Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Tips and tricks > T65: Aspect ratio (background images)

Author T65: Aspect ratio (background images)
Ivo
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-08 21:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Do you observe that pixels on the T65 display are not square? Sorry, I am new here, maybe that topic was already discussed.

I tried to create gif image in Photoshop, then I used MyPicturesR2E.exe to complete the editing and to upload the image as a background to my T65. Alternatively I used Esato Free Logos upload/download service.

It all works but the image changes its appearance once uploaded to the phone. My ad-hoc measurements shows that pixel aspect ratio (its width divided by its height) equals to something about 0.8.

I.e., originally created black square 39 x 39 (max. height) pixels, it appears uploaded to the phone as a rectangular w=13 mm, h=10+ mm. To get a rectangular 13 mm x 13 mm on the phone, the original image had to be 49 x 39 pixels. This specially affects e.g. faces if used for the background.

Unfortunately, MyPicturesR2E.exe does not show this effect on the simulated display. Also, the Esato Free Logos upload/download service does resizing, it even suggests different versions of smoothness, contrast and alike, but it doesn't account for this aspect ratio asymmetry.

Procedure:

Suppose we want to create a background image (face) from some tiff/gif/jpeg hi-res picture. Let's say that face cropped out is about 450 x 600 pixels. While still in true colors, resize the picture as following: new height to be the wanted 39 pixels (max height) - i.e., decrease it by the factor of 600/39=15.38. Do not decrease width by the same factor, rather compensate for the asymmetric aspect ratio: 15.38*0.8=12.3. This means that the resized width must be 450/12.3=36 pixels - the face will look at the moment "fat", but it will appear properly once uploaded to the phone.

Now, after the resizing, switch to grayscale, do auto contrast balance and save it as a gif. Open it in the MyPicturesR2E.exe, do the final pixel-level editing (if necessary) and upload it to the phone. Observe that image uploaded to the phone is always 73 x 39 (2 bits per pixel) - transparent pixels are added to the margins if necessary.

That's it. This way you compensate for the unequal aspect ratio.
mhjerpe
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-05-12 08:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yepp T65 has a 1.24 ratio on X,Y
Work with the pics in
73x48 and
101x83 and just before paste them in MyPic resize them to
73x39 or 101x67
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi