Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Used T610 for 3 weeks. Some disappointments...

12  Next
Author Used T610 for 3 weeks. Some disappointments...
halfmind
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-16 19:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I got T610 for it's cool good look(and I still think it is). So far it does mostly ok, but there are some lacking in usability that's really annoying. I hope that I had been missing something, and if so, someone please help me with the following:
- The contact info fields is fixed and dont have a firstname/last name field
- Cant manage contacts list by category, the whole phone book is displayed when call/view/edit contacts. I wish i can create my own category for 'Office', 'Friends', 'Taxi and Bus', etc etc.
- Call list is not separated in 'Last Outgoing', 'Last Incoming', 'Missed called'.
- Cant set speed dial to contacts. Well, heard somewhere that you can by arraging the position of your numbers? But I would still want my numbers to be arranging in aphabetical order.
- When you set an alarm, the alarm time is displayed where the date display is original at, so now the date is not displayed. Why cant they just display it on the top of the screen? or any where else?
- Cant turn off the operator name.
- Cant customize the shortcut 'wap' button for other feat.(Maybe this one is asking too much? )
- A bug, the increasing ringtones feature cant be turn off.
- T9 input no auto complete? We have to write the whole words b4 looking at the word suggestions. Meaning, after we key in 'manage', the word suggestion list won't list the word 'manager' and 'management'.
I really hope this list wont be growing as I use the phone, as I really dont want to hate it...
Most of the feat. list above is something I would have thought is a sure thing with a phone of T610's level.

tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-16 20:56
Welcome to Esato.

Eh...? This is your first /Ericsson phone, is it?

- Cant turn off the operator name.
Because that is in your SIM card.

- Cant customize the shortcut 'wap' button for other feat.
What features would you want it to take care of instead?

- A bug, the increasing ringtones feature cant be turn off.
Not a bug. It's ment to be like that.

- Call list is not separated in 'Last Outgoing', 'Last Incoming', 'Missed called'.
No, but the icons in front of the numbers/contact name indicates just that.

I agree that some "improvements" could be done but no mater how "perfect" a phone is it wont' suit everybody.

Enjoy your stay here at Esato.

The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
pezius
S700
PM
Posted: 2003-08-16 21:10
The Increasing ring is turned off on my phone... the poly's still start off low, so that people don't blow out their ear drums holding the phone up to their ear when they are previewing ringtones, etc.
halfmind
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 00:23
Hmm... Guess it wasnt' me that missed out something then. Too bad I have this A-type personality(need to customise every bits and corners to heart's desire), but seems like I just have to get use to those.

Yes, this is my first SE phone(almost got a CMD Z5 b4) , previously I am using my old Alcatel OT 701(I am anti-nokia), very good in usability and menu navigation.

For some of the problem, I did have some workaround, but still hope the future firmware can take care of them.

- Cant manage contacts list by category.
When calling a name that I know, hard press on the starting alphabet, it bring up the contact list closer to it. But then, it I had a, say, PC shop's number which I cant remember the shop name, i got no choice but scroll through the whole list.

- When you set an alarm, the alarm time is displayed where the date display is original at, so now the date is not displayed. Why cant they just display it on the top of the screen? or any where else?
Pressing the + or - button do the trick of showing the date.

- Cant customize the shortcut 'wap' button for other feat.
I was thinking about toggle silent mode or sms.. but both got other shortcut, so ok...

- Increasing ring.
Ok, point taken that it's suppose to protect our ear(or rather to protect them from expensive lawsuit). But personally I think those who hold the phone to their ears while previewing ringone deserved to have their ears blasted off... but who knows, there are always stupid ppl that like to file a law suit(like the bitch that put McDonald's coffee cup in between her thighs while driving...) .
Bitch_uk
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 02:04
Welcome to the world of Ericsson. Contacts have name, home, work, mobile, email, fax and more. How many do you want? The phonebook is just the same to find a number as my nokia, the alphabet has a clever way of forming a pattern :-). Do you have the date time and alarm time on your other phones main screen? Here is a tip, only activate your alarm when you need it daily then your date will stay. My nokia only gives a bell icon and not the set alarm time or the date so think you are expecting too much.

This message was posted from a T610

slamEVIL
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-17 03:09
just press and hold "c" to trun silent mode on and off. also just set "write new" as your first shortcut. then, when you press left on the joystick, that's what will come up.

thats two problems down.
Bitch_uk
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 04:25
What do you want to re-configure your one-touch wap button for? It was the function on the T65 that I loved. Dont tell us you want to configure the camera button and volume buttons too

zzarg
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-17 09:26
I'd love to see an option to re-key those buttons (camera and WAP)... I'd like to have cam on the right, and not use wap (I use the browser on my Clie via Bluetooth/GPRS.... a much richer experience)
The speed-dial option is a little more flexible than on a Nokia, but you pay for it.... the way of assigning numbers is sooooo painful I can't imagine bothering apart from one or two key numbers
Not being able to over-ride the defaults for the softkeys is also a bit of a pain (used to have a Nokia 3650 and a 7650)... but that maybe as I have a vodafone live cripple-ware version
www.rufan-redi.com
spike731
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 10:00
Zzarg could you please email me cloysterpeteuk@yahoo.co.uk as there's a quick question I would like to ask.

This message was posted from a T68i

Bitch_uk
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 14:13
Take the time to get to know your phone, what you can change. You obviously have some limitations, you cant alter everything. Do your homework before buying your phone and you should know whether your phone is right for you.

markgamber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 16:30
The more you know the phone, the more annoying the shortcomings become. The camera is rubbish when compared to my old T300 and it doesn't even let you use the T300's snap-on camera. Why? Some menus respond to the keypad, others don't and you can't tell the difference because, unlike the T300, they're not numbered anywhere. Apparently T-Mobile removes the Chat item from the Messaging menu. What possible reason prompted that when I, for one, actually used the T300's chat quite a bit? And speaking of half-assed, don't forget about that piss-poor implementation of java. Really, you can't tell me it wasn't de-balled on purpose to prevent serious competition to mophun. I've been writing code for a long time and know surgery when I see it, as opposed to "oops, ran out of firmware space!". Don't get me wrong, I like the T610 or I wouldn't have bothered buying one, but it certainly does have it's share of annoyances and pissing on the people who also notice them doesn't do anything for the product.
Bitch_uk
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 16:54
I dont buy a phone on the reason that it looks good. I find out if it will do what I want from a phone. Common sense, pointless buying anything that you cant use. What do you expect from a phone cam? An extra toy! Im sure many have a ?mega pix cam at hand for what price do you expect to pay for a decent cam in a phone? Get serious, cam phones are just for fun.

markgamber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 18:15
LOL....did you actually pay for a phone? Raise your expectations a bit. The T300 was $150 cheaper, it shouldn't have the better camera. It shouldn't have the easier menu system. It shouldn't have better wap options. Why can't I at least use the camera that came with the T300 and DOES take half decent pictures when compared to those from the T610? What kind of bullshit is "it's a toy"? If you paid for it, you'd at least expect it to work at well as it's cheaper cousins, let alone the competition. End of story, there are other walls to argue with.
Bitch_uk
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-08-17 20:01
Keep your shirt on! I havent had a T300 and coming from a T68i I wasnt expecting a fantastic cam. If the T300 suits you, ditch the T610. Like I said if you want brilliant photos you wouldnt really rely on a mobile cam. Nothing wrong with my pics if the lighting is ok. I am thinking of picking up the flash attachment so if anyone has tried 1 let me know opinion

slamEVIL
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-18 00:09
it's funny to hear someone comparing the t300 to the 610. it sounds to me like all you really care about is the camera. what one should get the t610 or 616 for is the superior screen guality, bluetooth, infra red, awesome calender and so forth. it seems like t-moible is the one to blame for a couple of your problems (chat and wap), not the phone itself. it sucks to hear that it annoys you so much. over here, cingular has a policy that you can return a phone for any reason within 15 days, does t-mobile? or, maybe after you get to know it a little bit it will grow on you.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi