Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Browsing on your P800 via ADSL

Author Browsing on your P800 via ADSL
migzy_1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 15:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

I heard from somewhere that you can use your BlueT connection on your P800 to connect to your PC and browse the web from your p800 using your PC's ADSl connection.

Anyone know how to set this up.

Cheers

Migzy
kraven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 15:57
Easy.

All you have to do is setup the partnerships with the PC, then when you load Opera it will use the Bluetooth connection and ignore the GPRS.

There is nothing else to do.

When you connect to a website, you will notice that the GPRS (Globe icon) doesn't come on.
migzy_1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 16:01
cheers

I'll give it a go, i'll just have to watch my adsl connection to see if there's activity, otherwise i'll get a huge GPRS bill
HC
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 20:17
Wild guess; you'll notice differences in the connection speed, ADSL or GPRS????
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 20:31
Yes, there is definitely an increase in speed using ADSL.
carpe noctem
Sporko
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-17 21:23
how do i set up the partnership ?
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 21:31
Start a BT serial port connection from your PC using PC-suite.
carpe noctem
Sporko
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-17 21:39
Will this work ?
http://www.teknikmagasinet.se/prod/pic/500015.jpg
YES!! One of my threads is the MOST useless on Esato!!
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-17 21:50
Any BT USB dongle or PC card should work, depending on the software/drivers.
carpe noctem
oferlaor
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-18 10:55
it works for me (I had to give mrouter the ability to contact the Internet on my firewall software).

Only opera is able to get to the outside, I wasn't able to get the email or internal browser software to work.
hippo
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-19 01:04
Mine works with Opera, the internal browser, POP, IMAP and SMTP mail. Everything I've tried so far.

Better still, using the USB dongle in my laptop when I'm in my office, the P800 accesses the internet (and indeed my corporate intranet) through my laptop's LAN connection. I didn't do anything different to get this to work - just used the USB serial port as per raven's excellent guidance on other threads.

GPRS is good, but the ADSL is considerably faster than GPRS (although I don't think Orange UK use the fastest possible GPRS - can anyone confirm this to me). The T1 internet line at work isn't noticeably faster than the ADSL at home though - I guess the P800 is maxxed out!

One WORD OF CAUTION: I had a Blue Monkey USB dongle from Expansys (I think it uses the same driver as Tecom/Anycom/others...?) and it was t e r r i b l e. Timed out after 5 seconds, worked for internal browser but not opera, and worse still gave me many blue-screens-of-death on my XP pro machine at home which I've never had before (true!). At one point it managed to stop my PC recognising its primary hard drive. Scary.

I sent it back to Expansys (good service) for a refund and paid the difference to get a TDK USB adaptor. It's a m a z i n g. Great software, no crashes, easy install on laptop (win2000) and home pc (XP as above), works a treat for all use cases. And pretty icon graphics too in its "My Bluetooth Places" extension to Explorer .

With only 1-2 hours of playing I've successfully done all this and more:

- made backups of P800 over bluetooth link
- downloaded and installed eDoom over bluetooth link
- sent and received many e-mails using POP, IMAP and SMTP mail accounts over bluetooth link to ADSL connection
- surfed the web using Opera and the internal browser over bluetooth link to ADSL connection
- listened and talked on a phone call over bluetooth link using my PC speakers (incl subwoofer!) and mic **how cool is this!)**
- detects P800 very easily (two clicks to connect) and stays connected forever (obviously I haven't finished testing that yet)
- seems to be quite sensitive to switching discoverable/auto/on/off the bluetooth mode of the phone and is resilient to unplugging/replugging the USB dongle
- it even lets me listen to PC sound through my HBH-30!

Anything else I should try? Next I'm going to my-symbian.com to download the VNC remote control application to try that and you know, I really believe it will work first time...!

Buy TDK. This was such a lesson to me not to be cheap and get the lowest in the range.
oferlaor
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-19 12:27
When I use the USB cradle to a computer with a LAN connection, and I try downloading email - it just prompts me with a GPRS connection dialog box.

Opera just goes ahead and works...

Is there anything special I need to be doing to avoid this?
hippo
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-20 00:34
I had this too. I set up a "dummy" GPRS connection (just create a new one and don't change any of the settings), then I set the new "dummy" GPRS connection as my preferred connection. The mail works fine now.

Your LAN connection needs to support POP mail retrieval though, of course. I say this only because a lot of larger companies (i.e. those which provide a corporate e-mail system) block the POP ports on their internet gateways.
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-20 00:57
And if you still get connected to GPRS, you need to set up a fake IP address for this "dummy" access point to something like 123.000.000.000.
carpe noctem
erik
T68i
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 06:09
is this possible if im using T68i?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi