Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > T610 has an edge on Nokia 3650?

Author T610 has an edge on Nokia 3650?
janahan
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-06-27 10:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have already mentioned MIDI playback before on this site.

All Symbian phones (P800 3650 7650) use the beatnik engine to play MIDI. Its s software based engine, and theoretically can play 16/24/32/64 poly, but is currently throttled to 16 channels for the best compromise betweeen processor usage, quality.

The Symbian phones use a Patch set to determine quality of the MIDI playback, and can be "upgraded via downloading a new patch". However better quality patch means longer start time for midi, andmore memroy space... so again compromises were made. The P800 has the worst patch set, followed byt he Nokias. However, with better patches these phones sound better, with the penalty of a delay in loading the patches before playback....

The T300/T310/T610 have a dedicated hardware MIDI synthesis with a profession patch set, which cannot be "upgraded". However, it is by far the best playback of all phones i have had the pleasure to hold in my hand. even my T300 walks all over my P800 in defaults when playing MIDI. Wth the larger patch set, the P800 comes close, but cannot match the T300 still. The T610 would totally destroy the Symbian phones...

Quality has more to do with number of channels, and patch set. it matters how the hardware is built...

WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER COMPARE A FORD 2.5 Litre ENGINE WITH A MERCEDES 2.5 Litre engine!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi