Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE following Nokia?

Author SE following Nokia?
Craig to the B
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-10-24 03:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Im beginning to feel a patern developing within the SE corporation....Phones being released are all very similar to previous ones. T610, T630, Z600, ok all though the Z600 is a flip phone, they all share the same software and work in the same way...ok the T630 has a TFT screen. You can definatly see a trend happening here, the same trend adopted by NOKIA where all there phones stay the same but only the casing changes! Does anyone else agree?

A good starting point for SE would to give there phones more dynamic memory at least 6MB to match the Nokias!

Lets here you own views on this....
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-10-24 03:26
Facelifting is a technique used by manufacturers in all walks of life, SE have not been doing it enough if you ask me, the mobile phone market is fashion lead to some extent & having the "Latest" is more important to younger buyers than anything alse, so if SE are to stay in the game , they must do a bit of "Mockia" in the future.
If you want memory, buy a high end mobile with unlimited expandable memory.
BTW, SE are doing a bit of mockia with the p800/p900, but this faclift includes a fair few differences.
Reminder; milk, sugar, crisps, post letter.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-24 03:26
why should we say SE is copying Nokia trend and not vice versa.

During the day of Ericsson, GH388, GH377, etc etc all look similar and having the same platform including charger and accesories etc etc and Nokia is still having different look and platform.

This happen all the while even until the time Ericsson come out with their 3 volt platform which see a drop of their market share ( t28, t39, t29, R320 etc etc) Those phone share same platform and almost identical outlook.

So no matter how it is Nokia who is copying SE and not SE copying Nokia.

wallpepper
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-10-24 04:40
Be that as it may, I do not think SONYERICSSON has ever followed NOKIA whatsoever. SONYERICSSON strives to obtain its unblemished picturesque finesse within the boundaries of Mobile-technology conceptually. This has been its prominent achievement.

Perpsectively, the previous "oldies" ERICSSON GF/GH-series stood on its own merit with its compact-classical standard-design and technology at that time. Following this "concept" were T28s, T29, T39 (GPRS), T65, T66 and finally "in color" for the 1st-time: T68. As our needs have been growing rapidly to convert mobile-phone into more of an advance PersonalDigitalAssistance, ERICSSON merged with SONY, thereby produced the so-called "King of the Mobile-phone": The legendary T68i. Bare in mind, that this handset was the first to include Multimedia Messaging feature, eloquently exceeded the concept of CommuniCam (MCA20) not as "a cosmetic" but an "essential-function". Not so many operators around the globe were ready for this concept by that time. Even in my country; Indonesia, and mostly SouthEast Asian Region. As if it was not enough to improve our knowledge in adapting the latest mobile-technology, the T68i has included POP3-mail feature to download/upload images/photos to our E-mail as attachments, Bluetooth and InfraRed for an unblemished data-transmition. Not to mention the first use of GeneralPacketRadioService for Internet-browsing and ultimately the commencing of SONYERICSSON FUN&DOWNLOAD WEBSITE for which we were brought into a totally different perspective about mobile-technology. We were able to create/edit our own THEMES, as well as uploading our own PHOTOS directly from MCA20. Such were the oustanding achievement by SONYERICSSON.

Today, we have been quite familiar with "high-tech" options. From the slim-stylish and powerful "mighty" 610, the mobile-game station of T310, up to the ultimate PDA-Phone (again, totally new concept) P800, it would be a reasonable doubt for us to question SONYERICSSON's astonishing platform.

Even so, the "cosmetic" vendors around the globe have their own share of the market. This would lead into such confusions, if provided without proper market-education. The projection of understanding in this particular issue is the questions of "OUR NEEDS" instead of "WHICHEVER THE BEST". I am most certain that eventually, "THE NEEDS" would overcome "THE WANTS' within every bits of aspect in our life. Mobile-technology is definitely included. Hence, to "satisfy" our "needs" has been - indeed - SONYERICSSON's tremendous efforts and achievements simultaneously.

That's my objective opinion about SONYERICSSON today. Not merley NOKIA, but other has to follow. Not the other way around. Why? IT'S "THE NEEDS".

Cheers!
Proud-owner of T68i, T300, T310 and T610... Seriously!
kenzoden
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-10-24 09:28
That's a fantastic observation, wallpepper.

Erisson did set the standard and raised the bar continuously in mobile technology. Many of the common place features now were first launched by Ericsson. Unfortunately, no one not even operators could see the potential of these features. Also, Ericsson didn't shout about these new features and therefore nothing came out of it.

Ericsson did a Nokia with the start of the T-series, unfortunately, this line was so plagued by numerous problems, it led to Ericsson's downfall. It didn't help when Nokia released their killer 8810, 8210 and 3210, which took them to the top.

Nokia as they have always loved to emphasize, "to make available the features and services only when the market is ready for it". In other words, let others be the pioneers to launch something new, they'll just copy it and add a nice cover, sell more phones...

Sony Ericsson is now doing a catch up game and regain what Ericsson could have been.
sn3ipen
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-24 16:11
I agree but p900 have more diffrent from the p800 then tou think.

http://www.clubsonyericsson.com/en/products_p900.htm#table
SCORPIONKING1982
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-24 16:46
whether they copy nokia or not is irrelevant, what matters is that they gain market share, increase their profits and continue to make what in my opinion are the best mobile phones on the market.
so what if the T630 is very close to the T610, all theyve done is perfected (apart from the looks) what was already a fantastic phone. Is that wrong? Everyone complained how bad the screen was on the T610, so what did do? They went and sorted it! Now you have a go at them for that?! Whats wrong with you people!
With regards to the P800/P900 issue ill give you my thoughts on that too. In never liked the P800, mainly because of looks and the lack of T9 input so I didnt buy it. Now have brought out out the P900 which in MY opinion looks better and has a few nice extra features to boot. I will now be buying one. Just with a few tweaks have persuaded me to part with my hard earned. I hardly think thats bad to you?
Put it this way, if didn't release any new phones until they had designed a completely new one then we'd all we waiting a while and complaing that they took too long to release new phones!
It looks to me like have got their act together and are starting to make an impact on the market and good for them I say.
myspace.com/scorpionking1982
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi