Esato

Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > Esato Forum Search function, changes needed.

Author Esato Forum Search function, changes needed.
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-05-14 18:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi guys,

This post is mostly for this forum's administrators/webmasters/webdevelopers, i just want to have a feedback of how bad the changes i'm about to suggest are needed.

I know that you guys don't live for/from this site, you surely have your own professional occupation but you have to work this out.
The problem is i've encoutered 10 zillion times the following statement "Do a search before you post something" followed by the post "I did, and it showed me a million threads so i couldn't find what i was looking for."

I don't know how the forum code works, but surely this can be done. Suppose i want to search for "a b c".
The results should be a union (a SQL union that is) of
"a and b and c" + "a and b" + "a and c" + "b and c"
and not "a or b or c"

Don't you agree with me? This would make the search results more accurate, i suppose, and people would find what they are looking for.

Sorry "WAPpers" for the long post

[ This Message was edited by: krubach on 2003-05-14 19:12 ]
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-14 18:21
I totally agree with u.i thought it would b a prob with the search but cuz i never use i didnt post anything about it.i agree smtng has to b changed.

This message was posted from a WAP device

laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 01:13
Thanks for the suggestion. The search engine could be better, but I'm not an expert on building search engines.

and not "a or b or c"

For a start, the forum search engine does not work exatly like you wrote. The order of the post when searching using "order by relevance" is not done by using a "a and b and c" sql statement.

If you search for the word "modems", the search engine rank posts with only a couple of words higher than posts where "modems" are one of hundred words. I.e. a posts where someone only write the word "modem", and nothing else will be on the top of the result list.

The most common word in the database is t68i. You'll find this word in 53600 posts. I know that many people search for "t300", "p800" etc. but it's no easy to serve the correct result when the search terms are included in most of the posts in this forum.
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2003-05-21 20:41
OK laffen,

I didn't know what was the search engine algorithm.

I was thinking of something like searching in Google groups, you know. ( http://groups.google.com )
The search result is ordered, among other rules, by the post which has the most of the words you specified.

Oh well, i'll just avoid putting the word "t68i" when searching . [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi