Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > jellyellie youre famous! Bluejacking is recognised by the bbc!

Author jellyellie youre famous! Bluejacking is recognised by the bbc!
angelman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hey check this out
esato and jellyellie have made it to the bbc!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3237755.stm
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:45
...for those on WAP

New mobile message craze spreads

Phone owners now have something else to do with their handset: bluejacking. This involves sending anonymous text messages to other phone users via Bluetooth short-range radio.

Bluetooth works over a range of about 10 metres and phones fitted with it can be made to search for other handsets using it that will accept messages sent to them.

Mobile phone buffs have been bluejacking for months but it now looks set to become much more widespread.

Radio gewgaw

Bluetooth was created as a way for mobile phones to easily connect to other handsets as well as devices such as headsets, home computers and printers.

The radio technology only used to appear on more expensive phones but is rapidly becoming a standard feature in all kinds of handsets.

Research carried out for the Bluetooth special interest group, which oversees the development of the technology, suggests that more than one million Bluetooth-enabled devices are being shipped every week.

The idea of bluejacking originated on the message boards of the Esato website that is a favourite of many owners of SonyEricsson phones.

"I came across the idea of bluejacking at an online discussion forum and it immediately struck me as a fun thing to do," said Ellie, who set up and runs the bluejackQ (Bluejack You) website.

She said the "priceless" expression on the face of her first victim as he tried to work out what was going on has turned her into a regular bluejacker.

"This, mixed with not knowing whether the victim will react in an amused/confused or negative way gives me an adrenaline rush," she said.

Message Centre

Bluejacking involves creating a contact in your phone's address book using the message you want to send as the name for the entry.

On most Bluetooth phones it is possible to send this contact as a message or electronic business card.

Choosing to send this contact via Bluetooth makes a phone search for other Bluetooth-enabled devices nearby.

Bluejacking works underground too
The contact bearing its message can then be sent anonymously to any Bluetooth phones within range.

To be bluejacked you must make sure your phone can be discovered by other Bluetooth devices.

The bluejacking craze seems to be catching on as numbers of page views of the bluejackq site are now averaging 8,000 per day.

Good spots for bluejacking are anywhere crowds of people gather such as railway stations, airports, pubs or busy shopping streets. Ellie said that mobile phone shops usually yield a few targets too.

Although Bluetooth is included on many phones, many people have it turned off because they do not use it.

However, bluejacking expeditions by BBC News Online technology staff have shown that in any decent-sized crowd, such as on a tube train or train platform, usually reveals several Bluetooth phones.

HOW TO BLUEJACK
Turn Bluetooth on
Ensure your phone is discoverable by other Bluetooth devices
Create contact using your message as the name
Choose to send this contact via Bluetooth
Phone searches for Bluetooth-enabled phones within range
Pick a victim from the phones within range and send the contact to them
Now a regular bluejacker has set up a site to tell others how to do it and to swap tips and stories about the phenomenon.
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:48
Well done Ellie! very nice

You are now officially on the 'road to fame'
kev.morris
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:49
Cheers masseur

This message was posted from a T610

laveenl
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:54
wahaha!

[ This Message was edited by: laveenl on 2003-11-04 12:59 ]
Krippe
W595 White
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:56
Its geting big
marksurry
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 13:57
Splendid looking site Ellie. About time bluejacking (notice the liitle b) became recognised.
www.surryskingdom.co.uk
anish
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 14:16
Hi, I thought this was an idea of Ajack or Droll, didn't know that its JellyEllie's idea may be because I saw her website only a couple of weks ago
Knowledge is two fold. Knowing a subject or knowing where to find out about a subject. I rely on both... That is why I come here.
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 14:24
well done jellyellie. give it a year and they'll be trying to make it illegal!!

i do hope this doesnt spark a big debate over who invented the name bluejacking.... it was of course ajack
morbodestroys
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 14:34
Congrats!

But awareness is bad - now everyone's going to know what Bluejacking is and how to avoid it. They'll make it harder. They'll turn it off, or otherwise, leave it on but be aware of it and look for other people playing with their phones. It's going to be a lot harder...
Who wants to rise to the challenge?
Novell
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 14:45
JellyEllie's should've given credit to ajack or even Esato rather than just "an online discussion forum"...
Dan1984
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 15:09
It does mention Esato, however how ajack never got a mention I'll never know, seeing as if it wasn't for him.....well.....who knows...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 15:15
I bet there will be alot of Nokia users out there who read that and suddenly catch on to where that mysterious message came from that they were scratching their head over for some time!
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-11-04 15:15

oh come on guys. it is rather hard to give credit to some1 you only know by their web-nick and she is not at all giving the impression she invented it.

jester
T68i
PM
Posted: 2003-11-04 15:33
Credit is given ...

Quote:
'Bluejacking' didn't simply arise from nowhere. It had to be made up somehow. 'ajack' on the Esato mobile phone forums discovered the art of bluejacking many months ago, and it has taken off all around the net.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi