Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Tutorial: using wap gprs to browse wap sites from pc

Author Tutorial: using wap gprs to browse wap sites from pc
judge
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 14:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I’ve been trying for a few days to use my PC/notebook to browse WAP sites. Why? Because I have free WAP GPRS and this is a way of saving money. Now I’m browsing esato without paying a dime in the comfort of a QWERTY keyboard. Since I managed to achieve my objective, I thought some of you – especially those who also have free WAP GPRS – might be interested in learning how do to it.

1. Prerequisites:
• Sony Ericsson Communication Suite, preferably pack 1.5.7 – available under http://www.sonyericsson.com/downloads/Pack1_1.5.7.exe
• WinWAP 3.1 PRO – available as shareware from http://download.winwap.org/WinWAP3P.exe
• Cable, IrDA or Bluetooth connection to your PC (the respective modem drivers for your connection type must also be installed)

2. Procedure:
• Start Sony Ericsson Phone Settings, wait for your phone to be recognized, then click OK.
• Click Dial-Up Networking Wizard, select Create a new dial-up connection, enter the name, then click Next.
• Click GPRS – General Packet Radio Services (default) and mark the checkbox Place shortcut to dial-up connection on desktop, and then click Next.
• Select the connection type you wish to use to connect – Cable, Infrared or Bluetooth. At this point you can also install the necessary modem drivers if you have not previously done so. Click Next. The wizard will then proceed to extract the GRPS accounts from your phone.
• Pay attention to the CID – this decides what connection will be used. Choosing the wrong one may lead to you being seriously charged for the service (internet and WAP tariffs differ greatly).
• On the following two pages you will be able to enter your DNS servers and username and password. I didn’t need any of these – contact your operator and ask for the details in case you have problems connecting.
• After having created the connection, install WinWAP. Go to OptionsGeneral and under Connection mode, choose Gateway mode. Then go to OptionsGateway and under Gateway IP/Hostname enter your setting (this can be retrieved from your WAP profile or by calling your operator).
• Connect using the shortcut on your desktop, then run WinWAP. Happy browsing!

Benefits:
• Low or no cost
• No errors while browsing esato (even the largest threads do not generate errors).
• Easy navigation (using mouse) and text input (via your PC keyboard).
• You can even see the smileys!

[ This Message was edited by: judge on 2003-08-11 14:54 ]
judge
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:26
Just realized that I have posted in the wrong forum. If possible, moderators please move this thread to the GPRS forum.

This message was posted from a WAP device

BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:37
I think this topic title is stopping the xhtml front forum page from loading on T300's. Someod should post out the title to stop it.

This message was posted from a T300

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:45
In fact i think it's probably the whole first post that is too big for consumption on xhtml/T300
judge
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:49
@vlam & BOSSHOGG: sorry guys - didn't mean to, but couldn't make it shorter because it is a tutorial. It works on 1.2.1 - just checked it. Let me know if you want to rename it.
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:49
I know i wouldn't be able to read the topic on xhtml, but i think that symbol in the title is causing the trouble.

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:52
@ judge.... yeah just the title so that the rest of the forum loads properly, that would be great.

Otherwise... good job!! well done
judge
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:54
any better now?
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:56
yup... loading immediately. Thanks judge!
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 15:58
Sorted:-) nice one. You're faq is also good, but i'm on a mac and i figured it all out on saturday. Thanks for fixxing it.

judge
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-11 16:03
One thing I forgot to mention - WinWAP, although an excellent program is a WAP 1.2.1 browser. I also found a 2.0 browser called wapaka, but it did not support the option ot enter your own gateway, or at least I wasn't able to find that option (didn't have the time as well, because the whole thing was done today, while mourning my T310 - it's getting checked at a service point, lots of freezes while browsing wap 2.0). So if anyone knows a good customizable wap 2.0 browser/emulator post it here. You should really try it - i can't believe I can finally see the smileys and reply instantly!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi