Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > New P800 features and capabilities...???

Previous  1234  Next
Author New P800 features and capabilities...???
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 20:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ all aggrieved P800 users.

i am afraid i am inclined 2 agree with drinker too on this one. if u think, and considering how the mobile phone market is, did anyone believe the P800 was gonna b SEs only ever smartphone? no!! wot would be the advantages for SE to release a brand new top of the range smartphone and then release a free upgrade for P800 users? none because then new users would just buy a cheap P800 and upgrade. therefore their brand new release would flop. big companies think big business. and Sony and Ericsson r big companies! dont get me wrong id much rather have a P900 in my hands than my P800....who wouldnt?! but the simple fact is P8 can do pretty much everything the P9 can do. i think they may make an upgrade available at a later date, but for now the sole reason 4 releasing P9 is to create a fresh new look to bring in new time buyers.
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 21:13
Yeah try to upgrade the 65k screen man!!The p900 has slighlty differences a new card reader i think, 65k screen and a little more memory.And something about the upgrades now.Why sony put an open architecture Os in the phone if they dont plan upgrades really,And why anyone buy a smartphone again if he knows that the support sucks?And the p800 is like a small pc as the palmtops or the other kind i dont remember now the name..Its upgratable with software so y not upgrade it?This is called support its not support to fix only the bugs in the phone even the samsung v200 now supporting the video capture why not p800?I dont give a sh-t about marketing if they want us to buy the expensive phones they make,we want real support.No one ask for a 65k screen in the p800 but the software support is paid by us already with 800EU,If we dont have it they dont have our money in our next purchuse.Thats all about that matter.
drinker
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 21:23
I know current P800 users will be annoyed, but the more I read here the more I believe they will not be getting a free P900 firmware update.

It seems that just because SE provided a free update from the t68m to the t68i (which I gladly took advantage of), everyone now expects free upgrades on all their phones. People, please bare in mind the t68m -> t68i offer was just a minor model update to provide all the features originally advertised for the t68 e.g. MMS. Upgrading a P800 to a P900 would be much more difficult (different hardware) and expensive (new license for the Symbian OS?)

Do you know of any other phone manufacturers who provide free upgrades to the latest model?

Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 21:38
What new model man? its almost the same exept the 65k screen what new hardware you see?
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
nixin
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 21:42
it has a 400Mhz ARM9 processor and it has a Mirror on the back. and a B & O loud speaker.
drinker
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 21:45
Quote:

On 2003-10-13 21:38:00, Arfi-Gorgona wrote:
What new model man? its almost the same exept the 65k screen what new hardware you see?

If you don't feel the new features of the P900 are of any interest then why are you so bothered about not getting a free upgrade?

I think it is very likely the hardware is different - how else would they manage to reduce the dimensions of the phone?
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 21:45
Dont forget the rocket launcher too....
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 22:10
arfi, wot makes you want the p900 upgrade so bad? my only reason id want one is because the look of the thing. the actual capabilities of the phone are not gonna be a lot greater. and i dont know why you keep on going on about support. SE will still support, 3rd parties will still support. i mean look at the n7650, thats still getting support, and that was the very first symbian based smartphone.

as you said yourself, and its been discussed many times on this forum before, p9 has a different screen and a different version UIQ. how do you know theres is gonna be an upgrade possibilty at all? t68m>t68I are the virtually the same phone. p8>p9 mite be like saying t68i>t610 upgrade.

in all honesty, no-one really knows much about the p900, or IS gonna know much until SE offically release it. there really is no point in getting uptight about it now.
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 23:18
If you don't feel the new features of the P900 are of any interest then why are you so bothered about not getting a free upgrade?

I think it is very likely the hardware is different - how else would they manage to reduce the dimensions of the phone?

[/quote]

Well i care only for the camera upgrade and i dont think so they made a new phone here whats new? exept for the 65k?the new design make it new phone? they improve the phone yes in some manner but not new.my idea of new phone is a phone with many hardware features and not software upgretable the only new her its for sure the 65k screen.So what if the dimensions is a little less ? They make the phone design thinner they dont change the board inside exept for some minor changes i think they change the exterior of the phone man!!
drinker
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 23:29
What do you think of the following suggestion?

SE should allow all P800 users to bring in their phones and SE will fit a 16-bit colour screen free of charge so that they can enjoy a nicer more colourful screen like P900 users will have.

I'm sure most people would say this is a ridiculous idea because it would cost SE a fortune. However, it is no more ridiculous than expecting SE to provide a P900 firmware upgrade for the P800.

Many people just don't realise how hugely expensive it is for a company to develop software. To change just a few lines of code can cost hundreds of man-hours. SE will have strict quality assurance procedures. This means they can't just quickly hack a few lines; they need to follow formalised procedures that will include such things as risk assessment, code inspections, and numerous levels of testing. Of course, making any code change has the potential to introduce new bugs that time and money will need to be spent on to fix.

People may think writing software is easy and cheap to do because they have played around with Visual Basic on their PC at home and managed to knock up a simple program in five minutes.

For a real company writing real, complex software, it is a very expensive business.
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 23:44
Isnt 800EU enough for this? This damn phone cost almost nothing for them.With an expensive phone we demant descent upgrades if they dont like it we dont buy its simple they cant make a damn phone and after awhile make an upgrade and dont give us too the same software upgrades with an almost identical phone the liscence is already in sonys hands to use,and the phone is identical in Os and usage i dont think is so dificult to make the upgrade to p800 too.This you dont understand,The p900 isnt a new phone its a minor upgrated p800 with an 65k screen thiisnt some think new to change the codes only the damn 65k screen is the problem.You dont even know what a p800 is man how can you say the p900 is something new without knowing the p800?
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
drinker
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 23:58
My point is that if you buy a phone you don't expect to get a free hardware upgrade to the next model. Similarly, you shouldn't expect a software upgrade to the next model. A software upgrade looks like it would cost SE almost nothing to provide, but in reality it could be as expensive as providing a hardware upgrade.

What is so wrong with the P800 that you have? Is it buggy? If so, then you need bug fixes, not an upgrade to the P900. I'm sure SE will carry on implementing bug fixes.

You say the P900 is virtually the same phone as the P800, so why do you want the P900 so much? What can you do with the P900 that you can't with the P800?
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-14 00:14
Quote:

On 2003-10-13 23:58:10, drinker wrote:
My point is that if you buy a phone you don't expect to get a free hardware upgrade to the next model. Similarly, you shouldn't expect a software upgrade to the next model. A software upgrade looks like it would cost SE almost nothing to provide, but in reality it could be as expensive as providing a hardware upgrade.

What is so wrong with the P800 that you have? Is it buggy? If so, then you need bug fixes, not an upgrade to the P900. I'm sure SE will carry on implementing bug fixes.

You say the P900 is virtually the same phone as the P800, so why do you want the P900 so much? What can you do with the P900 that you can't with the P800?

Mm sorry whats so difficult to understand?I dont want the p900 i want the p800 natural upgrade,we were going to have this upgrade if they dont release the p900 with is mostly a marketing thing and not a real new phone.So we want the upgrade why sony bother to build an upgratable phone if they dont upgrade it?We dont want something stupid here we want what every manifacture gives why samsoung give this upgrade to their phones?Why sony not?I dont know if they will but i ll be very dissapoint it by them if they dont.
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
drinker
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-14 00:30
SE have never promised that the P800 will be upgradable to future models. Surely you didn't expect you would be able to upgrade your phone every year so you wouldn't have to buy a new model?

If you believe the differences between the P800 and P900 firmware are so insignificant, why are you so bothered about not being able to get the update?
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-14 00:40
Quote:

On 2003-10-14 00:30:15, drinker wrote:
SE have never promised that the P800 will be upgradable to future models. Surely you didn't expect you would be able to upgrade your phone every year so you wouldn't have to buy a new model?

If you believe the differences between the P800 and P900 firmware are so insignificant, why are you so bothered about not being able to get the update?

Man you dont seem to know nothing about marketing huh?If we dont have the upgrade its because they want to promote the p900 thats why!!And not because its a new phone i say this again to u its not. And you dont have the p800 to know as i do ,so stop it already about the future models its not a future model its a slight different p800 just for them to compete with the new 65k phone from other companies.If you think its a new phone just because they change the exterior and the screen then so be it.New phone for me means a different phone and not this!If you want to name it new phone its ok by me..The new p900 is only in the software and 65k screen if the p800 have the same software witch is very possible in the future when the p900 is out then its almost the same phone without 65k screen and minor upgrades maybe in the card reader.

[ This Message was edited by: Arfi-Gorgona on 2003-10-13 23:45 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi