Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Sony’s 25GB paper Blu-Ray discs

12  Next
Author Sony’s 25GB paper Blu-Ray discs
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 15:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

We doubt there are many things in this world that store 25GB and are biodegradable, so kudos to Sony and Toppan Printing, who have come up with a type of media for the next-gen Blu-Ray Disc format that’s 51% paper. Advantages include being able to print complex designs on the label side, and post-disposal security since you can cut them in half with a pair of scissors. It’s not altogether clear at the moment how long the disks last, though, or whether they’re supposed to be semi-disposable or not.

[Image removed][Image removed][Image removed][Image removed][Image removed]
[addsig]
Chazzer3
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 16:21
Wow, interesting! I heard of Blu-Ray DVD's but not paper discs!
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 16:23
good idea. as long as the dog doesnt chew it up...

This message was posted from a P900

mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 16:25
man that's awesome 25 gb on a paper
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-11 20:27

We were almost starting to enjoy the bickering over which of the two competing high-density disc formats — NEC and Toshiba’s HD-DVD or Sony and Pioneer’s Blu-ray disc — would end up succeeding today’s regular DVDs. Almost. Right now we’d rather they just hurry up and start coming out with high-definition DVDs and high-definition DVD players for us to watch them on. This probably won’t settle things once and for all, since both camps are pretty firmly entrenched, but the DVD Forum (which decides these things) is getting ready to pick one format over the other. The smart money says it’s gonna be HD-DVD, but either way we’re probably going to end up with some inane repeat of the VHS vs. Betamax thing, with some movie studios supporting HD-DVD and others releasing their movies on Blu-ray discs.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/a[....]aid,116471,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp [addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-08 15:10
Sony, Matsushita to Debut Blu-Ray Disc Camcorders in '05

Firms that are supporting one of the next-generation DVD formats, the Blu-ray Disc, plan to release camcorders that record on smaller versions of the discs as early as 2005.

The Blu-ray Disc Association, the group promoting the format, is expected to set technical specifications for Blu-ray discs as early as the first half of next year.

Sony Corp, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd and Sharp Corp plan to develop smaller, 8cm discs for recording. These devices are 4cms smaller than current Blue-ray discs. The firms will then each introduce camcorders that use these smaller discs, which will have a capacity of about 15GB, 40% less than standard Blue-ray discs.

The companies aim to achieve recording times similar to conventional tapes. For example, a Sony camcorder can continuously record 80 minutes to two hours of high-definition video on a single tape.

Consumers will be able to easily record high-quality video outdoors and enjoy the convenience of viewing camcorder recordings as is on home Blu-ray Disc players and computers.

Sony and Victor Co of Japan, known as JVC, currently sell tape-format, high-definition camcorders for about 400,000 yen, almost triple the price of normal camcorders. Camcorders that use the new Blu-ray discs will likely carry similar price tags.

Firms backing the Blu-ray format have been competing with the other next-generation DVD format, HD-DVD, which is supported by such companies as NEC Corp and Toshiba Corp.
[addsig]
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-10-08 15:43
Ah but you can spill coffee on a dvd and it will still play fine, try it with a paper one!
Hello, Scroto!

U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, you ugly!
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-02 21:23
This is no joke but Pioneer has created a biodegradable Blu-Ray optical disk made of corn starch resin. Of course, nothing biodegrades in a landfill, where 99% of discarded disks end up, but who cares? Corn Blu-Ray discs store 25 gigabytes of data and they're crunchy and delicious. The farming lobby is solidly behind Pioneer's technology.

[addsig]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2004-11-02 23:44
i was just wandering the other day what had happeded to Blu Disc, i saw it in T3 about a year ago or something!

glad to see its still on track!

fatreg
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-04 21:28
Want to know what a Blu-ray disc made out of corn starch looks like? I never knew that 25GB of data could look so delicious...First edible data in the world...No need to recycle,just eat it!

[addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-11 14:17
Sharp, first Blu-Ray recorder with hard drive

Title says it all...except for how this is more than $3000 dollars.

Sharp Corporation will release the "BD-HD100" Blu-Ray recorder containing a hard drive o­n December 9th. It is listed as Open Price, and the estimated retail price is around 320,000 yen.

This is a High Definition recorder that contains Blu-Ray disc drive, DVD-R/RW drive, and 160GB hard drive. It supports the recording/playback of Blu-Ray discs as well as the recording/playback of DVD-R/RW discs. o­nly single layer Blu-Ray discs are supported, and both 23GB and 25GB media is supported. Supported tuners include terrestrial, BS, 110 CS digital, and terrestrial analog.

It features an i.Link port, and can "move" content from supported devices such as the "DV-HRD2/20/200" also from Sharp. Also, it is furnished with an HDMI port for video output. Sharp has of course suggested this be used as an "AQUOS High Definition Recorder" to go with their AQUOS line of LCD TVs.

[addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-29 18:31
Panasonic also starts production of its 50-GIGABYTE Blu-ray Discs.

gizmag

[addsig]
haynesycop
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-12-29 18:43
50gb

That is crazy my rubbish pc has a 40gb hard drive

[ This Message was edited by: miss copperfield on 2005-12-29 17:43 ]
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-12-30 17:47
Woah!! this is truely good news!! this will definately lower the price of Blue-ray....
Never Give Up!
N.E.O
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-12-30 21:01
@ axxxr did you get the paper disc info from bbc?. I read nearly the same article a few months ago on the bbc. I which one would ya prefer Br or Hd dvd?. I would like Br better cuz more data i dont care if it's a bit more money.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi