Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Help me choose, P800, T610 or something else

Author Help me choose, P800, T610 or something else
tHatDudeUK
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-22 03:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I just cancelled my T-mobile contract and am looking to get a new phone. The two which immediately stick out at me are the T610 and the P800. The things that worry me about the T610 are the quality of the screen and the ringtones starting off quiet and getting louder. Also, the lack of a nice Symbian OS (ie. remote control apps etc)....

Things that worry me about P800 are the size of it, the cost of memory stick duo, alarms not working when turned off and also the increased chance of ending up with the thing nicked. Another thing is the lack of T9 input. I also realise the P800 is getting on a little now in terms of smart phones with the Nokia 6600 looming.

I use my mobile with Bluetooth to synch my calendar and tasks with Outlook XP and this works well with my current T68i.

Any thoughts? I've spent ages looking and readin stuff and findin it hard to choose. I'm off to the phone shops tomorrow to see if the P800 really is too big for me and to look like a pratt while I hold and play with the thing for 10 minutes...
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2003-09-22 03:51
just upgraded a t68 to a T610 and it works a treat.

its the successor to the 68 and lives up to expectation in my books.
havent found any downsides yet, but i've yet to put my o2 sim in and go online.

the message alert tone is decent at last and Polyphonic rings & Camera add fun factor to the mobile experience.

not sure what you mean by the increasing ring...maybe the fact that the ring doesnt start off instantly loud? ...i've not really put the phone through its paces or experienced missing calls yet so i'll reserve judgment.

as for the P800...its far bigger than i'm prepared to carry but its very worthwhile if you need a fully functional PDA which i dont.

if you carry a Palm or Pocket PC device then the P800 is definitely worth looking at but if not then the extra bulk may just hinder you.

my dad has one and under uses it...its like buying a top spec computer to run Notepad in his case.

nowadays technology is cheap and even though everyone has access to top spec phones not everyone actually uses any of the phones potential

if you were still with T-Mobile you could have got the T610 for free on upgrade as your out of contract.

if you get a P800 get it insured, potential for something to go wrong is far higher and if you get a T610 get a case at time of purchase...it scratches easy and doesnt like the keys in your pocket....those £3 see through ones in the market will suffice.
ferrarista44
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-09-22 03:51
i was one of those who shifted from T68m to P800. and yes the P800 is bulky, but it has everything i want and need. it's a big leap from t68 to P800 as compared to t68 to t610. with P800, you can stuff it with apps that will be very useful to you... which the t610 doesnt have. size-wise, yes the P800 is big.
Ludwig
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-09-22 04:42
Dont forget p810, gonna release later this year(or early next year)

This message was posted from a T39

jamba
K700
PM
Posted: 2003-09-22 05:32
@tHatDudeUK

When asked by friends what should they buy, the T610 or the P800, I always say that it depends on what they will use it for.

Considering that you already use the T68i, a T610 is practically the same as far as features go but with significant improvements. If you are satisfied with the T68i then the T610 will not let you down. It currently has the best screen quality compared to most phones in its class. It also added a buit-in camera. But I am sure you know all these already.

The P800 is the best among the Phone-PDAs. I say Phone-PDA because it is designed as a phone with a lot of PDA functions. A PDA-Phone, on the other hand, is designed as a PDA with a phone function (i.e., Tungsten W). The trade-off, of course, is the size. The T610 is just as big as your T68i while the P800 is like a carrying a brick. If you don't mind this, then go for the P800.

The P800, of course has a lot more PDA functions as well as other phone functions that are more "customizable" compared to the T610. This is because of the Symbian OS. It also has more memory because it is assumed that you will maximize the PDA functions.

I know it's not much help because the two phones are built for its own distinct purpose. What it all boils down to is size vs. features. The larger size carries more features while the smaller size is more portable and less of a burden to carry around with.

The T9 function is not really necessary foir the P800 as you will be using a stylus to input. But I believe that similar to the PDAs, it has auto-complete function of words, that's the T9 version.

My suggestion is to you to determine first your need then decide. Again, if you are satisfied with your T68i, then the T610 won't let you down. If you want more, then go for the "brick" P800.

Cheers.
Universal Exports
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 16:14
Actually, the T610 is more desired by thieves than the P800 (at least here in sweden)
Jowi
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-23 19:27
depends on you...if you need a pda, you should get the p800. otherwise youre off w/ a t61
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi