Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Email config for Vodafone (UK) + ntlworld

Previous  12
Author Email config for Vodafone (UK) + ntlworld
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-24 20:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
And so Phil, we're back to what was the crux of my problem; it's for this reason that I resorted to BT dial up for my BT account, and so figured I needed ntl dial-up for an ntl account.

Thanks again,

Steven.
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-24 23:40
OK then - same woes, this time on the wife's T39m.

I get the error 'GPRS parameters not supported' - GPRS is enabled on the account, and I have used GPRS for wap before....

The setup is the same as for my T68i, except using the T39m option on the configurator...

Wassup?!

[ This Message was edited by: __spc__ on 2003-06-24 22:42 ]
phil.n
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-06-25 10:18
Ok, with regards to the SMTP server I dont hink you quite understand how it works. Although we have set you up with a vodafone smtp server this will not stop you from sending emails. Recipients will still see it coming from your NTL email address and they will still be able to reply to that email. We are simply re-routing the orignal email through another server.

As for your GPRS problem, are you sure you are using the same data account as the one you used to surf wap? The error sounds like the typical one you get when you try to connect to GPRS but have not had it enabled on your account.

Regards,

Phil.

[ This Message was edited by: phil.n on 2003-06-25 09:19 ]
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-25 11:59
Hi - I *am* with you on the SMTP issue. But, how about this;

The BT account is a free one, and therefore, it's 'required' by BT that a dial-in via BT number be used to access it; no dial-in after 3 months and kaboom! Closed.

The ntl account on the other hand is only available through subscription to a service - that done, I imagine that ntl isn't bothered how I access the account.

So saying, my theory here is flawed as my test mail send failed - as it did with mail.vodafone.net & 212.183.156.229. Hmmm - receive works...

As for the GPRS matter on the T39 - GPRS was enabled, but I've since changed the tariff to a lower one - maybe the GPRS got reset? (However, the GPRS bar is dark, not grey meaning the phone is GPRS-on).

Cheers,

Steven.
phil.n
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-06-25 12:07
Ah, now I see what your problem with the BT one is. As you say, the only way you can fix that is to dial in on a BT dialup but I have a better idea: email everyone you know telling them your new NTL email address. Then you dont have to worry about the BT one.

As for the 'sending failed', I just semi-guessed the smtp address for vodafone. If you have a dig/google for it then I am sure you will find the correct SMTP address.

And the GPRS, I dont know. Are you sure you are not trying to use a data APN on an account which only has access to WAP GPRS?

Regards,

Phil.
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-25 12:47
Hi Phil,

Ha ha, found it! The SMTP server needs to be 'smtp.vizzavi.net'!

On the other subject, I've confirmed with Vodafone that the T39 a/c is GPRS enabled. I'll need to go back to square-one RE: the configurator and GPRS data accounts.

Cheers,

Steven.
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-25 15:50
One last one for the mo' - this setup works for BTOpenworld too - so my theory of dialling in is shot; which makes sense too, since you access it via the WWW using LAN connections (e.g. from work).

Gonna post the details in the next thread along...
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-26 22:57
The T39m issue is still buggin' me!

I've checked all the settings, and as far as I can tell, they are the same as for my T68i.

The Vizzavi GPRS data account works for GPRS-wap

Editing the APN of the Vizzavi GPRS data account to 'internet', and setting the 'Connect using' in the email options to the edited data account just result in 'Connecting', 'GPRS parameters not supported', 'Connection failed'...

What *is* going on?

When I try and connect using the GPRS 'data' APN (wap.vodafone.co.uk), the phone searches for an age, and then gives up. I figure, for some reason, somehow, it doesn't understand the APN of 'internet', whereas the T68i does. Am I on to something here..?

I think I am - I've just set the APN to internet.vodafone.co.uk and it's tryinghard again...but failed.

So, the 'GPRS parameters not supported' error arises from an incorect APN DNS. For 'internet', what's the correct/full DNS?

Cheers,

Steven.

Right - I'm seriously om the case now!

'Been to 'http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html' and there's good info, very good info, but b*gg*r me if it still doesn't work....!

Steven :;-(:

[ This Message was edited by: __spc__ on 2003-06-26 22:11 ]
dave1000
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-06-28 09:30
Have you tried swapping the SIMS between your phones? You can at least then check that it is not a problem with your account.
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-28 09:39
I haven't tried that yet. But why should it work; all the settings are phone- not SIM-specific; i'd just be using the T39's SIM in the T68i to use the settings in the T68i...

Steven.
dave1000
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-06-29 09:17
My thought was to verify that the service provider had set up the account correctly. You know the settings in the T68i work so that would be a good test.
__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-29 09:35
Fair point - but the only thing the SP has to do is enable GPRS; wap works on GPRS so the problem must lie in the configuration. TH econfiguration is the same as that for the T68i....

The wife never uses the T39 for email so I don't even know why I'm bothering!

Steven.
Snowdon User
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-07-31 22:02
Best thing to do is use the sony ericsson configurator on the website, it sends you two messages and once done mine worked straight away. Better than messing with the settings yourself only to find "Finding Server" displayed forever and a day.

__spc__
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-07-31 22:16
@Snowdon user

Thanks for this; tho' I've now long since sorted it all. Even now moved to a P800 and got that working a treat too! The Configurator gave mixed results with BTopenworld, and didn't provide any options for when I moved to ntlworld - hence the manual config.

The main issue when accessing freeserve/BTOpenworld accounts etc. is that they will allow you to use their POP3 server, but not their SMTP (outgoing) server (since you're not dialing them up and thus paying your way, as it were): the crux being to use an SMTP server provided by your service provider (e.g. for Vodafone GPRS - smtp.vizzavi.net/co.uk).

Anyhow, all cool and dandy!

Cheers,

Steven.
This message was NOT posted from my P800 that I no longer have
dave1000
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-02 11:24
Quote:

On 2003-07-31 22:16:32, __spc__ wrote:
The main issue when accessing freeserve/BTOpenworld accounts etc. is that they will allow you to use their POP3 server, but not their SMTP (outgoing) server (since you're not dialing them up and thus paying your way, as it were): the crux being to use an SMTP server provided by your service provider (e.g. for Vodafone GPRS - smtp.vizzavi.net/co.uk).

The real reason they do not let you use their SMTP server unless you have connected through their service is to prevent spammers from using it. The other way they can protect themselves is to use authentication on the SMTP server which can cause problems for some email clients.

Using the Vodafone network SMTP server is a good solution but it will fail if ever you need to connect the phone through a non Vodafone dial up account, such as Freeserve etc.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi