12  Next
Author Vodafone GPRS woes
nirvana123
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-22 11:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
ok, here is a tough one!

I have my P800 and have connected to GPRS with an Orange SIM using the SonyEricsson site configurator. The internet browser, Opera browser and email over GPRS all work fine. The Orange settings appear to do no more than put 'orangeinternet' in as an APN on the profile.

Do the same with Vodafone and I can only access 'WAP' content on the internal internet browser. GPRS access to POP mail does not work and neither does the Opera browser. Curiously though the opera browser then works through my PC when cradled...

Anyone else had problems with Vodafone GPRS access as the Orange GPRS seems great! I have, of course, spoken to Vodafone on numerous occassions only to get 20 different answers, none of which help!!!

Thanks in advance...

Mark
Coramoor
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-22 12:10
You probably have to set your phone up for internet gprs.. not wap gprs.
Check vodafone website or call them.
Perhaps you need an internet subscription...
luxuryboy
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 15:44
I had these problems initially with Vodafone GPRS. I got them working by using the WAP, Mail, and MMS configurators at http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?template=SP1&B=ie&PID=9940&LM=SIM_V&noredir=1

I found mail needs to use a messaging account based on the 'Vodafone GPRS WEB' internet account (APN: internet; user: web; password: web) and the builtin browser needs a WAP account based on the 'Vodafone GPRS WAP' internet account (APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk; user: user@vodafone.net; password: user).

For some reason, I can only get Opera to work with the 'Vodafone GPRS WEB' account and not with the WAP one.

Anyway, hope that is some use.
Andy_P
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 15:58
Because Opera will only work with an internet gateway, not a WAP one.

I have posted this in loads of forums to make it easy for others to search as I have had loads of problems myself.

Still haven't found a way around having two profiles tho - one for internet gprs and another for voda live! so I can send MMS's.
Nemisis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 16:18
I'm having a similar problem getting Opera to work on Vodafone. I know Opera needs to go through a 'web' portal and not a 'wap' portal but when I display my GPRS DATA LOG dialogue I only have 'Vodafone GPRS WAP' and 'Vodafone GPRS MMS'. A friend of mine has Opera working on his P800 and he has 'Vodafone GPRS WEB' in his log. Also in my Internet/preferences dialogue under Wap account I have only MMS Vodafone and WAP Vodafone.

Any ideas what this might mean?
Cheers,
E
Andy_P
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 16:29
yes, it means you don't have the full internet portal on there.

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=21559&forum=14#post287913

Although there's enough detail in this thread also to solve this.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 16:41
Quote:

On 2003-03-24 15:58, Andy_P wrote:
Still haven't found a way around having two profiles tho - one for internet gprs and another for voda live! so I can send MMS's.

Explain what your exact problem with this is as I may be able to help since I have both working happily on my P800.
Andy_P
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 17:27
I have a voda live profile with the servlets mms server, which works ok for sending mms.

When i add this url to the mms server in the voda internet profile it immediately says it cant connect to server.

If you have connected to that mms server on the internet/web/web settings it must be a fault here.. i will have a play.

I take it you didn't do anything special?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 17:57
ah... no... I think you are doing it differently to me...

To get the settings I used the vodafone auto configuration and pretended to be a T68i...

It created two internet profies,

one called GPRS for internet access but it missed the account (APN) setting which I entered as internet.

and one called vodafone live which has the WAP settings which was setup ok.

It also inserted all the details for the MMS settings except it missed the server address which I entered as HTTP://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

Other than those that I had to enter it all works fine. MMS goes out through the WAP settings to the MMS server and Opera and email goes though the internet settings.

Hope all that helps in someway.

btw. just had a look around and I'm fairly sure that MMS has to use WAP to access the server... not sure why though.

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2003-03-24 17:04 ]
Andy_P
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 18:52
Damn.. thats exactly the same as me.

Obviously when you have two profiles it asks you which you want to connect.. if you just have one it does it immediately.

EDIT: now Ive thought about it i remembered you can turn that option off. Stil it would be nice to know why it doesn't work sending mms through the voda internet gateway.

Ah well.

[ This Message was edited by: Andy_P on 2003-03-24 17:53 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 19:04
To have it not prompt for which connection just going back into the internet settings and untick show connection dialog.

just above that I have GPRS (i.e. the internet settings) as preferred so it will dial that automatically for Opera etc.

In the MMS setting you should have already chosen the vodafone live for the WAP account so it dials that automatically.

I don;t get any choices any more it just does it right depending on the function you are using

I agree that its strange that you need a WAP profile for MMS and even the label in the MMS setting says "WAP account" so I guess we can't argue with that!

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2003-03-24 18:06 ]
Nemisis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 19:21
Very weird!!

I have an account called 'Vodafone GPRS Web' and its settings are as follows...

apn: internet
user: web
pass: web

...and thats set up as my Preferred account but Opera still doesn't work!! ARGG!!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 19:33
if it helps I don't have (and never have had) a username or password for the internet access.. just simply account (or APN) of internet
ooshti
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-04-01 20:23
I cannot get Opera working either. I get "activation rejected". I have been assured by Vodafone that our Internet APN is configured. I have also been told that the internet gateway access for GRPS is name: n/a pwd: n/a AND name: web pwd: web

Confused!

My P800 def. browser is the only one that works, and that's thru WAP. Still good, but can't get my pop3 mail!! Need the Internet APN working.

Help! Might try someone else's Vodafone SIM. Will let you know.

Mark.
sx23
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-05-15 01:50
I get this 'activation rejected' thing on Vodafone too! It's driving me nuts. I'm beginning to wonder if it's due to something fundamental like not having an original Vodafone number (it's on 07956 number transferred from T Mobile).

Goddamnit...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi