Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > battery charge times??

123  Next
Author battery charge times??
Chivalry
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 16:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hiyas all.. i was wondring.. i just sent back a t68 on the one2one network,, and in the manual it says charge phone for 4 hours on first charge...
now i just got a new t68 on orange.. and it says i gotta charge it for 16 hours firsat charge!!! surely they have gotta be the same phone? with same bettery and charger??... why 1 says 4 and other says 16??? hurry up,, i wanna use me phone! lol
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 16:34
You can charge it for 4 hours if you really want to use your phone, actaully I think that you can charge it until its completly charged. Than you can charge it longer overnight.
The batteries used on T68 are made of Li-Pol and are not built like the old Ni-Cd that builded up sort of a memory, if you charged it to often without having the battery clompletly empty, you decreased the stand by and talktime on the phone.
But thats not a problem with new Lithium batteries!

[ This Message was edited by: mrNoodles on 2002-03-09 16:34 ]
sparkz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 16:43
i think its a misprint... all batteries, no matter what they are made of need to be run in....

the 16 hour first charge is ment to fully charge the battry, the battery them remembers how much power is in a fully charged battery.

and hence after a few charges you can charge it anything you feel like, as the battery knows how much power it can store, and how much its got in.

the older battries and the ones on budget phones dont have this abbility.

sparkz
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 16:48
Im quiet sure that there is no such thing as a "memory" in the newer ones!!

With old Ni-Cd yes but not with newer ones such as Li-Pol.
But this is my thoughts about this matter!

[ This Message was edited by: mrNoodles on 2002-03-09 16:49 ]
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 16:50
I've been meaning to ask, is it safe for us to charge our battery overnight everynight?
I mean, I charge my battery overnight, use it the whole day and then charge it again overnight for the next day's use. Is that safe or should I just use the battery till it's almost out and then recharge? [addsig]
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 16:54
>>Ior
My opinion is that you can charge it whenever you wants to.
Its good to turn off the phones once in a while, because the phones needs to be "reset"- just turn it off wait a few seconds then turn it on.
If you has a computer on for a very long time it can get slow and start acting a bit weird.
Chivalry
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:10
so u sayin all those ppl with one2one T68`s have knackerd batteries now cause the intructions says 4 hours for =first charge..?
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:15
>>Chivalry
No I dont believe theres no need to worry. The batteries will sure not be "worn out" any earlier then the ones charged 16h or even more!!
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:19
Well, that's good news then. Charging it every night is convenient for me. But sometimes, I let it run for a couple of days before recharging the battery.

It isn't that bad, I can keep it without recharging for bout 3-4 days [and i do make a lot of calls] [addsig]
Linkinpark17UK
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:20
Has anyone notice that the battery recharge time is getting quicker but the standby time is slightly worse each time. Is this a problem with all rechargable batteries?

lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:25
I really have no answer for that, the standby time and the talk time change everytime I do something on the phone. One minute it's low, the next minute it's higher than before, and at times it just drops.

lol, weird or what? [addsig]
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:27
Quote:

On 2002-03-09 17:20, Linkinpark17UK wrote:
Has anyone notice that the battery recharge time is getting quicker but the standby time is slightly worse each time. Is this a problem with all rechargable batteries?

Nopes never noticed anything like that.
I must say that I think my talktime has been increased since upgrading to R2B
sparkz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 17:45
As far as I know, when the phones are made and that the battery is charged and discarded several time, they are shipped discharged(or with very little power), as along time ago it was decided that shipping charged batteries was dangerous.

They recommend that the battery is charged for 16 hours… as the phone could have been in storage for a long time, and hence would need a all charge.

By their nature a battery will not last forever… Treat it well and it will last you a lot longer...

The new batteries are really good, and can take a heavy beating before they begin to deteriorate. So no mate charging your battery for 4 hours the first time will do very little damage.

As for as I am aware all batteries, have an improve time, this a time, were the performance increases and the batt lasts longer and longer, that’s why its good to treat a new bat well, then the performance steadies off…and eventually starts to deteriorate, and hence time to buy another… but by then u will probably have a phone that’s capable of making you coffee and toast in the morning…(maybe I will send that in as a suggestion to Sony Erric)

As for charging it overnight, that used to be a real big problem with phones, I have been doing it for ages and had no probs on newer phones/ batts, im guessing that that the phones software or the batt can deal with overcharging. So personally I don’t think its bat….. but honestly haven’t really got a clue.

sparkz
sparkz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 18:12
lor, i get that 2,

from what i notised the time, i seem to get higher times in better repeption areas, while in low coverage areas- it drops right down.

i just put it down to the phone needing more power to lower coverage areas.

maybe mr. noodles can shead some light on this one, as i would really like to know why this really happens.

sparkz
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-09 18:29
Quote:

On 2002-03-09 18:12, sparkz wrote:
lor, i get that 2,

from what i notised the time, i seem to get higher times in better repeption areas, while in low coverage areas- it drops right down.

i just put it down to the phone needing more power to lower coverage areas.

maybe mr. noodles can shead some light on this one, as i would really like to know why this really happens.

sparkz

You are exactly right with that on "bad reception" areas the "battery-meter" decreases.
It works as an ordinary amplifer, the higher you wants to play ther more power it needs.
If you are close to an RBS (RadioBaseStation) the RBS ask youre phone to decrease the amplifying(signal rate), and the same if it is a long way from an RBS but instead of decreasing the phone is told to increase the amplifying so it can be "heard" by the RBS.
It happens that phone goes "insane" and "drownes" other phones because of the amplifying control thing gets broken and the phones is on "full amp."
So if you live in or very close to an RBS your standby time will be better.
But who knows what might happen to your health!

[ This Message was edited by: mrNoodles on 2002-03-09 19:09 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi