K750
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 02:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://mobile.bpit.ch/index.php?act=ST&f=19&t=1623

The user review is in french !

Somewhat hacked translation:

================================

Announced at the last show of Cannes at the beginning of year, Sony Ericsson T610 is presented as being the worthy successor of Sony Ericsson T68i. It represents also the top-of-the-range model of the joint venture, above the model T310 (successor of T300). I specify that T610 is not marketed yet in France, and that it will be it starting from semi-end June 2003 at the price of approximately 500 euros. My T610 is thus a version "importation", of Dubaï, bought at Worldgsm with the French menus. It should be noted that contrary to Nokia and other marks, Sony Ericsson have a true international guarantee allowing an assumption of responsibility of the SAV in France, even if the model comes from Asia or the Arab Emirates Unis.

- Discovered box: traditional in Sony Ericsson, like T68i, T300 or P800, with the colors of the mark with the representative logo: the green and white ball. The kit is composed of T610, the battery, the charger, the notes (one in English, one in Arabic), of CD of installation, a gray rag signed "Sony Ericsson" (to wipe the finger marks) and of a small adapter to be fixed behind as a mirror.

- Discovered of T610: first of all, insertion of chart SIM, then of the battery. The latter is of last generation, the same form as P800.

Once the fixed battery, a great fear: any bulge much, there is a significant play between the compartment of the telephone and the battery! Fortunately, the installation of the back valve, to make slip into a kind of "rail", fixes the whole very firmly.

First impression: the quality of manufacture, excellent! Sincerely, it is astonishing, for a mobile which will be sold with the same price as of Nokia current very out of plastic, and with the doubtful completion.

The materials employed are of all beauties: for the black part, plastic which seems very robust and thick. Surface really makes think of the pens of the mark "Mount Blanc". A large defect all the same: this matter leaves obligatorily finger marks, and attracts much dust! To raise your borrow digital, it is perfect! As well on the black part, on the screen. Dust as adheres in a few seconds, it is at this time there as one includes/understands the choice of Sony Ericsson to provide in the pack a small rag (like formerly on Nokia 8810). In the medium of the black part behind the mobile, above the objective of the camera, the logo of Sony Ericsson in relief, just like the hull postpones of Sony Ericsson P800. The gray part of the mobile, color "aluminum" (also exists in blue or red) is... really of aluminium! We had not seen that since Nokia 8850 and 8890 (at a price much higher for the latter)! It cold with is touched, very class, robust, with an exemplary completion, to make redden competition! Ca changes mobiles entirely into plastic! - measurements of the mobile are astonishing also, because while being stuffed of technology, this T610 succeeds in keeping acceptable measurements: 95 grams (92 for Nokia 7250), 10 cm height (10,5 for the 7250), 4,4 cm of width (in the same way for the high part of the 7250) and almost 2 cm thickness (in the same way for the 7250).

- the keys of the keyboard are very pleasant and do not squeak and move at all, there too the excellent completion is confirmed. The joystick is more pleasant, and makes it possible to move in the menus, to validate, really to do everything, as with T68i. A blow towards the left for a direct access to the profiles, towards the left for the menu, upwards for navigator WAP and downwards for the contacts. A small diode in the medium of the joystick ignites in red during the load, Sony Ericsson thought of all for the "detail which kills".

Retro-lighting is very satisfactory and to make honor in excellent T68i.

The 2 gray keys on the left side of T610 are mainly used to regulate volume, and that in black to above engage the numerical camera

The key on the right side gives access to navigator WAP.

It should be noted that these keys are not paramétrables/personnalisables. The 2 black keys, just below the screen, have different functions according to the taken action and menu where you are, the LEFT ARROW key to return below behind, and that of right-hand side "C" to erase. The key for allumer/éteindre T610 is all in top, at the top of the mobile as on Nokia. A first in any case for Sony Ericsson!

- the lighting of the mobile: animation is the same one as on P800, namely the logo of Sony Ericsson which changes form and color, while passing by the green, orange or the red

And there, it is the shock: a screen 65 536 colors STN of any beauty! By way of comparison, I find that it is more beautiful than Panasonic GD87, even more than the SPV, or Samsung S100, S300 or V200. It is more Net, end, luminous, the colors are reproduced with wonder!

The size of the screen is very significant taking into account the general size of the mobile: 128 X 160 pixels, 3 cm of width for 3,8 cm height (that of Nokia 6800 fact 3,3 out of 3,3 cm, that of Nokia 7250 2,9 out of 2,9 cm and that of Nokia 3650/7650 3,6 out of 4,3 cm).

On the screen, all in top on the left the network, with the small blue triangle like T68i and P800 for network GPRS, in top on the right the level of the battery, the hour all in bottom on the left and dates it on the right all in bottom. Concerning the menus, accustomed mark Sony Ericsson will not have any evil to be found there and even on the level of the logos of the menus, all is (almost) similar to T68i. To begin the description of the menus: Support on the center of the joystick or a blow of joystick towards the line to have access to the menu, which breaks up in the following way:

- Sony Ericsson: c?est a navigator WAP. The page d?accueil, nonmodifiable, is used to s?identifier in so much qu?utilisator of T610 at Sony Ericsson. Can also be used as traditional navigator WAP. This menu will not n?existera on the European versions, because normally this emplacement/icône should be reserved for the services of l?operator, according to the French note

- Services Internet: c?est navigator WAP 2.0. There too, one arrives by defect on a page of Sony Ericsson, with (Google), a handbook search engine on line, remote loading of the parameters and gallery d?images. The right key under l?écran gives access to the usual options during a navigation WAP. It should be noted that this page "Sony Ericsson" remains by defect, even while trying to put on d?accueil page the gate d?Orange. However, the short cut of this same navigator, via the key on the right side, with good recorded my Orange d?accueil page. I n?ai not d?explication with that, I think that the European version will not n?aura this specificity.

As on other Sony Ericsson, one can send by SMS, Bluetooth or IR the bond d?une page WAP on a compatible mobile. Navigation thanks to the joystick is really pleasant, c?est a pleasure of surfer with such a screen! A small green ball of the Earth in top on the left of l?écran is present during connection GPRS. - Short cuts: c?est exactly the same principle as other Sony Ericsson: one can choose short cuts in l?ordre that l?on wishes, of the functions that l?on prefer. This avoids seeking them in all the menus, and that makes it possible to d?avoir those qu?on uses more in only one finely.

- Camera (352 X 288 pixels): take action pursuant access so that sees l?objectif. I specify that this last is well protected because it is in a recess. To clean it, I do not see qu?une only solution: cotton stem! It was the same with P800. Once l?appareil on the way, one can benefit fully from the splendid screen. The reproduction of l?objectif on l?écran is fabulous, of the same level as Panasonic GD87, which is a reference on the matter. By moving the telephone quickly (not too all the same!), no the visible trail on l?écran either, c?est there too of the same level as Panasonic GD87.

At the time d?une taken photograph, one hears small "a clic" very discrete, according to the mode in which you are, but all can be quiet too. One can take the photograph either by a support on the black key on the left side of T610 (to also light photo l?appareil), or by "capturing" left key under l?écran, or by a support on the center of the joystick. While photo l?appareil is on the way, the right key under l?écran makes it possible to d?avoir access to various very appreciable options, and approaching there too the GD87: to post the images (to open l?album), size (broad 288x352 or small 120x160), mode harms (to be activated or not, the small moon s?affiche then in top on the left of l?écran), effects (black and white, negative or sepia), name by defect (for the name given to the photographs) and retarder (10 seconds).

Too bad: it n?y does not have a zoom! Do Samsung V200, Panasonic GD87 or Sagem X6 mark a good point here? Another small negative point: once the photo catch, l?image is quite fixed instantaneously but a sand glass arrives of continuation, and 2 to 3 seconds s?écoulent to have finally access to the options: you can or l?effacer, or l?envoyer (touches left under l?écran) directly by MMS, to put it in bottom d?écran, or l?enregistrer in l?album (if not, the catch d?une new photograph records the preceding one automatically).

A very negative point: only 2 MO of memory! C?est really too little, especially compared with the 7 MO on Nokia 7250. A "broad" photograph makes on average 40 to 60 KB, and in "small" from 30 to 40 KB.

- Messages: gather functions SMS, MMS, voice messaging, e-mail, discussion (= cat), WAP push (reception of bonds WAP via SMS for example), Infos Zone and Options.

- Repertory: there too, all is almost similar to T68i. The presence of the function "fotocall" is a reality more, and makes it possible to see the photograph of its darling when it telephones to you. 510 sites for the internal storage, with like fields the name, first name, numbers residence, office, mobile, fax, other, e-mail, title and company. Not d?emplacement addresses Web or addresses postal? damage, it n?y did not have d?évolution compared with T68i.

A function presents on the last Ericsson and all Sony Ericsson that j?apprécie enormously: the d?envoyer possibility and to receive all the contacts d?un only blow, by Bluetooth or infra-red port. Since my iPAQ 5450, hardly put j?ai 2 minutes to transfer by Bluetooth 505 contacts! So that that functions, the 2 apparatuses (mobile or PDA) must have this function. I know only Sony Ericsson which does it in mobile telephony. Nothing again in this menu, any remainder similar to T68i. A blow of joystick to the bottom gives also access to the contacts. - Calls: allows to manage l?ensemble calls, namely the consultation of the missed calls, the list of the incoming calls and outgoing, the references, double call, filtering, usual restrictions and meters voice, GPRS and SMS.

- Connections: gather the service of l?operator, Bluetooth, l?activation of the infra-red port, all the parameter settings of accounts Internet (WAP and MMS), parameters of navigator WAP 2.0, remote synchronization (SyncML and XTNDConnect PC), the management of network GSM (research) and an Accessoires menu.

Nothing to announce the specific one in this menu, all is similar also in T68i. Bluetooth is always a true treat as well for dated from the vocal one: no problem for twinning with l?iPAQ H5450, l?échange of data (contacts, photographs, notes diary), and l?utilisation of l?oreillette Nokia Hdw-2.

To note: the manual parameter setting of WAP (GSM and GPRS) and of MMS (GSM and GPRS) is with my direction always so complicated. Admittedly, the OTA allow all to parameterize automatically. But I find significant to know to do it manually, and I must say qu?en comparison to Nokia, Sony Ericsson are really not simple and logical. For information, c?est exactly similar that on T68i, with accounts WAP and dated. - Organiseur: includes/understands l?agenda, the memos, alarms, the minutor, the stop watches, the computer and l?aide memory.

- Adjustments: allows to personalize T610 completely. To know on the level of the sounds and alarms (sounds, volume, vibrator, alerts messages, sounds of the keys), of l?affichage (bottom d?écran, saver d?écran, topics, lighting, contrast), of the 8 profiles (as on T68i), the language of the telephone, vocal control, the date, l?heure, the bolts and the handing-over with 0 (Réinitialiser).

In this menu, there too, not d?évolution compared with T68i, which itself did not n?était very different from old Ericsson. - Concerning the autonomy of T610, I held less than 24 hours, but I n?ai ceased d?être above, with many connections GPRS (what discharges the battery quickly) and Bluetooth. But a thing is certain: l?autonomy very good for a screen of 65 536 colors, is especially compared with the SPV, Panasonic GD87 or Samsung (S100 and S300) that j?ai been able to have and with which I did not hold qu?un only day. My T610 is new, and the battery thus does not have yet its "rate/rhythm of cruising". It should be noted that the battery is a Li-Po 750 mAh. In theory, T610 is given for 315 hours in day before and 120 hours during use, with a time of 4 hours load. - network hangs has the same defect as T68i and P800 of the same mark. C?est with saying bars of networks which do not cease dancing, to move, passing from the red with only one bar to the maximum with all the green bars. But I note that like the other models, even while being in "the red", I am completely joignable. - Speed of the software: very correct overall, faster qu?un T68i with version of recent software, sometimes one can have the sand glass during 1 or 2 second very correct maximum, but c?est. C?est almost so fast qu?un Nokia color (7210, 6610, 6100, 7250, 6800, 8910i?). My version of software is the R1A 081.

- Quality of listening: very good, c?est of the same level as Nokia or Sony Ericsson. However, it n?y does not have a loudspeaker, c?est really very damage. - general Quality: really, j?insist for saying that the quality of manufacture is excellent. To compare with the range Premium de Nokia, namely the last-born child 8910i, so much this T610 is manufactured in robust and pleasant materials (aluminium). On the other hand, I find damage that all the black part out of plastic and l?écran are also sensitive to the grease of the hands and the face, from borrow digital and with dust (especially the loudspeaker and the hollow of the joystick).

In a sentence, to conclude: this T610 is with my direction the worthy successor of T68i, of share the functions qu?il takes again this one and of its positioning price. Admittedly, l?ensemble of the menus n?a evolved/moved at all, but l?écran 65 536 colors, photo l?appareil numerical integrated, the high quality of the completion and manufacture, polyphonic ringings, Java? really show that we deal with mobile able to compete with n?importe which mark aujourd?hui. Moreover, which mobile aujourd?hui on the market, with same measurements, can post a list of functionalities comparable with T610? This mobile with all, really all and aujourd?hui taking into account competition, I l?ai found really almost perfect.

Conclusion: Points +: - screen 65 536 colors. - integrated numerical camera. - look, exclusive design. - quality of manufacture. - catch in very pleasant hand on the level of materials used. - customer mall. - possibility of reading and of sending several pages for the MMS. - Java. - Bluetooth. - tri-bands. - precise joystick. - posting of photographs for the "contacts", therefore the function "photocall". - autonomy. - navigator WAP in version 2.0. - ease of use. - polyphonic ringings. - Music DJ (composition of melodies MIDDAY) - function "to send all" for the repertory. Points -: - only 2 MO of dynamic storage. - plastic black part and screen very sensitive to the finger marks and dust. - not the possibility of putting parts been enclosing in e-mail. - customer mall limited on 3 skeletal accounts. - not of PJ in reception on the customer mall. - not of zoom for photo l?appareil numerical. - sensitivity network. - not of integrated loudspeaker. - not-simplicity of the parameter setting of the WAP and MMS. - impossibility of decontaminating l?horloge out of screen of day before. - not of adjustments for l?écran of day before for temporization. - not of radio operator integrated Stereo FM. - not d?emplacement "addresses" in the repertory. Import price: between 600 and 750 euros. Price in France at the end of June 2003: 500 euros. Do not forget that Mobile.bpit.ch is partner of Worldgsm and that we make it possible to our members to obtain a reduction on the selling price of T610.
caff
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 03:14
Its pretty cool that there's a red led on joystick when charging. How about if there's a blue led on joystick if bluetooth turn on ? I believe there's no green network status led on joystick.......but not sure if battery fully charged, whether it will show green led??? Any T610 users can answer this please !!
Dj Boyi
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 03:19
Well that took me fookin ages to read! On WAP! Well worth it tho:-D Thanks for the info mate:-)cheers!

This message was posted from a T68i

jalu
W550 red
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 03:31
Argh. LEDs and moisture from hands don't mix, I was always told :-/

Jalu, liking his lights at the top
mkt
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 03:55
@Caff: from what i read on some review green status LED blinks, altough there was said the light is soft and barely noticable. So i guess it behaves exactly like in t68i. I think there's no led for BT (it wasn't mentioned anywhere).
KasaR
T68i
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 08:38
damn! no bluetooth LED? can anyone confirm this? the bluetooth LED looked so nice on the t68i!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 09:35
why do you need a blue light? its a bit of a gimmick really and I assume it draws power.

I have bluetooth on all the time on my T68i and P800 so already know that bluetooth is ON.

At the very least you need only look at the screen to confirm bluetooth status.
KasaR
T68i
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 10:03
LED's draw VERY little power.

yeah i know its a gimmick, but it looks cool
jonbob.com
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-09 10:31
Has best effect in the cinema (ie dark) get your phone out:

Green, blue, green, blue... Mesmerising.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 10:44
must be crap movies you go to see if you need to get your phone out to be entertained by flashing coloured lights!

Da_WiZ
Z1010
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-09 11:45
Does anyone know if it's possible to customize the sms alert on T610??
M.Noordin
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 12:00
thanx for the information bout the T610 i guess i dont have to think which fon i should take now except fot the T610 cant wait for it.
Oceanlee
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 12:07
Cheers Caff.
Can't wait to get my hands on one. Sounds like there was no hissing after all. Still need to find someway of transferring data to and from a pc though. Does anyone know when the USB ver 2 standard came out, I think the computer I'm using is from '97
steptronic
T300
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 12:58
Da_WiZ: u can choose a selection of 8-10 sms tones thats abt all
petawer
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-05-09 14:40

incredible review very cool t610!!!!