, one type II PC Card slot, and a DC out port. Sony includes a VGA port and 100Mb Ethernet via a detachable dongle. Since there is no built-in wireless, a Sony 802.11g PC Card specially designed to fit seamlessly with the notebook comes bundled with the system.

Interestingly, Sony also added a Memory Stick slot to the bundled USB mouse. You can't see the speakers, which lie below the right side of the keyboard. We strongly suggest you use the headphone jack, adjacent to the PC Card slot, for listening to music or other audio content.

We are repeatedly impressed with how small and light systems can get: There's the Toshiba Portégé R100 (0.7 inches thick and 2.3 pounds) and the Sharp Actius MM20 (0.8 inches thick and 2.0 pounds). But nobody does it like Sony. The X505ZP is a gorgeous system wrapped in a beautiful, razor-thin body, proving that Sony continues to forge ahead in innovation and inspiring designs.

[addsig]
Sir-SonyEricsson-man
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-09 22:25
It has only 1.1 Ghz I need more than that.. So i think my Acer Ferrari 3000 is still the best
Sony Xperia 1 II, Xperia 5, Huawei P30 Pro
rrojas260
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-09 22:28
I prefer my desktop pc, so much faster Pentium 3.2G HT
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-23 16:39
Sony win innovation award for the
PCG-X505/P
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=73019&forum=12 [addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-10-23 16:55
I love vaios and am on my 5th one (1 a year) since they started making them but having seen this one at Dixons Gatwick duty free a couple of weeks ago it really felt like it would break in half if I touched it too hard. It really is so thin!

for the price, the specifications really aren't that good and I wouldn't buy this one
50Cent
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-10-23 16:58
Quote:

On 2004-10-23 16:55:31, masseur wrote:
it really felt like it would break in half if I touched it too hard. It really is so thin!

for the price, the specifications really aren't that good and I wouldn't buy this one

i agree. if i did have one i wouldnt use it in case i broke it
Trusted Trader: 50Cent (+6, -0)
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-23 17:04
Quote:

On 2004-10-23 16:55:31, masseur wrote:
I love vaios and am on my 5th one (1 a year) since they started making them but having seen this one at Dixons Gatwick duty free a couple of weeks ago it really felt like it would break in half if I touched it too hard. It really is so thin!

I love vaio's aswell im on my second one at the moment.needless to say i will continue to upgrade to future viao's.I have also played around with this at my local sony centre and love it but i agree the specs are not to impressive to say the least for the price,and i would never purchase one either...But i will have to admit it is a stunning piece of technology and very tempting. [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi