Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > T630 recharge icon

Author T630 recharge icon
N3xu5
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-04-02 04:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I know there have been alot of battery questions on this board but I searced and couldn't find any answers to my question.

Just got my T630 and when charging it in off mode I get the flashing battery and the text "charging"

The battery will eventually stop flashing and show a full battery and the red LED will turn off.

The problem is that the text "charging" will remain on the display no matter how long the phone is hooked up to the charger.

Wouldn't the most obvious thing be that the text "charging" would go away at the same time as the battary would stop flashing and the red LED turn off?

I wrote to SE and they said to get the phone updated at at service center but my phone already has the newest firmware.

Is the "charging" text just supposed to remain on the display?

Thanks
rdnymllnsktr
W760 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-02 04:07
There are two different charging modes. One controlled by an algorythm when the handset is on and the other limited only by the strength of the charging unit when the handset is off.

The algorythm method is termed "optomized charging" by Sony Ericsson and is designed to protect the battery in the handset by not allowing an "overcharge". It provides protection by reducing the voltage differential between the battery and the charger as the battery approaches its peak design voltage.

With the handset is turned off, the charger simply continues to try to elevate the voltage in the battery until it's in parity with the charger. That process, continued too long, will overheat and damage the battery.

Sony Ericsson technical support advises not to let the handset charge overnight when the handset is turned off . The resultant overcharge condition shortens battery life considerably. If you do elect to charge the handset's battery while the phone is turned off, limit charging time to 3 hours.

And yes, the battery indicator, showing a full charge when the handset is turned on, will once again show that the battery is charging when the phone is turned off because it is charging, it's overcharging.

EThan

If you know about cell phones, post here.

[ This Message was edited by: rdnymllnsktr on 2004-05-29 19:22 ]
N3xu5
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-04-02 04:12
That's the best answer yet...thanks

So what the SE support dude told me about getting the phone updated because the "charge" is supposed to go away when charging in off mode is utter crap?

That's not good then.. The first time I got the phone when I got home it was late and I just plugged the charger into the phone without turning it on and then it charged for about 10 hours straight. I wonder if the battery has been damaged. The battery will last for about 3 days with some bluetoothing, SMS and just playing with the phone in general.

I'll be sure to charge to phone while it's on from now on!

[ This Message was edited by: N3xu5 on 2004-04-02 03:16 ]
rdnymllnsktr
W760 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-02 04:14
Basically.
MyPhoneExplorer is the new FMA!

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-02 12:30
I never turn off my phone and i always charge over nite,every nite.That can't be bad
Anyway, as long as the phone is on, i don't have to worry about anything as the rdny says, the algorythm watches.And if it wasn't for the controled charge, let's face it, u don'tr wanna keep this phone for a life-time , right?
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
N3xu5
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-04-02 20:31
Probably not
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi