Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Removing vodafone, t-mobile, orange etc. tutorial!!!

12  Next
Author Removing vodafone, t-mobile, orange etc. tutorial!!!
pleber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-07 16:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok, today i finally flashed my phone. And believe it or not, its very simple.

***As Craig to the B has pointed out, doing this will void your warrenty/insurance... So if theres a SonyEricsson Service Center near you, go there and get your phone flashed for free***

******What you need;

1 x T28 Data Cable
(about £12 - http://www.logosunlimited.co.uk/ericsson_cables.htm)

1 x Credit (£15 via paypal)

[You join paypal.com if you have not already joined and send £15 to the email address webmaster@logosunlimited.co.uk. He will then email you a username and password. This is not an automated service, so if its after working hours, expect to wait till the next day for the password]

1 x SonyEricsson Server Gold v4.10 software.

[free- http://www.sonyericssonserver.com/flashing410.zip ]

1 x AVR file

[This is found at http://www.cellular-support.com. You have to register to download the file, but that only take 5 mins. Ok, this is importaint. On your phone type >*<<*<* . This will bring you into a hidden service menu. Select the first menu option (Service Info) and then select "SW Information".

This will tell you the phone firmware version. When you go to cellular-support.com you have to download the same type of firmware. Eg. If your phone is R1A081, then choose the R1A081 firmware to download. You will have a lot of different R1A081 versions, these are the different languages available. Choose the one you want and download.

****Operation;

1. Turn off phone
2. Plug the T28 cable into it (and the other end into the PC)
3. Install/Run SonyEricsson Server Gold v4.10 (Make sure your online when you do so)
4. In the program window there will be two fields, one for AVR and one for ARM files. Choose the browse option in the AVR field and search for the ARV file you downloaded.. (Its got an *.sbn extention)
5. Type in your Login and Password (The credit you paid for by PayPal)
6. Press FLASH
7. It will prompt you to turn on your phone. Hit the ON button ONCE and not for too long. The phone will not turn on, but the Flash will begin. It will take about 8 - 10 minutes to flash your phone. It will then say READY. Take you phone off the T28 Cable and thats it.

This definatly works to remove Vodafone and will work for orange, t-mobile etc. Effecively it uploads the orignal firmware into your phone.

******Make sure your phone is unlocked before you flash it - Flashing removes all Vodafone traces, but leaves your bookmarks, themes etc. (Some Vodafone bookmarks will still be around but just delete them)******

******I have just used LogosUnlimited.co.uk as an example because thats where i got mine done... but there are lots of sites that offer the service.*******

Any Questions?

[ This Message was edited by: pleber on 2003-08-07 15:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pleber on 2003-08-09 11:25 ]
Green_Lion
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-08-07 18:46
Quote:

Make sure your phone is unlocked before you flash it

Why?
pleber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-07 19:13
Because i was told it was needed. I dont know why.

[ This Message was edited by: pleber on 2003-08-07 18:14 ]
Groover
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-07 21:59
Why cant I use a newer firmware version when I flash the phone?
pensasuhr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-07 22:21
pleber,

Please can I add this to your tutorial as you still have to do the following after flashing AVR:

1: Flash GDFS using Flashing_GOLD_v410.exe with the T610_Original_GDFS_area.gdf

2: Then you have to unlock the network with Unlock_GOLD_v230.exe to obtain the codes. (the other three are already unlocked)

That is of course if everybody wants to do it properly - (ask Steve at logosunlimited to confirm this)

btw, in answer to groover.
I asked Steve above, out of curiosity, the same question today, and in reply was told that I would have to use the exact same version software for flashing or it will definitely kill my phone!

[ This Message was edited by: pensasuhr on 2003-08-07 21:32 ]
pleber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 00:14
I didnt Flash GDFS using Flashing_GOLD_v410.exe with the T610_Original_GDFS_area.gdf and my phone works great... what do u mean by it?

Is that in the second tab or somthing?
Mike Mayer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 00:56
isn't there no possibility to remove the branding, without paying for credits?
for example: I buy 1 credit and flash my phone to original firmware. maybe after 4 weeks i get problems with my t610 then i have to buy 1 credit again to put the VF-Fw back, so that i can bring my phone into service. after i get a swaped phone back, i have to buy another credit to do the originla software back.

Any ideas?
dw
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-08 09:30
When they make it possible to use this to upgrade the phone with
newer versions it will be interesting for me.
I got a simfree phone so no locks or weird customizations I just
want to be able to upgrade to latest firmware w/o having to
send the phone in and wait >4weeks to get it back.
Anyone heard if they will add that functionality soon?
pleber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 16:29
It will be possible soon. In fact it is possbile now, but you need a ARM cable... which is a specially modified cable and you can buy them yet. One somone starts making the ARM cables, the software we use now will be capable of upgrading to newer firmware.

Thats why the SE centers can do, cause they have all the right equipment.
kevacc
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 18:03
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 18:05
@dw: Don't you have any Service Center nearby? If you go to the service center it doesn't take more then an hour to get a firmware upgrade
If I had all the answers, I wouldn't have any questions.
Answers to the most common questions on Esato forums
kevacc
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 18:11
hi, pleber

Could u also describe more detail about the uulockng procedue. my question is do I need to swtichoff the phone during unlock? I've just downloaded the programme and paid for a log..just waiting the password back...
pensasuhr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-08 21:28
pleber,
tell me, does your phone have a voda or sonyericsson icon (top left menu), and does it still have voda colour theme plus some other voda live stuff still left (start screen etc) after flashing? is it still locked to a network?

dw,
how can anyone send off their phone or trust it with anyone to flash?
most of these so called technicians strip parts out of them!

my old t68i went to celestica for flash upgrade - they sent back a completely battered used phone saying that something went wrong during the flash and here is my sonyericsson approved replacement!!!
the one I sent off to celestica was less than two days old!!! - sonyericcson after a struggle sent me out another new t68i.

kevacc!!

what do you want to do ????
unlock the phone OR
get rid of the VODA s**t?????

THERE ARE TWO SEPERATE PROGRAMS one for each job.

[ This Message was edited by: pensasuhr on 2003-08-08 20:33 ]
pleber
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-09 02:31
@ kevacc
Could u also describe more detail about the uulockng procedue. my question is do I need to swtichoff the phone during unlock? I've just downloaded the programme and paid for a log..just waiting the password back...

Have you downloaded the Unlock program or the Flashing program?
You need to TAKE YOUR SIM OUT and have the phone off, when you unlock it. Unlocking it is very simple. You plug in you off sim-less phone and run the program. You hit the "Read Unlock Codes" button and turn on your phone when it says. It will then connect with the SonyEricsson Server and give you a NCK Code. You unplug your phone, then go to the "personalize" menu and (<**<) and the one that say NETWORK should have a little locked padlock beside it. You click on it and enter the code the program gave you and bingo...you phone is unlocked... just turn it off and on again.

@pensasuhr
tell me, does your phone have a voda or sonyericsson icon (top left menu), and does it still have voda colour theme plus some other voda live stuff still left (start screen etc) after flashing? is it still locked to a network?

It removes all icons, colour themes, and has the SE icon top left menu.
HOWEVER... when you click on the top left menu icon... it tries to connect u to vodafone live. There must be a way to change this..but havn't figured it out yet.

I unlocked my phone before flash (advice of paul over at cellular-support.com ) so im not sure what happens if you flash it before unlocking it. It wouldn't unlock your phone... i know that much.. you have to enter the code to unlock you phone.

Hope this helps..
(I'll add a unlocking tutorial to my top post.. If i have made any mistakes or you would like to add somthing to the tutorial, please post here..)
Craig to the B
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-08-09 03:07
Hi,

Just in case you werent aware....doing the above will definatly invalidate your phones warrenty/insurance against damages!

Also just incase you werent aware that taking your phone to a SE service centre while your phone is still in warrenty, means that you will get firmware upgrade free of charge.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi