Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Themes, ringtones, screensavers, games, video clips > MP3 to MIDI.. help needed fast

12  Next
Author MP3 to MIDI.. help needed fast
Merovingian
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi guys
need some help and thats fast is there any programs out thee who can convert MP3's into MIDI?? any help or link very appriciated

anti_christ666
crx
Z800
PM
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:28
I dont think it's possible because it's two diffrent type of file. I have asked the same question and i was told it dont work.

Sorry.
Ericsson 197, 338, 388, T28, 788, 688, Sonyericsson T68, T610, Z600, P900, Z1010
Alcatel (ericsson 192)
Samsung E700
Payalnik
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:30
I think the answer is NO WAY :-(

This message was posted from a WAP device

rimmer5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:33
No, two different types of file unfortunately.

Anyone know which is better sound quality WMA or AAC?
Payalnik
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:47
Speaking about wma and aac, there is are different opinions and no absolute truth. There are pluses and minuses in each standard!

mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:47
pffft at people giving wrong answers.

http://www.allformp3.com/mp3_other/mtm.htm
is some software that will convert mp3 to midi. However the software aint free. If you search on google for "mp3 to midi conversion" you'll probably find something.

THe only downside is that that quality of the midi at the end of it all is not always very good
Payalnik
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-10 22:56
Whoops! And that does work? O_o

Dazism
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-10 23:43
it is IMPOSSIBLE to convert and MP3 to midi. I have searched long and hard.

Midi files contain no actual music just a set of instructions that tell the midi synthesiser what note to play and for how long, which is why they are extremely small files.

MP3s are recordings of sounds, digital or otherwise. each file contains all of the music which is why they are much larger.

There are some progs that will convert an mp3 to midi but the mp3 has to contain a single instrument. Converting anything that has more than one instrument is a no go.

I'm sure there are tons of posts on here saying the same thing.
Merovingian
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-01-11 17:09
thanx very much all of you Especially you mixin.... going to test out that software now

anti_christ666
Sentertainment
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-11 17:29
Quote:

On 2004-01-10 23:43:37, Dazism wrote:
it is IMPOSSIBLE to convert and MP3 to midi. I have searched long and hard.

Midi files contain no actual music just a set of instructions that tell the midi synthesiser what note to play and for how long, which is why they are extremely small files.

MP3s are recordings of sounds, digital or otherwise. each file contains all of the music which is why they are much larger.

There are some progs that will convert an mp3 to midi but the mp3 has to contain a single instrument. Converting anything that has more than one instrument is a no go.

I'm sure there are tons of posts on here saying the same thing.

Just think past the recording and abilities of each format, actual MP3 music contains actual musical notes from actual instruments.

Supposedly (and I know it is possibly as an actual programmer myself) what this software does it recognizes notes that can be played in a midi file, so certain parts of the songs converted like speach wont play as speach they will play at the approximate frequency of the sound that the voice is emmited, but the actual background music will be converted to the frequency of the sound.

So it is possible!
Dazism
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-11 17:46
do post results here
maxjaker
T300
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-11 22:11
i don't think that... mp3 files it's only a record sounds, and the midi files are a notes, are a digital sounds, and not recorded sounds.

i think.... any software can convert mp3 files to midi files.

if that result... how i put a 3.5MB in my phone??

[ This Message was edited by: maxjaker on 2004-01-11 21:12 ]
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-11 22:18
Like Dazism said, it is possible to convert mp3 to midi but it will be awefull, I tested 4 different programs and none was able to convert it, yes you have your file but it sounds like ... nothing
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-11 22:42
This has been answered on Esato so many times before...

1) .wav files are digitally sampled sound files (like CD's).
2) .mp3 files are COMPRESSED digitally sampled sound files (almost like 'zipped' CD's).
3) .mid files are NOT digitally sampled sound files, they are a list of instructions telling a midi enabled musical device (such as a mobile phone) HOW TO PLAY a piece of music.

A midi device has a finite number of instruments, just like an orchestra. This is why you can't use sampled speech etc. with a purely midi device. Nobody in an orchestra plays the 'voice' instrument, if you want a violin or a French horn to play, no problem, it's the same with midi, although midi does have many, many more instruments (or sounds) available than an orchestra

Any program that attempts to convert .wav, .mp3 whatever to midi needs to do the following:

1) Calculate the number of different individual instruments used in the song.

2) 'Listen' to each of these instruments playing and accurately record the notes, note lengths and rests for EVERY INSTRUMENT for the ENTIRE LENGTH of the song.

3) Go through the library of available midi instruments and assign the closest possible matches for each instrument determined in step 1.

4) Write the midi code (midi is actually a form of a programming languge) for the entire song.

Sounds easy? Well unfortunately it's not. Computers do not have an ear for music in the same way that humans do, I wonder if our programmer friend here will give us some C or C++ code that does all of the above?

The point is, midi was originally devised as a method for electronically recording the output of keyboards and synthesizers (and later other instruments) back in the eighties in an efficient way when technological restrictions meant that large-scale sound sampling simply wasn't possible without incredibly expensive equipment. This meant that midi was a tool for musicians to use, and it remains so today.

Computers just aren't very good at 'listening' to music and creating midi files. Humans are, which is why you regularly see job adverts for midi musicians on ringtone sites.
Sentertainment
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-12 00:06
Quote:

On 2004-01-11 22:18:48, Jim wrote:
Like Dazism said, it is possible to convert mp3 to midi...

first of all that is not at ALL waht he said, second...
Computers already have decent speach recognition and they actually have MUCH better audio (frequency) recognition, so computers can actually do this REAL WELL...it's only the programming that's hard, maybe I should try to write my own program to recognize sound notes...it might be interesting? What do you guys think, should I try?

I've written many other good programs in the past like IRC bots and DDR (a game) stepfile makers. I'll think about it...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi