Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > R4D001 Firmware upgrade corrupts T610 sim card...(I assume)

Author R4D001 Firmware upgrade corrupts T610 sim card...(I assume)
Uncle Bob
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 11:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I was in the area yesterday and decided to flash my phone to R4D001, so I went into the service centre and went through all the motions of getting the upgrade. I had version R3C on my phone prior to the upgrade.

My phone is locked down do Vodafone so obviously they could only flash it with the Vodafone build. (At least the menu icons look so much better now ) Afterwards I buggered off, minding my own business until I had to make a call. This is where the shit hit the fan...

I could not make any outgoing calls at all. When you select a number from the address book, or typing in a number, it indicates that it is dialling for a second or to then it goes away and clears the screen. During this, there is no dialling tone at all. I could only dial numbers to the local area code I was in; no other numbers was able to dial out (i.e. mobile numbers, 0800, 0845 and any other number with another area's dialling code). I did not think about it to see if I could at least receive any calls.

Now I know that there was nothing wrong before I did the flashing stuff, as I made a few calls, including my bank's telebanking number (0845) beforehand, and I did not have any problems then.

I could not even call Singlepoint to find out if my account was blocked for any reason, due to this problem, so I went to Phones4U (where I got my phone/contract) and did the customer complaint thing.

Obviously, the guy over there at first did not believed me, then when I showed him what I meant, he could not figure out the how's and why's et al. Therefore, he calls up Singlepoint who then said that there is nothing wrong with my account and that there is no barring on any numbers I wish to call.

The Singlepoint operator then put us on hold for a minute (discussing this with her supervisor I suppose) when we decided to swap sim cards with one of their demo Vodafone phones. Guess what? Same story, can only dial local numbers! By this time, the Singlepoint operator came back to us suggesting the same thing - swap sim cards. We told her we did and what the result was, and she said that the sim card is f**ked and I should get another one.

They then took my old one and gave me a new one, after giving the lady the new cards serial number. I then had to wait "up to 24 hours" for the new card to work. At least I retained my mobile number and luckily, I do not store any info on my sim card. I then tried again and after about an hour, I could make and receive any calls again, so the story has a happy ending.

This is where the questions begin:

1. Any idea as to what and why this happened?
2. Anybody else with similar problems when upgrading to R4D001?
3. Is it safe to say that this upgrade is harmful to your phone's health as it will f**k up and corrupt your sim card?
4. Type your question here...
sn3ipen
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-08 16:30
I do not think it have something to do with the firmware because when you got a new sim card your phone started to work. So therfor i think the lady was right about that your sim card is f*cked upp. I dont think would release a firmware that is unhealty for your phone.
[joke]but you never know with vodafone [/joke]

Edit: I forgot to say that this was a god story that almost ended in tragick.

[ This Message was edited by: speedooh on 2004-01-08 15:39 ]
lamebot
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-08 19:44
What do the new voda icons look like then? The old ones are a real reason for not getting a voda-branded t610 (although not the only).
wapmarks.net - WAP links and personal phone startpage
wap.wapmarks.net - phone access
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 19:50
Who had your SIM card during the flash ? As it takes 30 minutes to flash, someone had the SIM and something or someone messed up the card ( accident I suppose ). That could be an explanation
Uncle Bob
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 07:46
The sim card was not removed at all. The flashing was done in front of me, and I did not loose sight of the phone at all. From start to finish it lasted about ten minutes.

The icons now looks more like the SE original icons, but in the vodafone colours.

My question is: I was able to make calls to any location prior to flashing my phone. I also received a call a few minutes before, yet afterwards I could not. At what point did the sim card become corrupted and how/why?
palmman
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 08:30
I'm not really sure that flashing could damage the SIM card. But I think flashing is usually done with the SIM removed from the phone as it is not required to be there during the upgrade.
CrackerJack
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 17:18
I have several phones. Inevitably, I had to get them upgraded by the local service center. The technician always asked me to take my SIM card and battery with me because they only need the phone and nothing else.

I'm not sure about this, but I think your SIM card got corrupted when they flashed the phone with it (SIM) still attached.
INTEGRITY

Without it...
Everything else is irrelevant.
SimonB
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-01-09 17:31
Uncle Bob,

what are the added benefits of the R4D001 update?
Uncle Bob
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-10 02:31
Icons still in vodafone style, but at least it looks nicer now, also different font for the power saving clock. The battery charge icon is now in blue. In the Connectivity section there is now an added Vodafone propaganda menu above the Bluetooth menu with links to Help, Information, Leisure Answer Phone and Phone services. Each has its own submenu to traffic updates, voicemail, speaking clock, directory enquiries, voice email and some more other crap. Regarding speed and that type of stuff, I don't know as I do not know how/where to do benchmark tests.

Give me a link to an "authoritive" benchmark test and I'll do it and post the results, then all you guys can make comparrisons and post your comments.
mredd27
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-01-10 02:39
http://jbenchmark.com/
Uncle Bob
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-12 07:50
I forgot to say but games also loads faster - less than two seconds.

Here's the results:

JBenchmark: 671

Details:
Text: 165
2D shapes: 137
3D Shapes: 66
Fill Rate: 26
Animation: 277

JBenchmark Version: null
Screen width: 128
Screen height: 127
Color screen: true