Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > New MPX220

123  Next
Author New MPX220
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-17 13:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

The second Smartphone by company Motorola working with MS Smartphone 2002. Apparent ODM- manufacturer Chi Mei Communications. Differs from the the initial mpx200 in terms of the presence of built-in camera (VGA), bluetooth, and also fact that it has Windows Mobile 2003.

[..]

General

Announced October 2003, expected in April 2004
GSM 900/1800/1900
65000 color display (TFT), dimensions 165x220 permits up to 8 lines of text as well as the menu for the soft- keys and taskbar
Storage battery Li-ion (700 mAh)
Standby mode up to 116 hours, up to 270 minutes talk time
Digital camera, VGA resolution (640x480 points)
Context sensitive menus
Color - Black Sea
Weight of 113 grams
Sizes of 89 x 48 x 27mm
Volume 96 cu. cm.
Memory

Multiple numbers on one contact, there is no photo contact ability, but a ringtone can be assigned.
Supports Caller Groups
32 Mb. ROM, 32 Mb. RAM
Expansion slot for for SD/MMC, sizes up to 1 Gb

Ringtones

Vibration
40-tone polyphonic ringtones
Assignment of ringtones to each contact
Quick dial for up to 8 numbers
Auto-answer
Built-in speakerphone

SMS

EMS
MMS
SMS Chat
Send and receive ringtones and images
Send SMS messages to several addressees simultaneously
Predictive text entry T9
Message templates

Communication options

WAP 2.0, WAP Push
GPRS(4+1)
IR port
Email client (SMTP/POP3)
Synchronization with PK
SyncML
Bluetooth

Organizer and other functions

Built-in camera - VGA-resolution
User profiles
Headpiece with answer/hangup ability, sound and recording
Receive Reminders
Ringtone editor
Themes, changeable by downloading - includes not only wall-papers, but also sounds, and graphics
Speech recording (limited only by the quantity of free memory).
Date and time
Alarm clock can be set to occur on certain days
Photo Album (My Pictures) - permits adding additional pictures, obtaining pictures with PL or from the camera
Timer, stopwatch with split time, and calculator.
Games
Additional - Pocket IE (HTML, WML, WAP2.0), SMS/MMS, Email Inbox, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, MP3, WAV & WMA Playback support, Messenger, Active Sync, Call History, Settings, Shortcuts, Windows media, Text Input, MPEG4 Encode/Decode
Very interesting, that's for sure.

[ This Message was edited by: axxxr on 2004-06-07 14:15 ]
deuxani
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 15:15
That's not the MPx220, this is:

Source: http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_-_Pictures_of_the_MPx220?site=SmartPhone
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-17 15:46
That must be the final Release version!!....Above pic must be a mock-up of a 200 version!! [addsig]
TheGlassJAw
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 15:50
look at the SIZE of that d-pad!! it looks like an ipod with the scroll wheel thing.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-14 15:04
More released pics:

[ This Message was edited by: axxxr on 2004-12-01 23:34 ]
MEEUW
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-14 15:51
not a great phone I think.
butterguy
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-04-15 03:06
I don't know why Motorola didn't include the Megapixel cam in this one, doesn't make sense...if it did have it i would pick it over the mpx100.
can't wait till we have chips implanted in our brains and the size issue goes back to being something else.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-04-15 03:16

[ This Message was edited by: axxxr on 2004-06-07 14:17 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-07 15:27
The MPx220 - an even closer look!

It looks like this Autumn is going to be the release date for the mpx220 which can now be seen in this review here.
UPDATE - The animation is a rather large Macromedia Flash movie, which should run fine on any browser, however if you're having problems you can download it here. The MPx220 video is available below in either of the following sizes. The dimensions and quality of the video shrink with the size, so pick the best for your connection. Right click and choose "Save Target As" if you want to download the whole thing and watch it later.

MPx220 - Video on line

http://www.bornsloppy.co.uk/MPx220-big.wmv (Broadband)

(Dial up/Isdn)
http://www.bornsloppy.co.uk/MPx220.wmv]

http://www.bornsloppy.co.uk/MPx220-tiny.wmv (dial up)

The handset is running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition and it looks like the dogs danglies - ME WANT ONE! It has VOICE RECOGNITION in this build (although it did get a command wrong in this movie!), plus there's a mini-SD card slot (what am I gonna do with all my saved stuff on my normal SD card?!?! Oh, and don't forget that stylish MPx220 logo on the bottom and the fantasticly swish design. Oooof! Did I mention the colour external display ? Eh eh ? I think I might be able to forgive them for the MiniSD slot now.. Oooooooooooo gimme gimme! I like this, I ruddy like this a LOT!

UPDATE 2 - There's some debate whether the word "QUAD" on the top of the handset (see this here) means "Quad Band". Well, it appears that it doesn't mean "Quad Band", but instead refers to the ultra-cool ElectroAcoustic Quad speaker technology found in the handset. In fact you can see the actual logo here, which is taken from the http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/esl.htm
[addsig]
Ja99iE
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-07 16:09
I like it. I've been torn between this, the K700 and the Sendo X for a while but I've given up on the Sendo X now, it'll be huge compared to other similar spec phones by the time it finally turns up.

I've got an SPV which is abit slow but this looks alot faster and better from the video, although I'll probably just end up going for the K700.
TeesBox Funny T-Shirts
Funny T-Shirts UK
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-09 15:32
First mini Review: Motorola MPx220

The first real review (test).
Motorola MPx200 will be replaced by Motorola MPx220 - these are plans of Motorola
Motorola MPx200 had only possibility to use external SD camera thus blocking SD memory card slot and making it impossible to write photos to SD card, but Motorola MPx220 has internal camera, what solves this problem
Motorola MPx220 has 1 megapixel camera, with many adjusting possibilities - a lot of camera parameters can be changed, like white balance, contrast, brightness, etc etc. - each of these parameters can be set to one of 8 values
this review doesn't contain sample pictures taken with built-in camera of Motorola MPx220 - for this purpose author of the review is preparing separate article
quality of built-in camera is a little bit lower than in Sharp GX30 and approximately the same as in Nokia 7610
as far as dimensions are concerned MPx220 is a bit longer than MPx200: 90x48x20 mm with weight of 110 g (MPx220) against 89x48x27 m, 118 g (MPx200)
keypad of Motorola MPx220 has backlight and is easily visible and usable in darkness
external display of MPx220, of resolution 98õ64 pixels, can now represent colors (in MPx200 it was black and white only) - however this display is of low quality - it is STN (not TFT) and can represent only 4096 colors; shortly speaking: external display is not sharp. This external display is properly visible only indoors - outdoors, when a lot of sun is shining it is almost unusable
Motorola MPx220 features 40 tone polyphonic ringtones
on the right side of the phone there is located infrared port, camera activation button and mini-SD card slot
from the front there is a text "QUAD" visible that means that apart from standard 3 GSM bands, this phone supports also GSM850 band - that is nowadays becoming increasingly popular in USA
Motorola MPx220 has Li-Ion battery of capacity 100 mAh. According to Motorola battery life is: 110 hours in stand-by mode and 4.5 hours of talk time. Durings tests that were done in Moscow, Russia, the battery life of MPx220 laste 1.5 to 2.5 days (1 day = 24 hours) - depending on the number of phone calls. Sujectivly, according to the author of the review, MPx220 works a little bit longer than MPx200 - approximately 10-15 % longer at the same amount of phone calls.
internal display of MPx220 can represent 65000 and is of a slightly better quality than display of MPx200 - generally speaking the quality of the display is not impressive and close to quality of displays in other contemporary cell phones
flash memory size: 64 MB - usually 35 MB remains for free use. RAM size is 32 MB.
Motorola was planning to introduce their own Bluetooth manager, but in the version of Motorola MPx220 that author had for testing it was not yet available. To switch Bluetooth "on" author needed to use standard feature of Microsoft Smartphone operating system (dialog "Start/Settings/Bluetooth")
Motorola MPx220 features "Photo Contacts" application that is built-in and that allows to assign a photo to a contact and then when a phone call is incoming the photo will be displayed also on the external display
built-in Java in MPx220 works fast and good
sales of MPx220 will start in September 2004 with price of 450 US dollars
both MPx200 and MPx220 are made by Chi Mei Communications company in Taiwan
next model, after MPx220 will be: Motorola MPx260 - with bigger external display with higher quality, features "haptics" color effects, support for EDGE radio interface and several other improvements
comparing Motorola MPx220 to Motorola MPx100 one can say that it is the one and the same phone but just in different cases (candy bar in MPx100 and clam shell design in MPx220)

[addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-10 16:02
Official press release about Motorola MPx220 from Motorola

THE MOTOROLA MPx220- ALL KINDS OF CLEVER

By harnessing the power of a desktop and the portability of a mobile phone, the Motorola MPx220 is the perfect solution for bringing your office on the road. The sophisticated model MPx220 gives users quick access to e-mail, the Web, advanced multi-media messaging service (MMS), global quad band performance and an integrated camera. Productivity is sure to increase so the busy professional will never miss a beat when away from the office. And, with photo caller-ID*, the ability to download games, musical ringtones and more, the model MPx220 promises that business executives can have some fun too.

Portable Power

You’ll always be accessible with the power of your desktop in the palm of your hand. Whether you’re on the road or in a train, you can keep track of tasks, check e-mail and manage your business and social calendars so you never miss a meeting or birthday again. The model MPx220 offers familiar software based on the Microsoft Windows Mobile™ software that single-handedly offers the Outlook experience without the desktop clutter. And, with a large 64MB flash ROM and removable mini-SD card memory expansion slot, it’s like bringing an extra suitcase for storage with you on your travels.

Looking Good

Multi-taskers are time pressed and often rely on sending an e-mail instead of a more personalized note. The Motorola MPx220 changes all of this with its digital VGA integrated camera and MMS capabilities – giving users a new way to send messages that contain more than just words. Whether you are facilitating a business deal overseas or just wishing your child “happy birthday” while at a company function, take a photo of yourself, attach a personalized note and send. And with the model MPx220’s brilliant color external display and photo caller-ID* you can even see who’s calling without even opening the phone. Putting a face to a name has never been so easy.

Lose the Wires

Don’t let your ambition, or your wireless phone, drag you down. With the model MPx220, you don’t have to get tangled up in wires to make a point. The Motorola MPx220 is integrated with Bluetooth® technology for the ultimate in wireless connectivity. Make an impact on colleagues when you respond to e-mails with attached voice responses recorded wirelessly through your Bluetooth® headset. The model MPx220’s quad-band capability enables you to be connected around the world, where roaming agreements are in place, ensuring that wireless communications is always at your beck and call.

SUMMARY OF FEATURES:
Microsoft Windows Mobile™ software designed to match and transpose the Outlook desktop experience
Global quad band Performance
Integrated 1.2 mega pixel camera, 3x zoom and flash make it possible to capture your business and personal encounters with ease
Bluetooth® connectivity and speaker phone to allow hands free conversations
64MB Flash ROM and mini SD card with up to 1 GB removable memory for extra storage
MMS messaging features for sending pictures, animations, wallpaper, icons and more
Downloading capabilities for adding on new games, musical ringtones, business applications and more at any whim
The Motorola MPx220 is expected to be available in Q3 2004. For more information regarding pricing and product availability in your region, please check with your local Motorola representative.
[addsig]
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-11 07:35
don't even bother comparing the k700 to this phone, lol. because the k700 is no match for it.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-21 21:02
Motorola MPx220 coming to the UK next month

With the latest morsel for all us to chew on that it’s been “confirmed” that the MPx220 is coming out in the UK next month.

[addsig]
LeeG
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-06-22 11:29
Any idea what the price might be ?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi