Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 Mineral Grey Conversion Kit on EBAY

Author P800 Mineral Grey Conversion Kit on EBAY
shorty
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-31 22:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3044144550&category=42391

Damn Im tempted. Would a Sony Ericsson dealer change the casing? Im not keen on doing it myself as it invalidates the warranty.

What would you do? My finger is hovering over the "buy" button.
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-08-31 22:34
I dont think its a problem man only if you damage the phone how on earth they know if you dont have that color from the start!! and if you dont go to a verified store to put it in i guess youll be ok .
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
markmaslin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-01 01:48
Just buy it man, i done it last week and i fitted it myself, its easy you just have to be careful.

Goodluck
rickpaul
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-01 02:56
An Authorized Mechanical Service point should be able to install it for a fee.

Funny that the US ebay does not show that. I thought they were both linked.
Rick
http://www.globalmob.com
Virtual Dynamix - SE Service Point USA
haydnw
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-09-01 11:58
What tools are required to install a new case? And does anyone know of any step-by-step guides anywhere?
rickpaul
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-01 12:10
here is something I found on the web that may help
http://www.p800.it/Tutorial%20video%20montaggio.htm

When taking the phone apart:
You will need a torx 8 screwdriver, a paperclip, tweezers, and a credit card.
1. Remove the stylus, battery cover, battery, and sim card.
2. using the corner of a credit card, pry open the back bezel from the top. There is a clip on both sides of the top at about 25% and 75%. The back bezel is the part that goes around the camera on the back of the phone. Once it has been pryed open, gently remove the bottom clips.
3. using the T8 screwdriver, remove all 4 screws gently. These screws are weak and may snap.
4. In the memory slot on both sides is a clip. use something like a straightened out paperclip to push both clips open. the case should pop open on the memory stick side. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE FRAMES APART.
5. look inside the phone, and you will see an orange cable conneting both frames together, use the tweezers to pry it off the pcb. Do this gently, or you can damage the contacts.
6. once the jogdial cable has been disconnected from the pcb, you may pry apart the frame.
7. there is a ribbon on the left bottom side of the pcb. This is the LCD ribbon. use the tweezers to pull the ribbon straight off. pull on the memory stick side of the frame and remove the pcb and LCD.
8. Do not forget the speaker. it is in the front frame. there is a clip on each side of the speaker holder. Pull those clips straight out to remove the speaker holder. remove the speaker holder and rubber gasket.
9. on the back frame, you will want to pry off the camera button holder. This is a white piece of plastic. Pry on the left side, then on the right. It should come off.

Putting the phone back together:
1. replace the camera button with the silver one. and put it back together. put it in the frame.
2. put the speaker gasket, speaker, and speaker holder in the new front frame. put the power button in the new front frame as well.
3. put the LCD in the new front frame and then the pcb. Attach the ribbon cable from the LCD to the pcb.
4. On the back frame, notice that there is a stub for the jog dial cable. Attach the jog dial to that stub. If done correctly, the jog dial will automatically plug into the pcb. Also make sure the camera gasket is connected to all 3 stubs. Many times this comes out and is attached to the camera on the pcb.
5. put the two frames together. once together, push on the frame over where the jogdial connector was to ensure a good connection.
6. Gently screw in all 4 screws. Be sure to include the battery support, or your battery will be loose.
7. attach the back bezel.
8. put in the sim, battery, battery back cover...
9. Turn on the phone. make sure that everything works. Test out the jog dial. Make a call...

Mineral grey housing can be found at:
http://www.globalmob.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=30

[ This Message was edited by: rickpaul on 2003-09-01 11:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rickpaul on 2003-09-01 17:30 ]
shorty
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-01 13:02
Thanks everyone for your information

However this greeted me this morning when I checked the auction again...

The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.

Damn. Oh well.. stick to Blue unless Im ever in the US and near Virtual Dynamix
markmaslin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-01 17:57
Just order it from the states thats what i did it only took 5 days to get to me and it proberly cost me about £40 including shipping fees.
haydnw
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-09-02 10:38
@rickpaul

Thanks a lot for that - I might well consider doing it myself now!

H
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi