Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > 256mb

Author 256mb
plevyadophy
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 23:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Sage

I have to admit I am getting pretty pisssed off with this "it will. it won't" argument about the 256 and 512MB Duos.

Personally, my view is, if it is the case that the P800 can't address memory space greater than 128MB then SE are a bunch of DikkHeads; it should have been obvious that the phone should be made with the capacity to address more memory than 128MB even if the Memory Sticks weren't yet available.

I would like a 512MB Duo.

What I would be grateful for, Sage, is if when you are next at SE you make damn sure no one distracts you, and you get to have a good look at the P800 firmware that your contacts are using at SE. So you would need to report back to us on the Phone, PDA, etc etc Firmware versions.

That way we will all know for sure wether it's firmware upgrade that makes the large Duos useable in the P800 or whether it can be used now.

Thanks in advance.
lectrosoul
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-25 00:19
@mmsman
thanks
(just logged back on hence the late reply!)

good to see healthy arguments and ideas afterall is'nt this what the forum is for? not stupid answers
Thankx
P800_Zen_master
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-25 01:00
Quote:

On 2003-09-24 21:45:44, Sage wrote:
More Proof

http://www.memorystick.com/en/ms/features5.html

In ADDTION to serial transfer, Memory Stick PRO media supports parallel transfer to enable simultaneous transmission/reception of multiple data. In the parallel mode, data is transferred at speeds up to 160Mbps (theoretical value), making it possible to record DVD-quality moving images in real time*. With this high speed, Memory Stick PRO media also supports the advanced solutions that will be brought about in the coming broadband era.

* When Memory Stick PRO media is used in a product that supports parallel transfer.

Memory Stick PRO media is compatible with BOTH serial and parallel interfaces. Upon detection of the type of interface of the compatible host unit, the media automatically changes its transfer mode.

My old laptop is a serial interface and it is old. But the PRO DOES NOT WORK IN IT!! Because I have not updated teh drivers from sonys website.

The above doesnt really say much in the arguement!

Just another question. If the PRO does work why is the Jacket company say that the PRO does not work with this device?? Because if it did they would sell al lot more of them??

Really I dont care if it works or not. But I beleive on what sony has expressed to us all. It does not! All products that are made to date that supports the PRO have a little label next to the slot that states: PRO! I cant see it on the P800.
SmokinMan
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 03:48
Quote:

On 2003-09-25 01:00:35, P800_Zen_master wrote:
All products that are made to date that supports the PRO have a little label next to the slot that states: PRO! I cant see it on the P800.

Not quiet true Zen. MY Old Sony DSC F717 released back in September 2002(4 Months before the announcement of Pro and 8 Months before the first shipment of Pro) was made "Pro Ready" without any "Pro" label on it but yet already support the Pro WITHOUT the need for firmware upgrade.

The same for a bunch of other Sony stuff that was released at about the same time. All was made "Ready for Pro" SECRETLY. You have to understand that Sony is not going to reveal any of their MSPro Duo plan in advance by labelling P800 with "Pro" 6 months before the anouncement of the DuoPro

As for BLUE, Don't know what this guy is talking about:
- He thinks Jan Whitepaper is the latest.
- He think MSDuoPro is faster than MSDuo HighSpeed
- He think Sony stop production of WhiteMagicGate and sell the patent and 3 other company is going to produce the White Magic gate.
- He is sure that no one has 256 and 512MB anywhere in the world but he is ready to label anyone that say they tested the ProDuo and doesnot work as CREDIBLE.
- He feels the need to register as SE R&D to make himself credible.
- He will be the first to deny if anybody has any indication of P800 and MSDuo Pro compatibility.
- The incredible thing is that he own P800 but he is VERY HAPPY when he see someone say P800 is not compatible with DuoPro. He definately don't want his P800 to be able to use Pro
- These are the point he will never come back to defend.

Way to go Blue........................

[ This Message was edited by: SmokinMan on 2003-09-25 03:06 ]
JoaoJoao
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 04:27
Sony has released many 'Pro/pro duo ready products',but NONE support the faster transfer rates,

The first Consumer product that utilizes the faster read/write speeds will be the DSC-F828 (the 8 megapixel Cybershot camera).

all the memory stick products are backward compatible,which is something,but media in general,memory requirements, and size of devices does make it difficult to forsee developments in all of the mentioned fields.

Flash memory is used at the moment,but when the next generation of media technology is revealed, Sony will offer us another media type,it is just the way it works...

the P800 is a phone developed a few years ago now,so what do you expect?,mobile phones evolve faster than most consumer electronics-the fact that removable media is offered at all is something we should all be happy with...
Things change,lets all face it.
I would love to put a 8track cassette into my P800,but its not going to happen...(yes,this is sarcasm...)
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 07:38
Whats all the fuss with a 256MB stick? I'm using 64MB and I'm quite happy with it. I just filled it up with songs (20+) and I don't even get to listen to all of them in one session... either I get bored or my battery dies down. Imagine filling up 256MB of songs, video, apps (which you won't be using too much anyway), and games too. Your battery will just die faster. And now you guys will start complaining about the poor battery life of the p800. And don't you think the p800 will run slower on start up since it also searches all the apps in the MS... start up takes a longer time for larger memory sticks.

Well I guess some people just don't want to get left behind... just because other smart phones, PDA's and Pocket PCs can use a memory card that's 256MB or more.
Sage
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 08:16

http://www.sonyericsson.com/images/spgc/CWS31AFW_8654_27_0_1090.pdf

Page 11

memory

CURRENTLY up to 128 but will most likely increase

Again, now these people HAVE ABSOLEUTELY NO OFFICIAL statement from SE (emails are not official as some say yes and some no!).

Soyy guys but when i am testing out their products they dont let me write down anything so everything is really by memory.

Please provide a link where Brando OFFICIALLY (not in emails as they can be manipulated) EXPANSyS (who are selling them for p800) and P800er STATED (again not emailed) that they do not work!

blue8300
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 08:30
Sage..
They are talking about the MS DUO HIMSELF... not about the capacity of the P800 to read it !! like in here...
" White paper ? ok... here the latest official version (on the site from SE ...)
http://www.sonyericsson.com/downloads/P800_802_WP_R2C_EN.pdf
look page 42 ... MAXIMUM 128mb !! "
They also says MS Duo will increase in size, but no way to read it on a P800. Same text, same conclusion for me...

And just mail to Brando and P800er and ask them !! THEY BOTH TRIED IT AND NOTHING !!! Ask SE too... same answer again...

It's funny to see you fighting to prove you are right when everything goes against you...
Keep on lying and dreaming... i know it hearts you that you look completly stupid now, but faced it, you are the only one who says it works...
5 different sources says the same, and that's that it don't work !!!

[ This Message was edited by: blue8300 on 2003-09-25 07:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: blue8300 on 2003-09-25 07:42 ]
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 12:24
Quote:

On 2003-09-24 21:08:43, Sage wrote:
LOL Blue YOU FUCKING MAKE ME LAUGH!!!!!!!1

I said the LATEST one retard! Thats means March 2003 not January Uh-Duh!

http://www.sonyericsson.com/images/spgc/CWS31AFW_8654_27_0_1090.pdf

Page 11

memory

CURRENTLY up to 128 but will most likely increase
[snip]

My interpretation of this is that if a 512MB or 1GB MSDUo is made it will work.

Looking at it another way, MSDuos of >128MBs are not available at present, but memory sticks that are made with true MSDuo architecture (if made) will work, regardless of size (i.e. the P800 doesn't have memory addressing limitations).

So, forget these 512MB (2x128MB cards), I reckon when a true MSDuo of >128MB is made, it *will* work with the P800.

I've also made my mind up on the Pro issue - I believe that they don't work.

Just my 2 euros worth.....
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
anish
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 13:07

[ This Message was edited by: anish on 2003-09-25 12:09 ]
P800_Zen_master
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-25 13:12
@__spc__

I understand what you mean.

1. you are saying that the P800 can support more then 128mb - I beleive!

2. you are saying the Pro wont work - I also beleive and seen with my eyes also - I have a jacket and tested it!

3. you say if there was a stick greater then 128mb NOT PRO will work - I beleive.

But I dont think No.3 is possible because the whole idea of the PRO is that sony can not make there normal sticks bigger then 128mb! hence the 128mbX2.

But I dont mind using the normal 128mbX2 with my p800 it should work for me!
neilbcool
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-25 14:10
http://www.memorystick.org/eng/topics/produo/index.html

The Major Features of Memory Stick PRO Duo:

Offers high capacity in the Memory Stick Duo size

With high-density multi layer stacked memory chips packed in an approx. 43% reduced-size package of Memory Stick PRO, as high as 512MB capacity is offered.

Memory Stick Duo-size media that supports the Memory Stick PRO format

- High-speed data transfer

In addition to the maximum transfer rate of 160Mbps (theoretical maximum), the minimum write speed of 15Mbps* has been specified.
When this basic performance is utilized by the compliant products, recording/playback of DVD-quality moving images in real time is made possible.

- "MagicGate" copyright protection technology standard support

With the standard support "MagicGate" copyright protection technology, copyrights of various contents including music works are protected, making it possible to also support expanding varied electronic content distribution services

The Major Features of Memory Stick Duo (MagicGate/High-Speed Transfer Compatible)

High-Speed Data Transfer

The data transfer of Memory Stick Duo is made possible by the serial clock, Bus State, and three bidirectional data I/O terminals. Memory Stick Duo (MagicGate/High-Speed Transfer Compatible) supports parallel data transfer using three more lines and total four data I/O terminals at the same time, to achieve 160Mbps* (theoretical maximum) high speed data transfer.

When combined with parallel interface support compatible products.
*Read/write access speed varies depending on the products used.

Ensured Compatibility with Existing Memory Stick Compliant Products

Compatibility with widespread existing Memory Stick compliant products is maintained.
In addition, this media can be used in the same manner as Memory Stick media with a Memory Stick Duo adapter, serving as a bridge between the Memory Stick world and a new world of ultra compact devices.

"MagicGate" copyright protection technology standard support

With the standard support "MagicGate" copyright protection technology, copyrights of various contents including music works are protected, making it possible to also support expanding varied electronic content distribution services.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3923

SONY EXPANDS MEMORY STICK MEDIA LINE-UP

SAN DIEGO, August 15, 2003 - Sony today announced several advancements in the Memory Stick® media family, broadening the line-up and enhancing Memory Stick media-capable applications ranging from high-quality video content and high-resolution digital images to CD-quality audio.

New Memory Stick PRO Duo Media

At only one-third the size and half the weight of full-size Memory Stick media, Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media offers the same technologies and features of Memory Stick PRO™ media, including MagicGate™ copyright protection technology, high capacities and a theoretical maximum data transfer capability of up to 20 megabytes per second (MB/s).

The tiny media is ideal for use in small digital devices, including CELLULAR PHONES, wearable portable audio players and pocket-sized digital imaging devices. Memory Stick PRO Duo media will be available in October in capacities of 256MB and 512MB for about $125 and $300, respectively.

Memory Stick Duo Media Now with High-Speed Transfer

Meanwhile, original Memory Stick Duo media™, announced earlier this year, has hit the fast track with a theoretical maximum transfer speed of up to 20 MB/s. The transfer speed differs depending on the Memory Stick compliant device that is used.

In addition, the newly introduced Memory Stick Duo media will come equipped with MagicGate copyright protection technology for the secure transfer of digital music with MagicGate-enabled devices.

For added versatility, all Memory Stick Duo media ship with an adapter that is compatible with all devices with a full-size Memory Stick media slot.

Memory Stick Duo media will be available in the U.S. in capacities of 64MB and 128MB for about $45 and $75, respectively.

I think they are trying to tell us that it will work in our phone but its just a guess.
blue8300
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 14:14
"they are trying to say..."
and some personds did test it, without succes...

Always the same argument, same example.. but still the same results : NO, it don't work.. lolllllllllllll
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 14:18
That Pro Duo exist is NOT in dispute.

However, the bottom line is that Pro architecture DOESN'T work in the P800.

Therefore, a Pro Duo won't work in the P800 either.
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
blue8300
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-09-25 14:24
Just saw the thread of someone who tried a MS PRO 512 on his P800 (not a Duo Pro), and it didn't work either....

And please spare me of the reflection a MS Pro don't fit in a P800....
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=P800_MSEXP&asource=P800
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic