Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > How to make e-mail work on your phone

Author How to make e-mail work on your phone
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 12:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This has been discussed before, yet the answers are incomplete and hard to find. So, here we go...

If you are looking for specific pop3 settings, you might want to take a look here.

Setting up your phone to recieve e-mail is a two step proccess. First you have to set up your phone with a data account for internet connectivity. Afterwards you have to set up the e-mail accounts.

Step 1: Setting up your phone for internet connectivity
You can use either GSM (dial-up) or GPRS for internet connectivity:
GSM: In order to use GSM you need an ordinary dial-up account with an internet provider. When using GSM you are charged for the length of the call, not for the ammount of data downloaded. Note that when using GSM you are not "always connected" as with GPRS.
GPRS: You don't need a dial-up account to use GPRS. Most operators have GPRS activated by default. When using GRPS, you are charged only for the data uploaded/downloaded. Note that most operators subdivide they GPRS service by using APNs. For different APNs different restrictions and different charges may apply. Most common APNs are 'wap', 'mms', and 'internet'

Data Accounts can be found in Menu -> Connectivity -> Data Comm -> Data accounts. Note that after creating a data account, you might have to go out, and then edit it again to be able to modify additional options.

For GSM Data you have to enter the following settings:
- Phone number
- User ID
- Password
- DNS -> optional, but strongly recommended. Needed if you are entering mail server name instead of IP address.

For GPRS:
- APN -> very important, you will most probably have to enter internet to have any chance at all to connect to the e-mail server.
- User id / Password -> you may or may not need these, check with your operator
- Allow calls -> Set to 'Automatic' to allow GPRS session to be interupted by an incoming phonecall.
DNS -> optional, but strongly recommended. Needed if you are entering mail server name instead of IP address.

Step 2: Setting up the e-mail account
- Connect using -> Choose which data account to use for e-mail. (Either a GSM dial-up, or GPRS with APN: internet)
- Protocol -> most common - POP3
- Incoming Server -> most commonly 'mail' + the part of your e-mail address after the '@' (example: if my address is wrath@domain.com, my incoming server is probably mail.domain.com)
- Incoming Port -> already set to 110 (default)
- Mailbox -> Most commonly only the part before '@' of your e-mail address. Note that you might be given a mailbox(username) that differs from your actual e-mail address. If that's the case contact your ISP.
- Password -> Remember, this is cASe SenseTIVe
- Outgoing server -> Usually exactly the same as incoming server
- Outgoing port -> already set to 25 (default)
- E-mail Address -> here you should enter your whole e-mail address
- From Name -> The name you want recipients of the message to see.

If you didn't set up the DNS server in your data account, you will have to use IP address of your mail server (for incoming & outgoing) instead of the name. To find the IP address:
Win2000/XP: run 'cmd' , type 'nslookup the_server_name'
All versions: run command, type 'ping the_server_name'

If you are using GPRS and when you are checking for e-mail it just says "Finding Server", but never finds it, chances are that:
1. You didn't enter 'internet' for the APN in your data account
2. You provider hasn't activated GPRS access to internet for your account. (If that's the case, call your provider)

Relaying, and outgoing server limitations
When you get an e-mail address from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), they will often limit the use of the Outgoing Server to their own network. This means that you have to dial-up to their network (Data Account) to be able to use their server to send e-mail. You will still be able to recieve your e-mail no matter how, or through which network you are connected. The error message you get if that's the case is "We do not relay". The only workaround is to either create a dial-up account whith your ISP settings, or use a different outgoing server.

[ This Message was edited by: wrath000 on 2003-09-24 11:56 ]
mwright
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 12:49
Great idea wrath.

Only thing I would take issue with is the outgoing smtp server.
I don't know about any other providers but with my combination (freserve email and Orange GPRS) it is not possible to use freeserve's smtp server since you are not "logged on" to freeserve. Therefore I have to use smtp.orange.net as my outgoing server.

I suspect this would be the same with many providers.

wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 12:57
@mwright:
Good point, I modified the original post to include this...
If I had all the answers, I wouldn't have any questions.
Answers to the most common questions on Esato forums
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 12:58
Another good job but I still take exception to the DNS comment. None of my data accounts for Vodafone UK, O2 germany or Telstra AUS have DNS set and I can still use the text server names rather than IP addresses of them.

I also agree with the previous comment regarding outgoing server but apart from that looks pretty good, if very generalised, but should see people through their problems.

I've bookmarked this along with Answers to the most common questions on Esato Forums (FAQ style)

EDIT: ... In which you should probably put a link to this new thread

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2003-09-24 12:05 ]
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 13:09
Regarding the DNS server:
If your mobile operator has DHCP enabled on the network, your phone will automatically get the settings it needs when connecting (including the DNS server). If that's the case, you don't need to enter anything for the DNS server, the phone will find it itself

If your mobile operator does not automatically provide you with DNS server (yes, this happens), just find one (any one) on the internet, and use it.

[EDIT]
@masseur:
I will include this in the FAQ when I get home. It's too much work to do it from here

[ This Message was edited by: wrath000 on 2003-09-24 12:11 ]
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 13:18
@wrath000
Excellent work.
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi