Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > How many has had problems with their T68m

Author How many has had problems with their T68m
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-18 19:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
>>gibler
Yepp do believe so, and it certainly shouldnt be like that!
Think Iīll go for R2D tomorrow, will be interesting to see if the same problem occurs on that ver.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-18 19:37
i have had a lot of problems: it broke down 4times i even got a new one in january. the slide key is the weak point of the T68 so be carrefull when you drop it. one softwear crash whit R1B.
and my YES button doesn't work
jas
K600
PM
Posted: 2002-04-18 23:43
About the problems with T68m:

># It shuts down when it lies in my back pocket

I have had mine shut down in my pocket when under pressure. Maybe that is what happens for you too?

># It displays that there is average coverage, but when I call someone it never reaches the connecting part, cause somehow the coverage disapeers!

This is the most annoying thing! I have experience exactly the same thing. I even took a scientific view at it and put the phone to the test. I tried to call a number, and if it managed to connect OK I registered an "OK", and otherwise a "Not OK". Then I waited five minutes (for the phone to calm down) and tried again. I repeated the experiment 20 times. Result:

OK: 10
Not OK: 10
Total: 20

In other words, half of the times I wasn't able to connect! This is really bad. The good news is that, if I tried to call directly after a "Not OK", I usually got through. But even that is not good enough. Then I did a similar test, where I called my T68m from another phone. The result:

OK: 12
Not OK: 3
Total: 15

The result: 3/15 = 20% of all calls did not get through! Either they were dropped immediately or they were just diverted directly to my voice mail. This result is even worse --- if I cannot call from the phone, I will notice that --- but if people are trying and failing to call me, I wouldn't know! In this experiment I again let the phone "rest" for five minutes in between tests.

I should add that all these tests were done in a place where I had perfect reception. My other phone (an old R320 brick) didn't experience any problems.

I would encourage T68 owners to do this little test on their phone. I would hope that it is only a small minority that has this reception problem, but who knows? Please post a mail here if you can do the test without problems, so that we can rule out the possibility that this is a software/hardware bug that is present in all phones.

# And a last it is so damn slow when writing a SMS, looking at my stored SMS's

Here I have a good tip: Remove all the SMS:es from your SIM-card. It is them that causes the SMS:list to be so slow. Every SMS on the SIM-card slows the updating of the list with approximately 0.5 seconds. Thus, 3 SIM SMS:es will mean that you have to wait 1,5 seconds MORE every time you enter your INBOX, for instance. With no SIM-card SMS:es, the lists are at least pretty fast.

I should also add that I have had problems with GPRS-Wap, sending and receiving SMS and also with dropped calls, but all these problems are most probably due to the reception problem. I turned it in today, and they said that I probably would get it exchanged (for another T68m) but I might have to wait 3 weeks for the exchange phone!

-JAS
snottra
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 09:22
Hmm your scientific experiment isn't that good, you seems to forget that your network operator is heavily involved too.

First, your network provider can set parameters in the network to contact that phone and update him on coverage i.e.
If the network provider sets parameters to contact your phone very seldom you can experience bad coverage sometimes. The gain he gets from it are less control traffic in his network, so he don't need to buy more infrastructure, radio base stations.
No two, -if your network provider have a network that are full with users, your call can't get through and is therefore rejected, with other words you experience bad coverage because you can't set up a call and/or the guy calling your mobile ends up in the answering machine. usually a user quits his call so if you an't get throgh and you try to set it up directly after you get rejected you will most probably be able to set up a call.

So you scientific experiment has some down sides. But to some extent I agree with you that the phone is causing the problems.
jas
K600
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 09:39
Hi Snottra,

>Hmm your scientific experiment isn't that good, you seems to forget >that your network operator is heavily involved too.

I agree that the science is not of very high standards in this case. However, I have coducted the same test with my old R320 also, in the same room, at the same time, with the same operator, and the old brick never has any problems in any of the directions (calling to and from). So I am pretty convinced that it is my T68 that is causing the problems.

-JAS, M. Sc., Ph.D. by the way
snottra
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 09:59
@JAS,
I must say that I'm a bit surprised when you call it scientific if you have degrees in both M. Sc., Ph.D. At least when I studied at university I learned not to make conclusions of less then 25 experiment, calculus of probability says at least 25 attempts before you can do any scientific analysis.

But I will not start a fight over this. I have also had problems with my phone, so lets not spend energy on nagging on each other. I rest my case.
jas
K600
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 10:31
Hi snottra,

I agree that the experiment is unscientific, when I wrote scientific in the original mail it was only meant as a joke.

However, I am still interested to see the result of somebody else doing the experiment on their phone. For instance, if you get 19 of your 20 outcoming calls through, it would be good for me to know. If you also land on approximately 50%, and this is true in general for all T68:s, then Sony Ericsson might be in bad shape.

-JAS
snottra
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 10:37
@jas
Which operator do you have? Where r u located?

I will do test myself as you have so we can comapare, could be intresting
jas
K600
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 10:41
I have a Telia DOF subscription, I am located in Stockholm.

> I will do test myself as you have so we can comapare, could be
> intresting

This will be great!

-JAS
Gustaf
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-04-19 20:01
My T68m has only freezed when playing ex ERIX or during wap. It has also shown strange symbols during wap but only once. Now after all upgrades it seems more stabile.

No other problems with my phone and itīs made in week 38, 2001. Probably one of the first.
Gnuig
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-20 03:27
mrNoodles> Thanks for your input...

I believe I have solved the NO-button problem... ?!?!?!

Try key-locking your phone. Past this leave it for 3-4 min. and (as the numbers for your clock in dim light mode scroll) then hold down (and keep holding down) the NO button for about 10 secs.

This should white screen the phone, hence turn it OFF!!!

It may/may not be a software fault.

Personally I think this SUCKS, since I use the keylock a lot! You may say this is a 'special-sony-ericsson-only' keylock, that only does its job halfway...

It happens quite often for me... also depends on the 'stiffness' of your NO-button.

Anyway, try it out...

I found something on the issue in here, as a 'know problem'... just can't seem to find that thread again now I'll keep looking around, but it's kindda late, and I gotta go offline soon...

jas> Nice to hear about the SIM-card issue for SMS's... I'll try deleting all saved stuff here and see if my SMS menues etc. are quicker.

ON the connection problem...

I only have one thing to say:
I have about a 88% connection succes
I guess this means I loose around 12% of incomming call too?!?!

Don't get me started on the scientific experimentation issue... ha,ha... As far as I know this is primarily a network problem. Why other phones seem to get 'higher' priority for connecting sometimes... may be a SW/HW problem, but I definatly have a problem here too. Seems to be all across the platform: gprs-wap, e-mail, voice.

Really bad to realize 'WE' may be loosing calls. I know for a fact you loose a call if you WAP in gprs mode...

setting this mode to automatic in the connection settings, may help.

But you are right there is something about this 50/50 thing...

Cheers...

I still love my T68!
(SW R2B/HW R1A - week 44, 2001)
n|ck_xp
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-04-20 18:07
My T68m is already for repair in the US...
I am waiting for it as soon as possible...
A lot of problems with that in the past.....
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-20 18:29
Gnuig and all other.

First of all I would like to apologise to all that been talking about the "NO-button" problem, that its turned off with key lock on (when pushing the NO button for around 10sec). I really thought you been in the sun to long or looking way to deep in the bottle;-)

I tried it on my T68m a few seconds ago, and I didnt almost belived what I saw!!
It turned OFF when key lock was activated!! If the phone is in a pocket for example its not imposssible that the button is pressed in 10sec or more!

This really sucks, if it wasnt for the thing that my GF has a T39 so we can share all accessories, like car charger and so on, I would go and buy a Nokia right away!! Now Im really pisst, to h*ll with the T68m/T68i problem and the MMS upgrade and more, but wtf, a phone that turns off while key lock is activated!!

Now its WAR!!
Gustaf
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-04-20 19:00
Go and complain in the store and say that you doesnīt think that this is acceptable.

By the way I think that youīve got a lemon phone.

My one hasnīt anything almost of what you guys are talking about. Maybe they had a bad day at factory when they made your phone.

And...... Nokia

mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-20 19:30
>>Gustaf!!
You mean that youre T68m doesnt turns off while pressing NO for almost 10sec when "KEY-LOCK" is turned on?!
I just read the manual, and it clealy stated that while KEY-LOCK i activated no keys will be able to use - except 112 for emergency call!

Has everyone else tried it?

And YES Nokia is not really an alternative but I feels so frustrated when I paid 6249SEK for my phone, and its been replaced 2times!!
When it works as it supposed to I love it!!
But those times are easy to count

[ This Message was edited by: mrNoodles on 2002-04-20 19:32 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi