Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > SMTP Server for sending wap email???

Author SMTP Server for sending wap email???
wdeertz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-07-07 20:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've searched the forum and seen many suggestions for public smtp servers that can be used for sending emails but none have worked thus far. I've tried many of the servers recommended in this forum and when I try to send it says "server found" and then goes into "sending mail" but eventually fails. I presume this is because of an authentication problem.

My Indonesian ISP will not allow me to route outgoing emails to their smtp server unless my ip address shows that I am connected to their network. This is obviously not the case when connected via my T610.
My Indonesian operator (Telkomsel) also does not have an smtp server that I can route emails through. Thus I can check my emails with my T610 but am unable to reply. Can someone recommend a free public smtp server that I can use for routing a low volume of outgoing emails through?

If a good, reliable, free public smtp server is not available I am willing to subscribe to a service for a nominal charge (say $20/year). I've tried http://www.yourwap.com and softhome.net but both are not currently accepting new subscribers. Any suggestions appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: wdeertz on 2003-07-07 19:36 ]
warrmr
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-07-07 21:28
ok this is just a lucky guess but try this for your SMTP server mine is smtp.o2.co.uk as my WAP provider is O2-uk so try smtp.yourprovider.com or summatif not phone up your provider and they will b able to tell u

EDIT: smtp.Telkomsel.com shoudl work

[ This Message was edited by: warrmr on 2003-07-07 20:29 ]
wdeertz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 03:43
Sorry, that didn't work. My cell phone provider has advised me that they do not currently provide a smtp server for outgoing mail.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 07:31
Bit of a naff phone company if they give you GPRS and no means of sending email through their service!
phil.n
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 11:05
give mail.Telkomsel.co.id (202.155.14.251) a go.
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 15:05
' smtp.vizzavi.net ' works for me... (Thanks Phil.n )
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 15:13
I use smtp.vizzavi.co.uk myself but I guess thats the same as .net but neither of these will help the original poster whose phone company is telkomsel.

I think phil.n has come the closest but my little test (not being a telkomsel customer) suggests thats probably a pop3 server rather than an smtp server.

mind you my aussie ISP pop3 and smtp servers are the same address so you never know!
wdeertz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 16:29
Thanks for all the suggestions. Tried them all and in all instances I get "finding server, server found, sending mail....." and after a bit it comes back with "send failed". I guess I'm SOL until Telkomsel makes a smtp server available.

Are there any commercial sites that I can subscribe to that will allow smtp routing, sms forwarding, etc.? I'm not adverse to paying for a value added service provider, especially if it will meet all my needs (which includes sending outgoing emails).
phil.n
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-07-08 16:34
providers can name the servers whatever they want i.e. the btinternet mail servers are both mail.btinternet.com - It just depends on how they are configured.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi