Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > Using my PC\s internet connection

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 89 101112  Next
Author Using my PC\s internet connection
jamshedd
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-01-25 04:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Dan - I have been succesful starting the browser application both ways - using the Device Explorer as well as directly from the phone. You are right, you need to use a seperate browser. The built in browser seems to be hardcoded to use the GPRS connection.

bongzino - what you are thinking of is exactly what this whole long thread is about - using your phone to browse but using a different internet connection such as your PC instead of using the phone's default GPRS connection (since phone companies charge seperately for the data).

Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-25 13:31
Again... someone alread asked...:

Do I need to have ICS or another proxy sharing then internet connection; or somehow the device explorer does the job?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-25 13:44
device explorer does the job. It's like the Microsoft Activesync for Pocket PC, which also hosts an internet connection for connected pocket pc's to use, without sharing the network on the computer.
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-25 15:14
Ok...

Then, I made it work; I even deleted the profiles from the phone (Data & Internet), and the connection still worked even without those; when starting from the device explorer it seems to "transfer" the configuration to the phone temporarily, so it will work with the computer (probably why a lot of use cannot start it from the phone).

Now... it doesn't work anymore. Using Opera, is says connecting or something; but nothing else happens, it freezes. The only reaction I can give to the phone is disconnecting my ADSL; doing that while Opera is "Connecting" triggers an error in the phone saying "couldn't connect to server" or something; so that lead me to think that the phone & PC are connected. But, somehow, the internet connection doesn't resolve; that's why I asked if it needed ICS (although I tried with it on, off, every way). Neither do I have an active firewall or something blocking the connection...

Any clues?

Thanks.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-26 00:18
basically the phone to computer is a serial connection not a tcp/ip, so I wouldn't have thought ICS would help at all. The Device Explorer is uses the "connection proxy" to perform ICS type services for the phone. The connection between the phone and computer is not tcp/ip, so ICS can't share out the connection to the phone. That's what the connection proxy is all about.

The server not found error coming up, indicates that the phone is actually connected prior but for some reason is not resolving the site. Does an ip address work rather than a url?

I'll give it a go myself when I get a chance, it's been a while since I played with device explorer so I'm not much help at the moment

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-01-25 23:28 ]
brouno
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 13:30
Same here with k750i.

Work only within the SE J2ME device explorer.

Btw, in this manner no configuration on the phone is necessary (no comm data, nor internet settings)

As I understand, we get to know how the phone can know we want establish a communication "gprs like" through the tcpipoverserial link supported by the connectionproxy.

Perhaps there is a "special" gprs APN to turn this feature on, while the connectionproxy is connected to the phone.

My 2 cents.
B.
RobinThomas
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-17 08:38
How can i do it with w800i?

I tried it with these settings:

Connectivity>Data Comm.>Data Accounts>New Account>GPRS Data>test

Connectivity>Internet Settings>Internet Profiles>New Profile>test
Connect Using>test, Internet Mode>wap, Gateway Address>192.168.0.3, Sequrity>Off

Internet Profiles>test

Its not working.

Step 4 to 13 is working.

Please Help.

Quote:

On 2004-05-17 23:53:46, jamshedd wrote:
Well, I managed to do what I set out to do (using my PCs internet connection to browse on my T616). Here's how :

1. Install the J2ME SDK from Sony Ericsson. You can find it on the S.E. developers' site. This is slightly different from the one you will find on the Sun site, and you will need to use Sony Ericsson's version.

Now, here are some parameters you will need handy. Please replace the values with your appropriate ones.

Serial data cable to T616 connected on : COM1
The IP address of my PC : 192.168.0.100

1. In your cell phone, create a new data account called test.

This can be done by opening the menu in your T616 and going to Connect -> Data Comm -> Data Accounts -> New Account
Use the following parameters :
GPRS data
Name : test
APN :
User id :
Password :

Save this data account

2. Create a new WAP profile called test.

Connect -> Data Comm -> WAP Profiles -> New Profile
Use the following parameters :
Name : test
Connect using : select the data account called "test"
IP Address : 192.168.000.100 (replace this with the IP of your PC)
Save this profile

3. Activate this new WAP profile (select it as the default for all data transfers)

Connect -> Data Comm -> WAP Profiles -> Test

4. Connect your data cable.

5. Ensure that the correct COM port is enabled in the Sony Ericsson Phone Monitor. I have enabled COM1, you would need to enable your own COM port.

6. Start the Connection Proxy which is installed when you installed the Sony Ericsson J2ME SDK. I can find my Connection Proxy under : Start -> Programs -> Sony Ericsson -> J2ME SDK -> Connection Proxy.

7. Set your correct COM port in the connection proxy.
File->Settings->COM1
Baud Rate : 57600 [ you can push this up later after everything works]

8. Click on Connect. The status should change to :
"Connected on COM1 at 57600"
If this did not work, you've either got the wrong cable, got your port wrong, or the port is not enabled in the Mobile Phone Monitor.

9. Once the phone and PC are connected, start the Device Explorer which was installed with the Sony Ericsson J2ME SDK. I can find this under : Start -> Programs -> Sony Ericsson -> J2ME SDK -> Device Explorer.

It will automatically try to connect to your phone and after it is connected, you should see a tree structure listing the applications installed on your phone. If this cannot connect or times out, you've again got something wrong with the COM port.

10. Go to the file menu in the Device Explorer and enable the option called "Serial Networking".

11. Exit the Device explorer (because the serial n/w option does not take effect until you restart).

12. Restart the Device Explorer. Wait until you see the tree structure listing the applications on your phone.

13. You are now ready to test the TCP/IP connectivity between your phone and PC.
I have installed Webviewer [a Java based HTML browser for the T616].
You can find this at : http://www.reqwireless.com/download-webviewer.html

You will need to download the jad file as well as the jar file.

14. To install the webviewer application, after downloading these 2 files, place them in the same folder.

15. Go back to your Device Explorer.
File -> Install.

Browse to the folder and select the location of the jar as well as jad files. After entering both locations, click Install. The application should be uploaded to your phone. Once it is uploaded, it will appear in the list of installed apps in Device Explorer.

16. Select the app Webviewer->Webviewer. Right click and select Start. This will start the application in your phone. You will see the Java icon etc and then the webviewer app will appear.

17. Enter any reassonable URL such as http://www.google.com
Note that webviewer is a HTML browser and not a wap browser so you can go to any regular web site on your cell phone.

18. After entering the URL, you should see "Contacting server" at the bottom in the status bar.

19. You might then be prompted to allow web access. I get the options :
Allow Web Access
Ask Per Access
Deny Web Access

Select the option "Allow Web Access".

20. You should see the status "Waiting for Reply" followed by the status bar showing the download progress.

21. If the status bar is stuck at "Waiting for Reply", try clicking "Disconnect" followed "Connect" in the Connection Proxy. You will need to exit and restart the webviewer app if you disconnect.

22. If that does not help, try removing the cable, shutting off the phone, restarting the phone, and attaching the cable again. You will then need to restart the Connection Proxy followed by restarting the Device Explorer.

23. If you do see the Google home page, there is still one important thing. Make sure that you do not see the internet connection (GPRS data) icon at the top left of your cell phone. This icon looks like a globe symbol, and indicates that you are using your cell phone service provider's GPRS data service and therefore not using the serial cable and PC connection. If this happens, follow the instructions in the previous step #21

Hint : When the phone is exchanging data with the PC, the Connection Proxy will show green arrows to indicated data transfer. The in and out byte counts should also keep going up. If you are able to browse but do not see the green arrows and byte counts going up in the Connection proxy then you are somehow using your service provider's GPRS service and therefore paying for the airtime and/or data transfer by the KB. That is not what you want to do.

Now for the final toast : I was able to do the same over a Bluetooth connection between my phone and PC. Instead of the data cable, I connected over a serial port defined under the services published by the cell phone device. Make sure you select that COM port number in the Connection Proxy. Also ensure that Bluetooth has been enabled and the cell phone has been correctly paired with the PC. Everything else remains the same.

Have fun. It took me many weeks to get this working, since I had to figure out every step by trial and error.
If you are stuck and cannot get something to work, I might take a look (depending on how busy I am on that day). You can write to me at jamshedd@yahoo.com

Happy browsing.

[ This Message was edited by: RobinThomas on 2006-02-17 07:43 ]
TeenInvader
T650 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-17 14:40
Quote:

On 2006-01-25 04:18:39, jamshedd wrote:
bongzino - what you are thinking of is exactly what this whole long thread is about - using your phone to browse but using a different internet connection such as your PC instead of using the phone's default GPRS connection (since phone companies charge seperately for the data).

Currently the solution offered by this thread, is based on JAVA application/browser and SE J2ME.

What SE should think of is simplifying this whole process. Let the phone use PC Internet without all these complications.

In that way u won't need special Java browsers.
Gyokuro
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-13 01:02
Hi,

I fail to understand how to do this, I have a k750i and I tried it. And when I started opera I connected to the internet and I was happy about it. But yesterday I recieved my phonebill and it seems I was surfing using gprs and not bluetooth.
Thank you who ever takes the time to explain it to this noob.
mobikid
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-03-14 14:27
how to make it work wit opera mini??
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-03-14 15:13
Gyokuro, you used the wrong profile...
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
kalmi10
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-14 22:02
Thanks, it works on my k700i via Bluetooth with Opera Mini java app.
There is only one problem, I have to start my browser by the DeviceExplorer. If anybody have any idea how to resolve it, please tell me...
mobikid
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-03-15 07:28
here it shows "error in proxy communication" in device explorer.....but phone connects in connection proxy...and i can upload any java app....but still i cant c my phones apps on the right side of device xplorer...
Mark_Q
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-03-15 08:04
kalmi10,
What yo consider is not a problem, rather the way it works, you like it or not. You have to start and stop the emulation from your PC, otherwise normal mobile surfing.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-15 12:53
yes, there is no way to establish a tcp/ip link over a serial connection without the connection proxy. It would be feasible to design a connection proxy to run as a service within windows, but Sony Ericsson haven't done it that way. And the phone data account isn't able to specify a serial connection as the carrier for the tcp/ip traffic.

Neither can you use the PAN profile for a direct tcp/ip connection, since the phone doesn't have the PAN profile (Personal Area Network).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 89 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic