Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P810 to be released this autumn!

Author P810 to be released this autumn!
sxt173
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-07-11 22:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Bu_7assooon...

Wi-Fi stands for Wireless Fidelity

Basically (and put very very simply), you have a antenna hooked up to your phone line or high-speed internet line... Then you have a laptop computer with a built-in modem or network card. This card would be wireless. The Laptop can then use your high-speed internet connection without wires, i.e Wi-Fi.

There are different standards to Wi-Fi such as 802.11a 802.11b or since the past month in the USA 802.11g. The most widely used is 802.11b which is about 10-11MB/sec. 802.11g promises about 58MB/sec.

Most public places in the USA, especially cities like NewYork, Boston, San Diego have "Wi-Fi HotSpots". These are just areas where someone has set up a wireless internet broadcast and anybody with a wireless (Wi-Fi) device can access. Most homes in the US now also have Wi-Fi networks, since the costs have come down so much.

Wi-Fi networks can be used in very large areas such as office buildings (most companies/universities and even highschools now do have 802.11b networks). On the other hand, BT (BlueTooth) is a "personal wireless network" with a limited range to gadgets around you.

Also, in my own experience Wi-Fi is much more flexible and needs little setup to access such networks, wheras BT does need some configuration to get devices to work.

Hope that helps - tried to keep it simple, so please people, don't criticize that I left this and that detail out
moamoa
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-07-14 02:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm not really bothered about the pics, I want to know about the Java on it! SE's Java is the worst on any mobile phone at the moment.

Will the 810 have Java MIDP2 .0? What API's will it support? Java Bluetooth, Messaging, Multimedia?

Any of you guys know this?

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic