Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Opera and Agile problems on Vodafone

12  Next
Author Opera and Agile problems on Vodafone
sensei
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 14:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi yes I have read all the other threads concerning these issues and tried them out to no avail. I cannot get any connections with Opera and Agile messenger 2.0 on the P900. I get the not ready or failed to connect check internet settings message. I am using the Vodafone service. I have deleted all the settings and configured it manually and deleted these and got the configurations sent over from the SE website, but nothing has worked. The internal browser works fine and yes GPRS is activated on my account too. I was down at the Vodafone shop as well and they failed to get it working as well, they suggested I contact SE directly. Opera and Agile messenger is installed on my memory stick if that makes any difference. Can anyone do a step by step walkthrough to get it working?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 14:49
these are both working fine for me so please start by confirming you have setup up the data account with address "internet" and not "wap.vodafone.co.uk" (both without quotes). I can sort of reproduce the problem you describe if I try and connect via wap GPRS instead of internet GPRS (because these are different data accounts)

let us know and we can take it from there
sensei
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 15:28
Yes tried connecting using the Vodafone GPRS Web Gprs settings and all the other ones, but still doesnt work. Created a new setting called internet with, the user names and password left blank, and internet in the address but this doesnt work either.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 15:31
have you ever used that "internet" data account before? if not might be worth checking with vodafone to make sure that particular account is activated (althought I know you already said that GPRS is activated but usually that only means WAP GPRS).

worth a check anyway as that is the only other thing I can think of.

As mentioned it works fine for me and I am on vodafone pay monthly
sensei
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 15:40
Thanks for your help. I guess i might to phone up Vodafone services directly. the guy at the shop said all my options were activated on my account and yes I'm on a pay monthly contract too.
sensei
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-01 14:39
It turns out that Vodafone had not created me an internet epm account! Spent half an hour being fobbed off, saying they don't support Opera but my persistance paid off. Went through all the settings again, creating a new account. Was then told every thing should be fine cos I had GPRS and the internal browser was working. It should be SE problems. Then finally after more testing and trying they realised the epm setting was missing! Anyone else on Vodafone with Opera connection problems dial 196 from your handset and ask them to check you have an Internet epm setting created!

[ This Message was edited by: sensei on 2004-03-01 13:43 ]
nedvedcz
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-01 16:33
i have the same problem with you, after i updated phone my softwares stop connecting to Net. I must phone up provider network

[ This Message was edited by: nedvedcz on 2004-03-01 15:50 ]
mwlatty
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-01 16:40
Yes, you get this problem (APN missing) everytime you change your price plan too. They usually forget to set-up the additional features you have (or even automatically) and I usually lose GPRS and picture message capabilities.

CC at Vodafone is parthetic
phreaker6600
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 19:44
I have got Opera to work on Vodafone using the GPRS settings but I had to setup a proxy server in Opera

Connection name Vodafone GPRS
Data bearer GPRS
Access point name wap.vodafone.co.uk
User name wap
Password wap
Authentication Normal
Homepage http://wap:1999/vodafone.wml
Proxy serv. address 212.183.137.012
Proxy port number 8799

Still not ablie to get agile messenger to work coz it has no option for proxy server.

Is the charge for non Vodafone addresses really 7p/Kb!!!!!!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 19:54
sounds overly complicated to me. I just use the "internet" APN/account name and opera and agile messenger both work perfectly with no other settings/proxies etc

not sure that 7p/kb is correct, more like 0.7p/kb (£7/Mb) is the fee for low tariffs. I'm paying £2.35/mb on the anytime 200 tariff

go to http://www.vodafone.co.uk and where it says "how do I?" choose "see our price plans" and see for yourself. in fact the lower plans are .75p/kb (£7.50/Mb)
phreaker6600
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 20:34
Can somebody post the reccomended settings for GPRS data allowing internet access for checking 3rd party mail server and 3rd party hosts for web access and third party messengers. The settings that vodafone sent me are for a Analogue dial-up!!! Which as you know is charged per second.

phreaker6600
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 20:57
Just been of the phone to Vodafone. They have said they do not support Opera. Benn to opera webste and they helpfullt have the settings required
http://www.opera.com/products/smartphone/docs/connect/

but they only have the AP name not any of the other settings
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 20:59
I've posted this many times but I'll do it again...

go to control panel, connections, internet accounts, new. Give it an account name of Vodafone internet or something and ensure connection type is GPRS. Click on advanced and type internet into the address field. you can also click on the "username and password required" checkbox and then enter web into both username and password fields but I don't use those and it works fine for me and always has done ever since I first started using Vodafone GPRS when they introduced it.

click done and then done again and you have created your internet/email data GPRS account

for email, all the settings will be as per your pc except for the outgoing server address which should be set to smtp.vizzavi.co.uk

if opera or email doesn't work its possible you may need to call Vodafone to enable the GPRS internet on your account. Unfortunately what they call internet is really just WAP and that is not the same thing but I never did figure out what they call real internet, possibly mobile internet or something
phreaker6600
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 21:23
Thankyou masseur,

just using "internet" worked a treat!!! Just coulden't believe that the setting is so simple. Mail sending and recieving also work as does Agile Messenger
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-15 21:25
great! thanks for posting confirmation of your success!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi