Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > A better SE

Previous  12
Author A better SE
bico
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-17 21:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
One of the necessary improvements for SE is to achieve a production capacity in parity with the demand. That's very important to make potential customers happy and to get a positive image.

If you can't produce enought phones, you can't supply enought phones. It's as simple as that.
TheRealSpawn
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-17 21:47
Quote:

On 2004-05-17 21:03:05, leew347 wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-05-17 19:37:49, TheRealSpawn wrote:
The T230 - also a nice phone - but again not quite there (screen and memory is lacking compared to competition),

Errmm excuse me but most of the nokia phones under £150 only have 4 096 colour screens and quite a few dont have cameras. The only improvements SE should have made to thrash nokias ass it put a radio on it n possably a built in camera.

I disagree - there are other competitors besides nokia that needs to be considered with better screens. Like Samsung and others.
And also nokia is so build into peoples habbits that they can get away with poor screens. If S//E wants to get some of these customers, they need to deliver something better than nokia. Equal is not enough.
Most of these buyers would still bye nokia even if their are S//E phones with better specs at lower cost. They accept 4 tones poly and poor UI cause nokias sms and menuspeed is faster and its what they are used to. Especially in the lower end segment.

I also disagree on some peoples beleive that S//E wants to have an exclusive image at any cost.
This "roumor" is something made up by S//E fans that consider S//E to be exclusive and like the idea, - because it kinda hightens their own feelings for their purchase - but the wast majority of buyers doesnt really consider S//E to be that exclusive. Im in contact with a couple of hundreds of people and most of them dont consider my t610 or S//E to be anything special and looks at me with wonder when I show them my themes etc. and still find their flashing nokias superior.
The wast majority still buys nokias and considers S//E phones to be inferior. And S//E is not in the business to try and have some exclusive image in general where only a few can afford or want their phones - they are in the business to sell phones - preferably in large numbers. Let me assure you that if S//E could increase their marketshares 20% worldwide by releasing a few phones less exclusive they definately would. Naturally they try to have as good a brand as possible - but the main objective is still to sell their products. Not just to have an exclusive brand.

[ This Message was edited by: TheRealSpawn on 2004-05-17 20:54 ]
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-05-17 21:52
i hope that se is going to introduce soon a cool 3g phone - this wouldn't only help se, this would also help the 3g market - because their is such a leak of GOOD 3g phones
i don't really know but in my opinion i don't think that they are going to sell something like a F700/T650 - they can't sell/release two phones with the same features only a different design, in the same periode - because nobody would buy a s700, if there would be a smaller version with the same features
unless the F700/T650 would differ in things like megapixel cam, memory slot...
a good thing to do would be to release a upgraded Z200(mms and higher screen resolution), a downgraded T610 (no bluetooth, no alu cover, but exchange able covers, smaller screen), a new low-end phone with a 4k screen only higher resolution than the T230 has and a clamshell phone with the specs of the k700
and something i would wish for - european a premini - with a different keyboard design
swipe108
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 03:38
@TheRealSpawn

I've read somewhere that SE's Near term goal is to be profitable and that right now higher overall market share is not their target. What they want to achive in the next 5 years or so to gain market share in the high and middle segments and just maintain presence in the lower segments. this is illustrated by the P series and the T series and they are reinforcing this with the introduction of the K and S series.

I kinda agree with their strategy as I don't believe that they will be able to woo away market share from nokia, motorola and samsung in a few months or a year even if they have a huge line-up. Users of those manufacturers also have loyal followers.

SE has already established a foothold and they now need to build a stronger base which they can't do if they start churning out phones that they can't sell immediately. Manufacturing phones costs money as well as keeping them in warehouses. If they have an over stock, their profitability is going to suffer as well as their image as a sellable phone. By keeping stocks low and the product line small, they keep their manufacturing costs and warehousing costs down which improves their profitability and guarantees that neither sony nor ericsson will bail out on the joint venture.
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-18 07:06
I love all the SE models cause they look different from the dominant nokias. I also hope that SE doesnt give confusing names to its phones like nokia does.

This message was posted from a WAP device

kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 07:18
well almost every cell phone manufacturer has the same 'basic' name.

i.e. v600, z600, t600, e715, etc etc [addsig]
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-18 10:27
I think SE should concentrate more in the emerging markets in asia mainly India and China. These two countries with a combined population of more than two billion is a market which SE cannot afford to overlook . What do you think ?

michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 15:19
As usual also with many computer extensions, they have very nice pieces of hardware, but the software is not up to par. Look at their menu, for example: I have the feeling that the different submenus have been written by different people. There is no uniformity whatsoever, in one menu you have to press the C key to delete things while in others one of the - keys is programmed for that function. For some entries, you can press the right - key to popup some help, for others, plain nothing. Some help screens are well written, others are just a repeat of the command itself without any additional explanation. And so on....
Also, in their manual, too many functions are simply not mentionned.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-18 17:01
@michka: i think the menu is logical (that's mainly cuz it's icon style) but i found a Alcatel (actually all of them since then) even better in logic menus. But back to the point, yes they r written by diff'rent ppl and it's normal to be so.What u mean , they r not uniform. But i disagree as it takes a couple of days to get used to something... is no diff'rent.
Other than that, the soft is up to par and i TOTALLY disagree when ppl r sayin' that the T series r slow, especially the T610! I tried it for a long time until i bought my T610 for exactly this reason.I hated when Erocsson were slow and never bought one until the T610 for the same reason>But now that slowness is gone.
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 17:20
701> The menus are well organized and well thought, I agree and have no difficulty with that. However as you say yourself, the way you interact with the submenus or commands is not uniform. This should not be, as it takes additional time (and memory, poor old me) to learn to use the thing. It is not that difficult to have a uniform human interface, is it?
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-18 17:37
Well, i meant, in theory i know what u mean but i think they r well well arranged. This is somewhat "subjective" and if u take 10 ppl and 10 interfaces it's pretty hard to match them up, u know?
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-19 11:21
I still think that the emerging markets hold a key to SE's future. If they ignore these markets i dont think SE would ever pose a challenge to Nokia

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi