Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The perfect grammar thread

Previous  123  Next
Author The perfect grammar thread
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 00:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
No, I was kidding.
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 00:59
@switchbitch

Well done my loyal lieutenent (pronounced correctly as leftenent), you have taken up the mantle of instilling a respect and, dare l say it, love for the Queen's English.

@everyone

I would like to expand this crusade to include the concept of dressing correctly. Too many people today believe a 'track suit' is acceptable attire when rambling, quite frankly it isn't.
Whatever happened to dressing for dinner or plus fours for croquet? Make a stand at my side friends.

Support E.L.F.
Bring Back Vermania!
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Jowi
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:00
How about French?it has a capital P

This message was posted from a T68i

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:01
I do respect ppl coming here with bad grammar and dare to ask for help. We are not in school. Just to remember, i see this question from MY point of view.

This message was posted from a R520

prodjsxb
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:03
As spoken by Ali G

"So wot yous is sayin is, dat people should learn to bang da lingo betta if dey is goin to bang english at all, right? Obviously people who is not from english natterin countries will ave aggro natterin da lingo, can dey be excused? Is dey allowed to make some mistakes at least? Ell i know if I type too fast i can mis-spell alot of lingo too!"

Hope you liked that!

LaTeRz
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:03
The Oxford English Dictionary is the authoritative on this subject. Its purpose is to provide a definition of every word in the English language, and since new words are constantly evolving, it has to be updated to accommodate this. So generally speaking, if it's not there, it's not official, but that doesn't mean it wont be.... In any case, "arse" is there! [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:05
Ali G, how terribley witty!
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
daveg
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:08
"terribley"?
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 01:09
Ears.
Morba
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 13:55
sigh, if you want perfect grammar then go mark some BSc Hons English Papers or something. this is a forum, where lots of ppl shorthand stuff.
if you have a problem with that then maybe you need to change, not every1 else.
Many many things make a difference to the way ppl post, from their origin, to their own knowledge of the language, to how much alcohol they have consumed.

especially on this forum where ppl maybe accessin from WAP or GPRS and gettin charged for the priviledge!

infact, how about you americans go get your own language instead of bastardizing (haha at inclusion of Z instead of S) ours.

:>

[ This Message was edited by: Morba on 2004-03-30 12:56 ]
Fritz24
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 13:59
What an excellent thread! My personal favourite example of bad grammar was on a sign in a cafe window near to my house. The sign read 'Only food brought on the premises may be consumed here.'
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 14:12
Will these images do ?

mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 14:16
well i don't think you can say that a forum has bad grammar:
you can have
A: an international forum such as esato, most people are from other countries.......
B: it's a mobile forum and i bet that 50% of people are writing from their mobile phones and grammar errors are at the very least 90% more possible than errors while handwriting.....
C: if a person makes a mistake he is not going to correct it because it's forum for crying out loud, it's not an essay or a letter, people are here from fun, they are not going to wet their panties because they made a mistake....
D:and of course some people use "internet language" (like boba )
E: if a person is a fast typer, he or she often makes a mistake, like for instance: ad-and, grammatucal- grammatical, encyclopwdiia- encyclopedia
a little to much mistakes maybe, but you see the point.....

anyway forums are not grammatical and they are not going to be...

though i see your point in terms of "offical" or "public" grammar errors.....
imanuk
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-30 14:30
Very well put mmsman.

Also I add; does english have to be set in stone? Surely it is sensible that it should be alowed to evolve. Especially if evolution is done in way that increases productivity and makes the language more intuitive.

Much like, the evolution of mobile phones that we discuss here.

Obviously much like the computing industry we must also respect legecy, make all posts understandable regardless of spelling and puctuation.
Froddan
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-30 14:40
Now this is a very interesting topic. I've just recently moved to the UK from Sweden (I was born in Finland), and at times I find it hard to understand the English spoken here. I'm not all that good at it myself, but I try to stick to the "proper" English, both in writing and speaking, it just makes things easier for both parties of a conversation if you can understand each other fully without having to guess half of what the other part is saying.
As English isn't my native language, I also struggle with the differences of UK English vs. US English, since the US English is what I have learnt by listening to music and watching movies.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi