Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Solved: Outlook/TimeZone Sync Issue

Author Solved: Outlook/TimeZone Sync Issue
ambanmba
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-07-27 03:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Summary:
Delete csystemdataGmtOffset.ini from your phone
(You will need to use a program like PC File Manager from www.epocware.com)

Detail:
Ever since I bought my phone in January (I have an old R1B phone) whenever I've sync'ed my phone with Outlook, the dates of the appointments in Outlook were not the same as on my phone. Yes, both the phone and the computer had the same time zone setting. Yes, both the phone and the computer had the same daylight savings time setting.

If I would do a full system reset, then Outlook would sync properly again. This means that it was not a firmware bug and not an Outlook bug. Because I didn't want to have to completely 'rebuild' my phone, I thought I would check each and every file to see if there was an incorrect configuration somehwere.

This weekend I finally had time to dig deeper into the problem. I backed up the phone and did a full system reset. I then copied all of the files on the phone to my HD. I then restored the phone and copied the files to a different directory on my HD. I then compared the two.

Lo and behlod, the file: csystemdataGmtOffset.ini was one of the files which was different. I also discovered that doing a "full system reset" does not in fact delete all the files... but that's another story for another time.

Appearantly csystemdataGmtOffset.ini does not get updated when you change your time zone.... either that or some program I have installed interferes with it.

I deleted csystemdataGmtOffset.ini and then did a sync. Sure enough, everything worked fine.

Hope this helps others... I searched on Google and this forum in vain for the solution to this problem.

Cheers,

ambanmba
|MERLIN|
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-07-27 04:38
"I also discovered that doing a "full system reset" does not in fact delete all the files..."

yes, the only way to do this is to do a format!
scroitoru
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-07-29 17:20
I would also consider c:\system\system.ini and c:\system\data\daylight.ini

Sorin [addsig]
MacL3an
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-04-07 02:30
Wow! After several hours of trying different settings this FINALLY solved my problem. Thanks!!!
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-07 02:38
Great detective work there. I will give this a go. Just a few days ago I wound up with a duplicate appointment in my phone and had to call to verify the time of the interview I set up. Very embarassing that such and expensive piece of hardware caused the confusion.

I will try removing this file.
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-04-07 11:55
Dude... all that work!

Did you ever looked at SMan?
I'm pretty sure there is "Fix Timezone" function on the menu...

[ This Message was edited by: _LAU_ on 2005-04-07 10:55 ]
kafka007
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-07 19:49
Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for a solution since sunday. Great, now it works with new appointments (only). So half the battle is won.

New appointments are shown at the right time on the PDA, the ones added before the "fix" are still one hour behind.

Is there a way to re-initialize the calendar db on the P910?

Thanks again.
confusedJohn
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-11-15 14:33
Worked for me as well using a P900. I used the file manager included in SMAN to get rid of the file.

Thanks for the help, this was driving me nuts and I could never remember when I was supposed to turn up.

[ This Message was edited by: confusedJohn on 2005-11-15 13:36 ]
praxep
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-01 11:12
Thanks a lot for useful information on P910 time synchronization with outlook. I am still facing same problem and can not delete the GmtOffset.ini file. Once i delete it, it is regenerating while synchronization. Could you please guide further on this problem? At present, I have 1 hour time difference in Outlook / P910. i.e. the meeting in outlook calender is 10AM but in P910, it is 11PM. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE guide to solve this problem... Awaiting your reply on... soni@sapin.com.sa and praxep@msn.com

On 2003-07-27 03:36:55, ambanmba wrote:
Summary:
Delete csystemdataGmtOffset.ini from your phone
(You will need to use a program like PC File Manager from http://www.epocware.com)

Detail:
Ever since I bought my phone in January (I have an old R1B phone) whenever I've sync'ed my phone with Outlook, the dates of the appointments in Outlook were not the same as on my phone. Yes, both the phone and the computer had the same time zone setting. Yes, both the phone and the computer had the same daylight savings time setting.

If I would do a full system reset, then Outlook would sync properly again. This means that it was not a firmware bug and not an Outlook bug. Because I didn't want to have to completely 'rebuild' my phone, I thought I would check each and every file to see if there was an incorrect configuration somehwere.

This weekend I finally had time to dig deeper into the problem. I backed up the phone and did a full system reset. I then copied all of the files on the phone to my HD. I then restored the phone and copied the files to a different directory on my HD. I then compared the two.

Lo and behlod, the file: csystemdataGmtOffset.ini was one of the files which was different. I also discovered that doing a "full system reset" does not in fact delete all the files... but that's another story for another time.

Appearantly csystemdataGmtOffset.ini does not get updated when you change your time zone.... either that or some program I have installed interferes with it.

I deleted csystemdataGmtOffset.ini and then did a sync. Sure enough, everything worked fine.

Hope this helps others... I searched on Google and this forum in vain for the solution to this problem.

Cheers,

ambanmba
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi