Esato

Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > Remember the "RIP Esato" thread. (Situation now?)

12  Next
Author Remember the "RIP Esato" thread. (Situation now?)
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-13 11:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi y'all,

I just remembered the "RIP Esato" thread where laffen posted about Esato's financial problems.

I felt like reviving this subject in order to make newer members become aware of these problems and maybe donate something.
Check this link for details.

Also, i'm curious about the actual financial situation of esato.
So i hope laffen can clear this to all Esato members.

[ This Message was edited by: Krubach on 2004-02-13 10:49 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-13 11:58
While its a nice thought, surely this is a topic that laffen himself should raise if needed. The RIP thread you refer to is from december 2002 however just a few months ago laffen said this...

Quote:

On 2003-10-06 00:49:05, laffen wrote:
Quote:

orangeman wrote:
Does laffen still need donations for the new server?

No, I don't.

in this thread

So it would appear there are no problems and donations are not required... but I am sure if it becomes an issue again then laffen will let us know
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-13 12:01
Nice to hear(read) that.
I was just wondering how the situation was.
I know the thread is more than a year old, that's why i was wondering...

Thanks
[addsig]
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-15 16:52
In addition to what Masseur just said:
When, and before, the RIP-topic was started everything on this site was free. Now there is polytones and films members can buy.
The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-15 18:31
As a key contributor to the RIP thread and infact, the first to donate to the site as a result of the appeal, I too share your interest in the current financial state of the site.

-I would say, on a slightly negative note, I do recall several members including myself, feeling somewhat let down that the promised hbh-10 was never drawn and given to one of the donators as promised. No big deal, except that it always bugged me afterwards that the integrity of the site and its owner had been somewhat compromised as a result.
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-16 18:28
Maybe I can shed some light on what happened with the hbh-10.
As "Prize Master" I believe I am partly to blame...

When Laffen was doing his upmost to save Esato things got a bit hectic. There was indeed suposed to be a raffle on that HBH-10 but it was all forgotten about. After a while we felt it became such an out dated product that I decided to leave it alone.

I still have the HBH-10 in my drawer and am willing to do the raffle tonight if any of the donors still want it.

It is still complete in the original /// Limted Edition box but I noticed now that the DBA-10 has gone missing. I'll have a look in the office tomorrow for that.

For whatever it is worth it is at least a collectors item indeed.
I'll add some pics when I've got the kids off to bed tonight.

The proud owner of a black P800!

[ This Message was edited by: tranquil on 2004-02-16 17:53 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-16 18:42
...otherwise perhaps after all this time it would be a nice Playtime!!! prize?
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-16 19:04
I agree with masseur.
Don't know why, though [addsig]
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-16 22:13
OK
Here we go:

Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-16 22:58
Tranquil

Thank you for the explanation.

I can't speak for any other donors but my motive was purely to help the site. (Infact, I can honestly say that then as now, I have no idea what the HBH-10's prupose was...I even had to look at the original thread to remember what had been on offer.) Thus, as far as I am concerned there is no need to make good on the offer.

However, a word of warning...and I speak as a business owner and commercial spirit (as well as a mobile phone buff). Make good on all offers/promises from now on. The moment Esato appealled for and subsequently received donations (and started charging for certain services), it entered a different arena. One in which responibilities and standards of 'good conduct' are expected to be adhered to.

Whilst your explanation wouldn't hold in the 'business world' - this site remains more like a big family than a growing concern and we all, I would hope, both understand and will overlook. However, even a 'big family' needs to communicate to its members. Your explanation would have been best made at the time.

No hard feelings though - keep up the, otherwise, excellent and hard work, I know that you do.

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 06:47
I read almost all of the replies in this thread, it was almost closed then . . . Luckily for @laffen here that he manage to salvage the then 'drowning' - esato . . . After 2 years this thread was first posted, I am glad to see that it survived for another 2 years. Now, with almost 31K members in it's registry, I guess that more and more people are becoming aware of it's existence and for having a good content or substance. More power to @laffen and all of his moderators !
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 07:05
I think we all learnt a few things back then, we did what we felt had to be done and now the old ghosts come back to haunt us.

I agree the promises made should be kept, and I guess I should have handeled thing batter back then.

One thing I miss now is a bit of feedback from the donors.

Oh,yes...
I concider Esato a fanastic place to hang out and seek info. We are becoming a good bunch of mates after all this time. ...yes, promises are to be kept for friends as well.
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 13:36
Well, with regard feedback, I for one am delighted that I was able to contribute and that the site is still going.

I reckon there are many members like myself... people who don't post (unless they have a specific problem/query/comment) but who view the site on a regular basis. Perhaps we are even the silent majority?

Esato has helped me on a number of occassions and I suppose the best compliment I can pay it is that despite not having a naturally grasp of new technologies, I consider the realm of the mobile phone to be an arena in which I can move freely, in an informed and confident manner. Without Esato, I would be as daunted by the new developments that seem to spring up every day, as I am in the world of the computer.

Infact, there's my suggestion... could you very good chaps who run Esato make an equivalent site dealing with computers...or is that blasphemy! lol
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 13:38
It has been more than a year that I want to donate but I don't have paypal and live in Belgium so no paid sms thingy. I can do bank transfers but have contacted Laffen (with the "contact us") some months ago and no reply .
psikey
W960
PM
Posted: 2004-02-17 14:17
@tranquil

>>One thing I miss now is a bit of feedback from the donors.

I'm still here. Don't reply as much these days but still visit everyday ( Used to be in top 50 posters now only at 62).

Just following and benefitting from the CPW/Link thread on getting a P900 for virtually free (while it lasted) has more than paid for the donations all those years ago. Still worth every penny.

[ This Message was edited by: psikey on 2004-02-17 13:39 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi