Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > a WARNING for Live! owners

12  Next
Author a WARNING for Live! owners
jamesward
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 02:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello, I never actually introduced myself, I'm James.

Anyway, I got the voda T610 Live! (<-- I hate that '!' mark) and had it devodafoned. Anyway, the point im trying to make is that i tried to get the firmware updated at yendell communications in addlestone (cheers masseur)

BUT!!!

The computer knew that my phone was a Voda one, i tried to bluff it with the lady there, who was asking me what network i was on, was it bought in this country (UK) etc. She tried to download something from the sweedish server, but even that didnt work, so she said that she could put the voda firmware on the phone, but i have been under the impression that that would give me back all the voda icons?

Not incredibly annoying, but rather, considering the improvements made in the latest update.

Any help would be much appreciated
xenobgood
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 03:46
Yeah, I know. It's really irretating. We have an EMMA 2 installation (SonyEricsson Flash) where I work but we can't upload any other software than the Vodafone Live!. What is really interesting is that
if you upload Live! Firmware 2 a none-live! phone and then tries
2 flash it back you can't! So it's not the hardware that makes u
unable to change the firmware but the firmware that's currently
in the phone.

Quote:

On 2003-08-01 02:14:18, jamesward wrote:
Hello, I never actually introduced myself, I'm James.

Anyway, I got the voda T610 Live! (<-- I hate that '!' mark) and had it devodafoned. Anyway, the point im trying to make is that i tried to get the firmware updated at yendell communications in addlestone (cheers masseur)

BUT!!!

The computer knew that my phone was a Voda one, i tried to bluff it with the lady there, who was asking me what network i was on, was it bought in this country (UK) etc. She tried to download something from the sweedish server, but even that didnt work, so she said that she could put the voda firmware on the phone, but i have been under the impression that that would give me back all the voda icons?

Not incredibly annoying, but rather, considering the improvements made in the latest update.

Any help would be much appreciated

SimonLev
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 09:35
Hi James,

This is a guess, so I'm prepared to be shot down, but I believe the only way to get round your problem would be for you to re-flash your phone with the latest unlocked non-VodaLive firmware - in the same way you did the first time? sonyericssonserver.com now has the latest R1L firmware unlocked flashing files, so you could buy a credit (about 9 pounds sterling) from them and flash using a T28 data cable.

Was this the way you de-VodaLive'd your phone in the first place? I'm curious to know, because I'm about to use the sonyericssonserver.com flashing software myself and would be keen to here about any issues/problems/happy endings.

Thanks

Simon
senergy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 10:37
initally it seems the imei number of the phone is restricting the firmware uploading. I would say voda ordered a batch of t610's and that batch is sequentially numbered, so when your phone plugs into EMMA it knows that it was a voda live phone.
but hearing that if you flash a non voda phone with voda firmware you cant revert back to pre-voda kinda nulls that.
is it possible you could change the imei of a voda phone to a non voda phone and see if you can flash it with non voda.

[ This Message was edited by: senergy on 2003-08-01 09:42 ]
SCORPIONKING1982
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-01 12:16
@senergy

changing IMEI numbers is illegal im afraid mate!
myspace.com/scorpionking1982
jamesward
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 12:35
I wish it were as simple as me having one of the earlier stocks which were sequentially numbered, but I have a week 25 phone after having a string of W19 phones.

I had my phone done at mobilexchange, I need to go there again sometime soon anyway but I am going to France on Monday so I shall have to wait 'till I come back to update you all.

I find it ever so frustrating that Vodafone have done this, but one thing I don't understand:

You say that if I have a VODA phone...
Flashed with NORMAL software...
then
Flashed with the VODA firmware...
Then I can NEVER have NORMAL firmware back?

I guess I shall have to reflash it with the latest software which will incorporate the latest firmware, there seem to be many improvements. Still, at least my phone is very much non Voda now.

One thing I don't understand is...

When I had my T68 flashed with the 'i' firmware it changed all the icons on the desktop, why couldn't this have worked for the T610, or when I took it in, did they flash the whole software of the phone?

I might have to investigate using the t28 data cable to flash my phone, but I'll go to the shop first.

Speak to you all soon...
dw
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-01 12:47
How can it be illigal if you own the phone your self?
If I bought something legally and have papers on it
I would expect I could do whatever I wanted with it.
Fucked up law if its true.

And...couldn't one just change the IMEI and then flash the phone
with the software you want and then change the IMEI back.

[ This Message was edited by: dw on 2003-08-01 11:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dw on 2003-08-01 11:50 ]
jamesward
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 12:52
How would one (hypothetically) go about changing the IMEI?
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:19
Sshhhh! Best talk quietely about this IMEI business (I can hear the moderators coming.....)
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
jamesward
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:21
Good idea
jlsonic
W800
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:25
Changing the IMEI on any phone is illegal as it could lead to fraudulent warranty or insurance claims, and would completely defeat the government and mobile phone industry initiative to cut down mobile phone theft (which works by blacklisting stolen phone's IMEIs);-)

This message was posted from a T610

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:27
Very recent quote from Cytech:
Quote:
There will be no talk of changing IMEI on Esato. This procedure is illegal in many countries.

Aside from the fact that even if you bought the phone legally.... when u change the IMEI you could hypothetically claim your phone stolen, claim insurance money and have the old IMEI blocked. To name one reason.

Something else.... it seems ultimately strange if I come to flash my unbranded and unlocked phone, and it is flashed with Voda fw rather than non-branded fw, that that would be irreversible. Can some1 please explain that to me?
jlsonic
W800
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:27
Changing the IMEI on any phone is illegal as it could lead to fraudulent warranty or insurance claims, and would completely defeat the government and mobile phone industry initiative to cut down mobile phone theft (which works by blacklisting stolen phone's IMEIs);-)

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:29
Very recent quote from Cytech:
Quote:
There will be no talk of changing IMEI on Esato. This procedure is illegal in many countries.

Aside from the fact that even if you bought the phone legally.... when u change the IMEI you could hypothetically claim your phone stolen, claim insurance money and have the old IMEI blocked. To name one reason.

Something else.... it seems ultimately strange if I come to flash my unbranded and unlocked phone, and it is flashed with Voda fw rather than non-branded fw, that that would be irreversible. Can some1 please explain that to me?
jlsonic
W800
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 13:29

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi