Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Opera cannot load pages but the internet program does via gprs on P900!

12  Next
Author Opera cannot load pages but the internet program does via gprs on P900!
MrZippo
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-12-28 16:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey my problem is that Opera cannot load any web pages but the internet prog that came with the P900 does!!!
I totally don't understand why this is the case. I can load web pages on "internet" but the damn thing wont fit the P900 screen

Also my mms gets to 94% and then says "Unable to process request"

I am with vodafone and previously I could not connect via gprs so i rang vodafone and I got the auto setup sms sent to me and now gprs sorta works but not for MMS and Opera!!!
Anyone encountered this problem and know how to fix it??
Its damn annoying because vodafone said that if I cannot get the mms to work I may have to drop it off at a SonyEricsson centre to get them to "fix" the problem.
Any advice would be most helpful! Thanks in advance
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2003-12-28 17:03
MrZippo

I am using an O2 SIM in my unlocked Orange P900 and from the O2 site I was sent three settings: GRPS for WAP, GPRS for MMS and GPRS for internet. Is this the case for Vodafone? For Orange thwe WAP and Internet are also different. Can you say what internet accounts you have in the Control Pabnel/ Internet Accounts setting.
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
MrZippo
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-12-29 03:11
Right
I originally had

Vodafone GSM Wap
Vodafone GSM Web
Vodapone GPRS Wap
Vodafone GPRS Web
Vodafone GPRS MMS

After the auto update via sms I now got in addition to those

Vodafone GPRS
MMS GPRS Postpay

I use the MMS GPRS postpay with the MMS and it gets to 94% stops for a few secs and then comes up with Failed to send MMS unable to process request.
although when I check if its sent kbs it has sent some but not all of it.
Well weird Could it be vodafone that is buggered or is my P900 faulty?

Vodafone GPRS works for internet but when I use it with opera it fails to connect, I only get the globe icon and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-12-29 03:21
Make sure in internet accounts, you have "preferred" set to "vodafone GPRS web". In messaging accounts, select "vodafone GPRS wap" as the "wap account". Also, in wap accounts, preferred, DEselect "use wap account". [addsig]
IanP.
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-12-29 10:58
I had an identical problem, but with O2. Once O2 has provisioned my SIM card for MMS and GPRS I could use the built-in Internet application fine but could send MMS (always stopped at 94%) and couldn't get Opera to load more than 1Kb of a page.

I thought the MMS problem might be down to me sending images that were too large (pixels or Kb) so tried sending a much smaller one (160x120 and only 5kb). That got through fine, so I reverted back to the one I was actually trying to send (640x480 and 40kb). This time, it sent fine. The recipient couldn't actually download it all (a problem at their end, assume). So I put my MMS problems down to intermittent problems on the O2 network (or with my connection to it). Does MMS require that you have a really good signal (I was at 2 or 3 bars).

The Opera problem still exists: last night it was simply getting stuck with 1KB in the top-right status area; now I'm getting a "Bad name" message at the bottom.

I have two GPRS connections (both auto-setup via the O2 website): "O2 WAP GPRS" and "O2 MMS" (preferred is "O2 WAP GPRS"). I also have "Show connection dialog" on so I can see what connection it's trying to use. Last night it popped up and allowed me to confirm it should be using "O2 WAP GPRS" before failing at 1KB. Now I get the "Bad name" message without it even asking me what connection to use.

Ho hum. I'm sure I'll work it out eventually.
peregrinum
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-12-29 15:41
Here's the skinny for O2 UK:

The P900's built-in "Internet" application is a WAP browser. It does not connect directly to web servers on the Internet. Rather, every request goes through a WAP gateway server provided (usually) by your mobile carrier. That WAP gateway connects to the actual web server, retrieves the page, and sends the data on to your handset. For this to work, your P900 only needs to be able to communicate with the WAP gateway on your carrier's network.

Opera is a "real" web browser and it behaves just like the browser on your desktop computer: when opening a page, it connects directly to the web server and retrieves the data itself. To retrieve pages, Opera must be able to make connections to servers on the Internet.

O2 (UK) have two different GPRS access points we need to be concerned with.

The WAP APN is "wap.o2.co.uk". (This will appear next to "Address:" in the P900's GPRS configuration screen.) This access point allows connections to only to O2's internal network. It does not allow connections to the Internet. You can use the "Internet" application with this access point, because that browser only needs to communicate with O2's WAP gateway. You can also use this access point to access your O2 mailbox with the built-in email client (see below). On phones provisioned by O2, this access point is typically listed as "O2 GPRS WAP". Opera will not work with this access point, nor will any other Internet application.

The Internet APN is "mobile.o2.co.uk". This is what O2 call their "Mobile Web" service - essentially, GPRS with unrestricted Internet access. It allows connections to the entire Internet as well as O2's servers. This is the access point to use with Opera. On my O2-provisioned P900 this one is listed as "O2 Mobileweb". If you do not already have a GPRS connection configured for this APN you will have to add one; try username "O2web" and password "password". You can also use this access point to connect to O2's WAP and email servers - in other words, you should be able to use this APN for *all* GPRS connections, with one important caveat: O2 are running a free WAP (sorry, that's "O2 Active" now) promotion until the end of January. If you have this promotional billing, connections made through the mobile.o2.co.uk APN may be charged to you while connections through wap.o2.co.uk will be free. I'm personally sticking with wap.o2.co.uk until February.

** O2 email: if you have an O2 email account created through the http://o2.co.uk/ web site, you can access that mailbox from your P900. Create a new messaging account, type POP3, incoming server name mail.o2.co.uk, outgoing server name smtp.o2.co.uk, and the "use SMTP authentication" and "use Inbox login details" boxes ticked.
IanP.
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-12-29 16:58
That's great peregrinum - mobile.o2.co.uk did the trick. Opera works now! It's much better than the built-in browser, because I'm not constantly scrolling left and right.

I had to switch off the "Show connection dialog" before Opera would initiate the connection (it was fine if I'd already established the connection via another app but didn't seem to be able to create the connection dialog itself). I also managed to send and receive e-mail from my non-O2 e-mail account (which I wasn't sure O2 supported). Great!
MrZippo
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-12-29 21:41
thats cool mate, and I am glad you managed to get your GPRS connection sorted, but any ideas what I can do to get my opera to work with the vodafone network?????
peregrinum
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-12-30 15:45
I don't use Vodafone, but I'd guess that you're maybe facing the same general sort of issue: Vodafone might operate two different access points, one restricted to internal services and one open to the Internet. You need to use the one with full Internet access.

Maybe http://wapota.vizzavi.co.uk/ can help?
MrZippo
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-01-01 00:20
cheers for the advice I will try it tomorrow, just got home from work gonna go out and celebrate the new year, happy new year to you all
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-01 03:56
with vodafone, create a new internet account with "internet" as the apn (address). this will then work. its 2004 and we dont have flying cities or hoverboards i am well disappointed. [addsig]
ammsexy118
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-01-01 20:29
hi guys im soooooooo glad ive found you im on o2 well genie pay as you go and i also have the 1kb problem and its soooo very frustrating i have a p800 and have entered all the possible settings given if anyone can help id appreciate it sooo much xxx thankyou
phils.t610
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-01-01 21:08
Finally sussed it, all the info you need is here
http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=689

Ps AND CLICK 'ACCESS POINTS'

[ This Message was edited by: phils.t610 on 2004-01-01 20:09 ]
MrZippo
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-01-04 13:36
I have tried and tried and tried!
Still no luck, I Am gonna give up on it and just not bother.

Bunnystrangler
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-01-04 13:52
to use opera you need to set your connection to use this proxy server otherwise you wont go anywhere but the o2 homepage 193.113.200.195 and port 8080 or 80 hope this help, it works on my p800
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi