Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > S6 now or wait for Note 5?

Author S6 now or wait for Note 5?
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-05-01 14:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hi there,

Just spent a few days with an S6 (friend's phone) and Im impressed. The combination of an excellent screen, fast and responsive UI, and that great camera - the S6 seems to be the phone to get right now.

But if given a choice, will you get the S6 now, or wait for the Note 5?

If rumors are to be believed, and looking at current trends, it seems that the replaceable battery will be also absent from Note 5. Along with the microSD card.

Any thoughts?

cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2015-05-03 09:49 ]
..function cant coffee without in the morning.
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2015-05-01 15:38
will wait for note 5.i wont miss the removable battery as i dont take mine out much.i would still like it to have micro sd support though.
galaxy note8
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-05-03 10:49

On 2015-05-01 15:38:21, daviep wrote:
will wait for note 5.i wont miss the removable battery as i dont take mine out much.i would still like it to have micro sd support though.

Thanks for the reply.

I had an interesting talk with a Samsung rep (T-mo store) and what she said kinda convinced me to just go for the S6.

She said... "Nothing's final yet of course ... but if you think about it, they made a big move this time.... so I think they're going to keep it (the design) and just make it bigger."

The impression that I got was that... if they're just going to make it "bigger", then the next note wont probably have an sd card and removable battery as well. (I hope she's wrong though)

Anyway, we'll know for sure a few months from now, when the Note 5 is announced.

cheers!
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2015-05-03 13:24
i would like it have both a removable battery and sd card but if it has a minimum of 64gb of storage then i will get it.the removable battery isnt a deal breaker for me.
galaxy note8
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2015-05-04 06:43
@difenbaker
I am in the same situation as you, but then I read about how great the Samsung Galaxy S6 is. That made me not wait for the Note 5, which I will end up getting anyway
Hopefully, the Galaxy S6 blue topaz is in my hand on Tuesday.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2015-05-04 05:47 ]
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-05-04 17:38
I don't know how you guys handle the jump between screen size, I can't go back to Galaxy S, so I am waiting for the Galaxy Note 5 as I want to open another line for myself. Already have the Note 4 so see no point in downgrading to a S6.

I hope the Note 5 has a MicroSD slot, they can take away the removable battery, the last time I had to switch batteries was with a Xperia X10 in 2011. I need a MicroSD slot though, or at very least 128GB internal memory, I already have 64GB of total memory in my Note 4 and it is fast running out.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-05-05 02:14

On 2015-05-04 06:43:46, McKinley wrote:
@difenbaker
I am in the same situation as you, but then I read about how great the Samsung Galaxy S6 is. That made me not wait for the Note 5, which I will end up getting anyway
Hopefully, the Galaxy S6 blue topaz is in my hand on Tuesday.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2015-05-04 05:47 ]

Thanks for the reply. Yup, Im thinking of ordering an S6 as well and like you, I plan to take a good look at the Note 5... to replace my Note 3, which is showing its age now.

cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2015-05-21 05:12 ]
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-05-05 02:28

On 2015-05-04 17:38:12, Tsepz_GP wrote:
I don't know how you guys handle the jump between screen size, I can't go back to Galaxy S, so I am waiting for the Galaxy Note 5 as I want to open another line for myself. Already have the Note 4 so see no point in downgrading to a S6.

I hope the Note 5 has a MicroSD slot, they can take away the removable battery, the last time I had to switch batteries was with a Xperia X10 in 2011. I need a MicroSD slot though, or at very least 128GB internal memory, I already have 64GB of total memory in my Note 4 and it is fast running out.

Thanks for replying. Umm, I think samsung will not go back to using an sd card... I could be wrong, of course, but it seems unlikely at this point. Let me explain.

I think it was established (on the other thread?) that using internal memory is faster than using an external card. And traditionally, the next phone is always faster than the previous one. I mean, of course, they wouldn't put out a new phone that's slower than last year's model, right? So if using an SD card affects the phone's speed, and the N5 is to be faster than the N4, then Samsung might go for the same design as they did with the S6 - and not include an external mem card slot.

For myself, I really hope that they dont do this, and do put back the sd card in the next note. I mean, there are other ways to make a phone faster, right? They could, for example, bump up the processor speed? Or maybe put in more memory? Or maybe optimize more apps?

cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2015-05-05 05:20 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-05-05 23:36
I get what you mean but I disagree.

The Galaxy S range is Samsungs mainstream mass market devices, much like the 3series for BMW, C Class for Mercedes, A4 for Audi, XF for Jaguar and Jetta for VW. The Galaxy S has always had some sort of 'compromise' vs. Note range, same with 3series when compared to the 7series for BMW, the one is meant to sell in bucket loads while the other is more a halo product that showcases their very best with little compromise.

The Note has to be very costly for Samsung to make, its the only international smartphone that uses WACOM digitizer, has a stylus that comes with it and software designed specifically for it.

What I am trying to say is the Note range tends not to follow the S range, it almost feels like two diff departments work on them with two diff visions, so MicroSD may be very likely in the Note 5. I would not trust some rep. in a mobile store, we are in May, chances are the Note 5 is not even finalised, and that rep. won't know much until the last few weeks when prototypes are in the wild.

Samsung market the Note as a versatile product, one that does not follow others but is a leader, this is what sets Note apart from all else available. Its meant to be a combination of desktop functionality, with tablet battery life in the palm of your hands, a sort of mini work station, and with their new MicroSD range:
http://www.androidpolice.com/[....]w-faster-sd-and-microsd-cards/
I doubt they will remove the MicroSD slot. Ever since the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 I noticed a huge gap between the S and the Note range. The S range is mass market,built for the average user and to attract the iPhone crowd, while Note seeks a more demanding and productivity orientated audience who want a powerful tool in their hand.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-05-06 02:26
On 2015-05-05 23:36:15, Tsepz_GP wrote:
I get what you mean but I disagree.

The Galaxy S range is Samsungs mainstream mass market devices, much like the 3series for BMW, C Class for Mercedes, A4 for Audi, XF for Jaguar and Jetta for VW. The Galaxy S has always had some sort of 'compromise' vs. Note range, same with 3series when compared to the 7series for BMW, the one is meant to sell in bucket loads while the other is more a halo product that showcases their very best with little compromise.

Hi there,
I think that the entire M series are not for the masses, since they carry uprated engines, better tires, more comprehensive traction control systems, and other mods. I think it's the "regular" 3, 5, and 7 series that are. But yeah, I do get what you mean... that the Notes are in a different class or category than the S's.

The Note has to be very costly for Samsung to make, its the only international smartphone that uses WACOM digitizer, has a stylus that comes with it and software designed specifically for it.

What I am trying to say is the Note range tends not to follow the S range, it almost feels like two diff departments work on them with two diff visions, so MicroSD may be very likely in the Note 5. I would not trust some rep. in a mobile store, we are in May, chances are the Note 5 is not even finalised, and that rep. won't know much until the last few weeks when prototypes are in the wild.

Very true... whatever anyone says, for now, are all speculation. We wont know anything's final until it's announced formally.

Samsung market the Note as a versatile product, one that does not follow others but is a leader, this is what sets Note apart from all else available. Its meant to be a combination of desktop functionality, with tablet battery life in the palm of your hands, a sort of mini work station, and with their new MicroSD range:
http://www.androidpolice.com/[....]w-faster-sd-and-microsd-cards/

I doubt they will remove the MicroSD slot. Ever since the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 I noticed a huge gap between the S and the Note range. The S range is mass market,built for the average user and to attract the iPhone crowd, while Note seeks a more demanding and productivity orientated audience who want a powerful tool in their hand.

Speaking of phablets, for me personally, having used an iPhone 6 plus. I have to say that my older (and slower) Note 3 is more functional and versatile. Especially in an office, where file transfers is the norm, and not every PC has itunes in it. So yeah, here's to hoping that Im wrong, and that sammy does include an SD card in the next Note.

cheers!
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-05-06 08:52
@tsepz

I Hope You are right! Otherwise without a sd card i can't see myself ever getting Note again no matter how wonderful the slwn is
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-05-14 13:15
Just to update this thread...

After some thought, I went ahead and got the S6... the camera on it is just too good to pass up, imo.

Still using my Note 3, but its due for a replacement, so Im thinking, I might end up getting a Note 5 anyway. Only thing that could make me change my mind about that is how good the future iPhone 6s (or 7) will be.

Here's a sample shot I took recently...
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7726/17409859739_4d38b38d81_b.jpg

cheers!

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi