Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Can BT Earpiece really do this?

Previous  12
Author Can BT Earpiece really do this?
Jolitorax
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 08:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yeah, and using a cellphone onboard a plane can cause the plane to crash. C'mon! At least ten people on every single airplane forget to turn their phones off. An millions of people use cellphones on gas stations every day. If security is based on you and me turning phone off every time we fly or tank or whatever then we should better stay home! People break these rules all the time, and will continue doing so.
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 21:13
i know its crap, but in my town theres a bylaw against using cell phones at gas stations. theres a $46 fine too! I know cuz my gf got one!
kalo93406
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-01-07 22:07
The question is, if the Cell phone can cause enough static electricity to produce a spark…??? And, it is the case only if the spark is very close to where you are fueling the auto. There is truth that many people have been badly burned when fueling their auto and had a static charge on the body. Usually produced by their clothing. They would touch the auto near the fueling spot while fueling and it would set off a flame from the static charge. The real problem with all of the really badly burned cases was that they proceeded to pull out the fueling nozzle quickly which caused much more flame to be produced. Moral of the story if there is ever a flame while fueling.. don't pull out the darn nozzle or you will die! This tended to be problem for women more than men do to clothing types worn, so instruct your wives and girlfriends about this. A charge on clothing can usually be release by touching the auto body PRIOR to fueling... Does a cell phone or bluetooth device have the charge to cause the same thing??? Probably 100,000 to one NOT.. but would you have your daughter test this theory? I wouldn’t... Cheers all...

One other thing.. The fact that at least some petrol stations have these warnings about no cell phone usage, to me, means that this HAS likely occurred in the past... Just because we haven't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen... It likely HAS happened already, and that is why they are warning us.

[ This Message was edited by: kalo93406 on 2004-01-07 21:37 ]
SCORPIONKING1982
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-07 22:20
good point kalo, i mean who really wants to be the the first to find out that it can cause an explosion!
as the old sayin goes, better safe than sorry!
myspace.com/scorpionking1982
sybercouch88
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 01:40
In the US there are notices at the petrol stations " Do use mobile phones while at the pumps". I never pay any attention to them and no one says anything. Just a thought if the FCC require phone manufactures to have certifications stateing that their handsets will radiate my brain It should be perfectly safe to use around the petrol pumps.
kalo93406
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 07:38
---Just a thought if the FCC require phone manufactures to have certifications stateing that their handsets will radiate my brain It should be perfectly safe to use around the petrol pumps.

This doesn't make sense at all.. what are you trying to say here???

Did you read anything at all in the thread above????
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 10:05
Here in Portugal we have signs forbiding the use of phones in gas stations, but i never heard that such an accident did happen. Nevertheless, if they put the sign it must be for something, so if dont turn off my cell i at least avoid use or touch it in such places

This message was posted from a T610

lastjedimaster
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 11:38
In the UK people are constantly complaining about mobile antenna's and of recent it has been shown that a lot of them are hidden in petrol station signs. So I would presume that the mobile signal itself cannot cause an explosion as obviously the signals going to be a lot stronger from the antenna than your phone. I would presume that its just the electric charge in the phone which means a walkman or a pda or any other electronic device could also cause an explosion. I think the risk of this is quite slim though but as with most signs or requests from staff it is just to remove liability.
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 11:39
Quote:
Yeah, and using a cellphone onboard a plane can cause the plane to crash. C'mon!

Not to crash but making interference with the onboard instuments. Frequency of aviation, GPS, Satellite and Radar is 960 - 1700 MHz, frequency of mobile phones 900MHz range: 806 - 960, 1800MHz range: 1710 - 1980. So all the instruments could be messed up as the frequency are very close !!!!

And some will say, but and those built in phones in the plane why can the be used ? Well it uses 2480 - 2500 MHz so no problem at all here
makntraks
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-01-08 22:41
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

They pretty much busted the myth on one of the shows they did...
buckle247
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-08 22:47
never used my phone in petrol station, but at the same time have never remembered to turn it off, usually there is one small sign on the door on the way in to pay for petrol, surley if they were scared about the risk of the petrol station blowing up the signs would be bigger, and more frequent.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi