Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Anyone unlocked A orange phone (P8/900) and managed to not void the warrenty?

Author Anyone unlocked A orange phone (P8/900) and managed to not void the warrenty?
lucky777
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-18 16:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,
Im having abit of a dilema. I of to cyprus for the summer and cant make my mind up to wether or not I should unlock my P900 from Orange. If I do it voids the warrenty and there insurance which in the past I've relied on as I think they have on of the best insurance avalible. If I dont im stuck whith a locked phone and will have to buy a crappy nokia and local sim. Im quite happy to get my P900 unlocked but would be gutted if I could not claim another phone if something goes tits up! The other possibility is to unlock it whith orange but thats gonna cost over a ton because you need to pay up all your monthly charges for the year too. Soooo my fellow esatolites, has anyone unlocked and claimed and got away whith it? Orange tell me they check all their returned phones for this and will ahve you if it is unlocked! What do reckon?

Thanx in advance
yadangwhite
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-18 17:02
Where does the idea that unlovking a phone voids the warranty come from. The insurance is not with Orange, they merely brand it as theres and ensure you get a nother Orange handset, if you have to claim on care all that will happen is that you will be sent another locked P900.

The warranty is with the manufacturer if you send them an unlocked Orange P900 how will they know wether you unlocked it yourself or Orange did. Your account is protected by the data protection act of 1984, this means that no information about your account whatsoever can be released to a third party without your prior consent. Therefore if Sony Ericsson caled Orange they would get no response as to who unlocked the phone.

Just get it unlocked and when you need to claim on insurance or get it repaired be prepared to have it unlocked again.
lucky777
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-18 17:24
Thats just what I thought and it was there argument if I got it unlocked whith them (the'd just resend another locked phone), The way I was thinking, they send you the phone next day so they would no anyway and you'ld still have a new phone. It was only when they said they check all phone that I thought I might be had. So you reckon go for it then?
yadangwhite
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-19 00:14
As far as I can understand they never check the phones once they are sent back. They must recieve over 1000 back everyday, they most likely just reformat them or send them to a third party to repair. End of the day they are not going to check the lock status and won't take the effort to check the lock status against your account.

Beside the Orange terms and conditions (point 12 I think) state that the handset is nothing to do with Orange after that have sold it to you, you can do what you like and they have no comeback nor responsibility.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi