Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia 9500 the new Communicator will be revealed tomorrow

Author Nokia 9500 the new Communicator will be revealed tomorrow
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 19:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
if some say that the Px00's are bricks, then this must be a cement block...

[ This Message was edited by: senninha on 2004-02-23 18:36 ]
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 20:50
The size of the 9500 is dictated by that of its screen. It's as simple as that. And it has a full keyboard.

This message was posted from a Nokia

davo87
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 21:41
Maybe if the dollar stays so low we are all in for cheap phones like this, i mean $1k USD may sem a lot but thats nearly 500 UKP, so not sooo bad, but still way to expensive
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 21:45
well i have to say that this is an excellent phone and has incredible features....
BUT i have to say that i expected a little more because i don't really thing it will be so special in q4 but hey we don't know what phones are going to be out then........
if you ask me they could add this things to 9500 (most of the things are already availbele at motorolas and sharps and samsungs so don't tell me they wiil drain battery ffs it's a 220g phone it's heavier than an ipaq)
1.3mp camera
262k colours
UMTS
touchscreen
sd slot
xscale 400 mhz
128mb ram
an outside 128*160 screen (because of the design)
bluetooth 1.2 100m
advanced graphics chip (something like the new ati one (for fast video and camera capabilites)
two cameras for videoconferences

so it's really far from perfect and considering that p800 is more than one year old and it's going to be 2yrs old when 9500 comes out.....

even eldar murtzain stated that p1000 and 9500 will be out at the same time, though i'm losing faith in this guy i believe this could be correct because it will be 1yr from the p900 release at that time...

don't get me wrong i still think that it's amazing but i just got a litlle annoyed when you die hard nokia fans were defending it like it was your child, i mean it's ironic most of the guys here are defending se like it's heaven and then you guys want to have a payback with them and you start to sound exactly the same- stupid!

btw: those specs wouldn't hurt p900 also i just wan't to say that no phone is perfect and if someone says it isn't good in his opinion why do you jump up and be " mister know it all "
after all forums are a place where people tell THEIR opinions....
Flying Finn
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 00:55
Communicator users know how good the QWERTY keyboard is and I think they want to keep it that way. It's easier, more laptop-like. And it can't be made much smaller than it is now (look at 6820, it's a little cramped). Besides, a touch screen with a QWERTY keyboard wouldn't make sense.

What I'm saying is, if you have ever used a 9XXX phone, you know it's a very working design. An intuitive, normal Nokia phone interface on the top and a very capable PDA underneath it. During a call just open the phone and the loudspeaker switches on and you can work with the PDA. Doing something with a PDA and suddenly have to stop? Just close it, the apps remain running, the PDA screen is protected by the cover and you can literally put a computer in your pocket.

Right now, this would be my PDA of choice. It's got the features and ease of use of a laptop in a phone sized device. Fast typing, no worrying about keeping the touch screen clean, no taking care of the stylus. Just functionality.

btw. Cisco, Symantec, Computer Associates, Oracle, HP and SAP are Nokia's official partners with the 9500 and are already developing apps for it. Expect the SDK to become available before the release too (so there will be apps and content to download from day 1).

[ This Message was edited by: Flying Finn on 2004-02-24 00:05 ]
Flying Finn
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 02:42
I made a very basic feature comparison (P900 vs 9500), even left the business applications out:

P900

-115 x 57 x 24mm, 150g
-12MB internal memory, MS Duo slot (hotswap)
-65 536 colour TFT screen, 208 x 320 (208 x 208 with flip closed) pixels
-input device: touch screen and stylus
-connectivity: CSD, HSCSD (28,8 kbps + 14,4 kbps), GPRS (85,6 kbps + 21,4 kbps with CS-4 coding scheme)
-ringtones: MP3, AMR, MIDI (poly 16), WAV, RMF, AU, iMelody
-data transfer: IrDA, Bluetooth
-email: POP3, IMAP4, SMTP
-internet browsing: HTML 3.2 (excluding features such as frames and Javascript that are not revelant to a small screen device), WML 1.3, WBXML, xHTML Basic, xHTML Mobile Profile, cHTML
-extras: camera (VGA + video recording), games, MP3 player, themes

-148 x 56 x 23.6mm, 220g
-80MB internal memory, MMC slot (hotswap)
-Two 65 536 colour TFT screens, 640 x 200 (PDA) and 128 x 128 (phone) pixels
-input device: grid keypad and qwerty keyboard
-connectivity: CSD, HSCSD, GPRS (53, 6 kbps), EDGE (236,8 kbps), WLAN (11 Mbit/s)
-ringtones: MP3, AMR, MIDI (poly 24), WAV, AAC
-data transfer: IrDA, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, Pop-port interface
-email: POP3, IMAP4. SMTP, SyncML, always-online, SSL/TLS, SMTP authentication
-internet browsing (Opera 6.x): HTML, XHTML, JavaScript™, file upload, WML 1.3 support, audio-video plug-in, DRM plug-in, OMA download plug-in, Flash Player plug-in, multiple windows (10)
-extras: camera (VGA + video recording), games, MP3 player, RealOne Player, XpressOn covers

[ This Message was edited by: Flying Finn on 2004-02-24 01:47 ]
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 04:54
Here's another alternative:

Motorola MPx!!!

It has two hinges... opens ala clamshell and also ala communicator with qwerty thumbpad. I suppose it is smaller than the communicator. It will have a touch screen and also a camera as well as several connectivity options.
Of course its Pocket PC... some may like 'em but I know some will be turned off by this.

http://www.ppcw.net/images/li[....]/3gsm/DSCN2270.jpg&w=640&h=480

The Motorola MPx offers:

Microsoft Windows Mobile software: Making the Motorola MPx truly an extension of your desktop, this cutting-edge device supports a multitude of business applications including Microsoft Outlook e-mail and PIM, Microsoft Word, Excel and more.

No strings attached: The Motorola MPx tri-band GSM/GPRS device supports integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology for both data centric and voice centric communications with compatible devices, for the ultimate in hands-free connectivity.

Design: Boasting a truly unique and innovative form factor, the Motorola MPx is the must-have solution to help driven professionals manage their mobile lives in realtime while adding new convenience to the converged device, resulting in a user-friendly and stylish mobile.
Advanced camera capabilities: With an impressive 1.3 mega-pixel camera and flash embedded on the Motorola MPx, messages can be delivered with more than just words.

Expansive memory: To leverage the device's ability to download Microsoft Pocket PC and Java applications, games, photos and more, the model MPx comes with a SD/MMC slot supporting up to 1 GB of memory.

Synchronization: Built in "ActiveSync" and "Air-sync" makes the model MPx capable of synching with Microsoft Outlook for easy organization. Additionally, the device supports Infrared IRDA 115 kbps for data exchange and Consumer IR (CIR) for control of audio/video and home automation equipment on the fly.

Ease of use: The Motorola MPx supports a variety of input methods making it quick and effortless to transfer data, including a numeric keyboard, a thumb QWERTY board and stylus and touch sensitive screen to support smooth operations.
Pricing and Availability

The Motorola MPx is expected to be available in the second half of 2004. For more information regarding pricing and product availability in your region, please check with your local Motorola representative.
(source: http://www.motorola.com and www.ppcw.net)

What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: jomni1 on 2004-02-24 04:46 ]
awyeah
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-24 06:38
They say its gone be put into production
soon and it will be out in the market
around in the fourth quarter of this year.

Meaning the last 3 months of this year roughly
it will be in the market by the end of the year
throughout the world.

So everyone and people you have to wait
atleast 8-10 months to grab the new 9500
communicator!

·awyeah·

mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 15:26
well actually i'm very glad that motorola presented MPx because that's my point nokia could have done it better almost all things on my list are in that motorola but noooooo you guys still believe that this communicator can't be better,
my point: they could have done it better but it's awesome anyway...
@flying finn: touchscreen and keyboard doesn't make sense?!?
ow cmon almost every device that has a qwerty keyboard has either a touchscreen (clie pda's, ipaq's, tablet pcs...) or a mouse (pc's and laptops) the only device that i can remember right now that doesn't have an easy navigating system with a pointer is nokia 9500
yes you can work with it perfectly ok and it's nice to work with it (i mean on the previous comm) BUT touchscreen really comes in handy with internet viewing, painting (drawing) and with more complex apps like cecad on pocket pc etc.
so the only thing that doesn't make sense is you blind defending, why can't you see it isn't perfect we al se that p900 isn't perfect.....
Flying Finn
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 23:54
I kinda meant Series 80 and the communicators when I said it wouldn't make sense. It's not a touch screen UI and that doesn't slow it down one bit. It's got a navigational pad though that can act as a mouse cursor.

From infosync

"the navigational pad doubles as a mouse cursor that can be called upon when browsing web sites in the Opera browser."

[ This Message was edited by: Flying Finn on 2004-02-24 23:10 ]
mmsman
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-02-25 00:49
yeah i saw that preview too.... well if it's a multi directional pad than ok i tought that it was just a joystick, well anyway 9500 is a great phone, though MPx isn't bad eh
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-25 06:25
well, it looks like while I while asleep the following thread was started and grew quite quickly so lets continue there

New NOKIA 9500 that will whoop P900!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic