Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > My PC does not detect my phone. What do I do? Here is what you can try...

12  Next
Author My PC does not detect my phone. What do I do? Here is what you can try...
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 12:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
So, you got your phone, your PC, and your cable/IR/BT. You run Image Studio or XTNDConnect, but they don't see your phone. What to do?

New: Before you go to all this trouble (I learned this the hard way), make sure that you enable only the COM port the phone is connected on in MPM. I remember I once enabled 2 ports (for testing, and MPM refused to detect the phone until I disabled one of them)

1. Make sure MPM (Mobile Phone Monitor) is installed.
- Check for existence of "Phone Monitor Options" in the Control Panel (Windows). If it's not there you will need to install it.

2. Make sure the correct COM ports are activated!
- Go in the Control Panel -> "Phone Monitor Options" -> "Com Ports" (tab). There, you will find a list of COM ports available on the computer. Choose the COM port on which your phone is connected, and press the "Enable" button.
- If you don't know which COM port the phone is connected on, you can find out as follows. If you use:
Serial Cable: Check the label on the port you plugged the cable in. It should be marked "Com 1" or "Com 2", usually PCs don't have more then 2 COM ports, so chances are it's either 1 or 2
USB Cable: Check in the device manager (Windows) which COM port is used for the serial port emulation. (Look under "ports")
Infrared: There is own applet in Control Panel for infrared. COM port used by IR is reported there. It is very often COM 2...
BlueTooth: When you open a "Serial Port" connection to the phone, the COM port used will be reported to you.
----

If MPM is installed, COM port is active, yet things don't work and you want to test your cable you can do the following:
1. Open HyperTerminal (Start->Accessories->Communication)
2. Create a new connection
3. Choose to connect using a COM port on which the cable is attached
4. Type: AT
If you get an answer, the cable is fine
If you get no answer, or you can't type anything, the connection is not working.
----

If you are still having problems, you should try shutting down other applications that might be using the COM port, thus blocking it for MPM. You can also try reserving the port for MPM using "Phone Monitor Options" (control panel, Windows)
----

Finally, if you are tired of fiddling around with the settings, or perhaps you have an old version you want to get rid of, here is what you do.

Note: Older versions of software used "Ericsson" directory, while newer ones use "Sony Ericsson". The same applies to the registery keys as well.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel), and uninstall (Sony) Ericsson Communication Suite.
2. Open command prompt.
- Windows 95/98/Millenium: Go to "Start", choose "run", type "command", press "OK"
- Windows 2000/XP: Go to "Start", choose "run", type "cmd", press "OK"
3. Type: "cd C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile Phone Monitor"
4. Type: "anubisuninst.exe /U"
5. Type "exit"
6. Go to "Program Files" (in windows explorer), and delete the entire "Sony Ericsson" folder
7. (OPTIONAL) Open registery editor (regedit), go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftware", and delete the "Sony Ericsson"and "Ericsson" keys. Note that you can do a lot of damage if you don't know what you are doing....
8. Download the newest version of Communication Suite
9. Install it, configure the ports in MPM
----

If you are using a USB cable and you are still experiencing problems, make sure you have the latest USB drivers. You may also want to uninstall the USB drivers, and install them again.
----

It appears that most people experience problems with the USB cables. USB/serial cables also don't support all the phone functionality. If you are in doubt what solution you would like for sync/connecting your phone, I would strongly recommend either IR or BlueTooth.

Downloads:
Sony Ericsson Communication Suite
MPM (Mobile Phone Monitor)

[ This Message was edited by: wrath000 on 2003-12-14 10:00 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 12:59
Another nice thread wrath000!

My only suggestion is to mention where to download MPM for those that don't use outlook or don't want to install the full communication suite... it can be downloaded from here
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 12:59
Will do, thanks

btw, do you know why the forums removes my "\" every time I edit the post?!

[ This Message was edited by: wrath000 on 2003-09-25 12:00 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 13:03
no, sorry, hadn't noticed that...

edit: oh yeah. very strange! maybe it is assumed that any \ is a filename and the person is attempting to access files on the Esato server pc? but if so then it should probably remove it as soon as you save the reply rather than when you edit... hmmm....

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2003-09-25 12:13 ]
brym!
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2003-09-28 19:09
Recently removed all SE programs and the various connceted phones on the phone monitor and reloaded the SE programs ( SE suite, Image Editor and MMS home Studio), and my T610 as the only phone on phone monitor; yet the Image Editor STILL cannot detect my phone whilst the other programs can. I use IR.
I'll give your tutorial a trial: feedback later!
chyeoh
W890 Brown
PM
Posted: 2003-10-11 16:05
masseur,
i am using P800,my question is :is it possible to extract the modem driver from the CD itself (as my ex-Nokia 3650's CD has a modem option program) and what other programs (from the CD) that i need to install for INTERNET ACCESS ONLY..Thank! and YES! i don want to install the full communication suite,Please HELP!
chyeoh@HP Mini 1001TU
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-10-11 16:16
chyeoh, you only need to install the MPM from the location mentioned in my earlier reply and if you go to the P800 global support page and click on "Drivers, scripts and patches" you can download the latest modem scripts from there rather than trying to extract them from the CD.

I'm pretty sure thats all you need.
kewl_head
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-10-12 11:57
nice thread! I did the above and still my phone cannot connect to my PC. It says "at least one of the application components could not be found or no longer responds. Exit the application & try again later. If the problem persists try to reinstall the application" So, I reinstalled the damn software 5 times. And still the same message pops-up. WinXp recognizes my phone coz it has the icon "t610 is in range" displaced at the sys tray. But the Dial Up Networking can't seem to find my phone. Arrggghhh. Some help please.

former nokia junkie :0
chyeoh
W890 Brown
PM
Posted: 2003-10-12 12:48
masseur,
i think i am understand what are you trying to tell me i.e. download and install the MPM then update the modem scripts,right?

what i am experienced was i update the modem scripts WITHOUT installing MPM...TOTALLY NOT WORKING as under add modem menu in XP i can see P800's modem...so my mistake huh
chyeoh@HP Mini 1001TU
ESTOR
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-21 18:12
Also note that for some phones, such as T300, T200, you may need to change the COM port speed to 9600 for the cable to work.
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-25 16:48
I have installed communication suite 1.5.8 (yes the one that is only supposed to work with Z600), and it works with my T610 much better then 1.5.7 did...
If I had all the answers, I wouldn't have any questions.
Answers to the most common questions on Esato forums
Jowi
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-25 20:03
maybe the mods can make this a sticky thread...
Sophos
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-01-20 11:06
First of all, sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I figured this would be better than making a new one.

I have a T306, but the darned IR device wont accept any uploads OR downloads to the phone, even though it says that "T300 is in range".
I tried all the tricks listed here, but I can't figure out in what COM port the IR is.

The little applet only says it is on an "internal port" or something.
By the way, I tried in both Windows 2000 and XP.
Till now, nada!

Hope someone can help me out!
Thanks in advance!
matti_da_best
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-09-01 18:05
hi i have recently got a pl -2303 usb data cable but.....
1. the disk that came with it is only a trial one so it doesn't work properly.
2. i tried to download nokia software for it but it is the wrong cable.
And guess where it came from... the man on ebay.
please can some one help by giving me a site to download the correct software.
thanx matt
ESTOR
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-01 22:11
if you want application software, download Float's Mobile Agent.

if you want software driver for your USB cable, go to http://tech.prolific.com.tw and make sure that you got the model number right.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi