Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > AT&T + Cingular Merging???

Previous  12
Author AT&T + Cingular Merging???
cingularman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-20 21:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
My point that i am trying to make is THE NATIONAL ROAMING PARTNER. with cingular is a&t . not t-moblie....there are Regional partnerships. AS far as Nation Untrue T-moblie has regional agreements. As far as the same network Untrue again. T-moblie in the great lakes region is GSM 1900 we are 850. Differnt Band. So networks are not the same. these to bands can seemlesly work together. Like at&t is 1900 here also And i am talking about coverage areas The FOOTPRINT for cingulars GSM area is bigger (with there roaming agreements included) . than t-moblie. actual areas that get the best reception not sure could not give a true answer on that. So not 100%.....lol i like GSM better also...(vs verizon) (i only work for an agent not cingular direct).

I did also look at the map on GSM world. They must not have put the udated map as far as Cingulars GSM 850 band
it is showing the 1900 Band......(On that map of the illinois area i see my house that little white dot no coverage)

[ This Message was edited by: cingularman on 2004-02-20 20:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cingularman on 2004-02-20 21:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cingularman on 2004-02-20 21:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cingularman on 2004-02-20 21:07 ]
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-02-20 22:04
I like a fired up debate. I myself just switched to Cingular. I've been loyal to T-Mobile and Voicestream since the mid-90s and felt really bad about switching but the fact is that Cingular has better coverage when I'm at home and when I'm at my friend's place. This merging should be good for coverage but lousy for competition. I'm sure prices won't go down anymore because of the merge. However, it will be interesting to see if Sprint will last through next generation.

Enjoy your GSM!!!

porterg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-21 16:58
Here's the thing: t-mobile is strictly 1900mhz. A few of their phones have 850mhz enabled. ATT uses 1900, and have a good selection of phones that have 850mhz enabled. Cingular has 1900mhz in Carolinas and CA. The rest of their liscensened areas are being converted to 850mhz, and is mostly complete. 850 will give you a larger coverage area then 1900.

Now, att, cingular, and t-mobile customers will certainly use each others towers at time, and in NYC, philly, and Ca t-mobile and cingular are actually selling in same markets for 1900mhz. Verizon and US Cellular use each others towers. That is the nature of the business. NO ONE owns 100% of the country on their band, excepting sprint and Nextell.

With an 850/1900 mhz phone, your GSM coverage is VASTLY increased. 1900 has a max range of 5 miles radius. 850 has a potential for around 15 miles radius. The conversion project for Cingular, where an 850mhz module is added to all towers is very inexpensive to do. Since the towers are already in place, doesn't require all the legal requirements of liscensing, getting FCC, state, county and local permissions. Nor does it cost millions to put up. This gives greater coverage away from cities and highways. If you have 1900 only, and you go more the 3 miles off of, say, US95, in many areas say bye bye to coverage. 850 increases that in lots of areas. Basically increases rural areas.

Also, since Cingular will offer the exact same phones across the country, it allows someone from NJ to get their phone serviced in Ca. Reps will know what they are doing. If someone brings me a tdma, I am almost clueless, haven't worked with them in 6 years.

So, lets say a t-mobile cust with a v60 is travelling around NJ, and gets to an area where no gsm 1900, but there is cingular 850. They have no service, because most t-mobile phones have no 850 enabled. What it comes down to is that the actual Cingular owned GSM network is considerably larger then the T-mobile owned network. No one owns more digital towers then Cingular, and integrate ATT into the mix, gets even bigger.

Here is another thing:FCC is allowing analog only towers to be shut off in july 2006. Say goodbye to lots of very rural and mountain coverage, as well as many towers that loose lots of money.

Now, there is a map program that Cingular stores can show you that show true network coverage, as well as where plans and features work with the main carriers. Go into a store and ask to be show it if you do not believe me. I am really hoping that it is put on the cingular website. Would make sense to me.

Damn, my fingers really hurt now.
cingularman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-23 21:00
This is very true cingular dosent own all of the coverage it offers it uses the roaming partnerships. Also right on with the GSM 850 they are doing the coversion natiowide. Now i learned this mourning from a DM from cingular once the aqusition of At&t completes there is going to be a switch on there network also. By that i mean any of there coverage areas that are still TDMA are going to be GSM very quickly. I belive their goal is to wipe out all analog before the 2006 deadline. For example cingular is working with Dobson Communications in northern Wisconsin for doing a switch to GSM there. this should be completed by March 2004....
porterg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-24 04:11
Yup. And there is going to be actual large amounts of coverage through the mountain time zone. Cingular wants all of its TDMA and analog shut off by 2006. Can easily be done.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi