Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Sony Xperia Rumors 2015

Previous  123 ... 141142143 ... 315316317  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumors 2015
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-04-29 17:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
the others like LG or Samsung are probably too late into the game to start their own sensor manufacturing and R&D. Sure there are some potential cost saving and start of a new production line but the cost difference is probably low enough to not even bother and just buy from Toshiba or Sony.

On the other hand, everyone please spam "yes" in this topic

http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]re-if-there-is-popular-demand/
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2015-04-29 18:17
I don't get why people are so obsessed with RAW support to a mobile phone?
The images will end up grainy as heck and once you have applied some noise reduction, your images will end up worse.

I shoot RAW with my Canon EOS 70D and going from JPG to RAW is a huge step in terms of details but also in terms of noise. To a phone, I don't see how RAW can be of any interest with so much noise it's going to generate.
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
nikola1970
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-04-29 18:36
the others like LG or Samsung are probably too late into the game to start their own sensor manufacturing and R&D. Sure there are some potential cost saving and start of a new production line but the cost difference is probably low enough to not even bother and just buy from Toshiba or Sony.

I am pretty sure Samsung is working hard on their own camera sensors and we will see them soon again, at this moment they probably can't match Sony sensors quality yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Samsung making even better sensors then Sony in the next few years knowing how much money they can spend on R&D. Same thing with Apple.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-04-29 18:48

On 2015-04-29 18:17:06, McKinley wrote:
I don't get why people are so obsessed with RAW support to a mobile phone?
The images will end up grainy as heck and once you have applied some noise reduction, your images will end up worse.

I shoot RAW with my Canon EOS 70D and going from JPG to RAW is a huge step in terms of details but also in terms of noise. To a phone, I don't see how RAW can be of any interest with so much noise it's going to generate.

Because many people want untainted pictures from the camera without the horrible jpeg algorithm from Sony. People didn't only requested RAW but also full manual camera control.

On 2015-04-29 18:36:13, nikola1970 wrote:

I am pretty sure Samsung is working hard on their own camera sensors and we will see them soon again, at this moment they probably can't match Sony sensors quality yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Samsung making even better sensors then Sony in the next few years knowing how much money they can spend on R&D. Same thing with Apple.

Pretty sure they are too, Samsung for starter like to have their hands in everything possible. Like some has describe, they are like Sony in the late 90s and early 2000. They were left with a lot of money with unclear direction. They start stepping into territory that they are unfamiliar with and may end up like where Sony is now as the company gets way too big to manage. Or they can learn from Apple let others figure things out and pick from the best even if it cost a bit more but save tons of headache.
[ This Message was edited by: Gitaroo on 2015-04-29 17:51 ]
kurtdean
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-04-29 19:40
I hope Z ultra successor has an amazing screen just like the original Z ultra. The original Z ultra has the most beautiful screen in any sony phones until now IMO. Can't wait to see it
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 09:38
Sony forecast FY15 at 30M down 23% from final FY14 sales (39.1M)
plus full annual financial report should arrive in coming hours

http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]-down-23-over-the-coming-year/
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 09:57
I believe their intention is to switch from a focus on volume, to a focus on profitability, which I think is about bloody time.

Only apple has brand power strong enough to match volume with profit. Even SamSamsung, once again the number 1 smartphone vendor, has seen its profits in mobile sliding.

Need to cut the low margin mid/low range and focus on high margin flagship range.

Yeah, they'll have fewer sales, but hopefully they'll have higher profits due to less money wasted in developing low end phones that nobody buys.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 11:37

On 2015-04-30 09:57:58, -XYZ wrote:
I believe their intention is to switch from a focus on volume, to a focus on profitability, which I think is about bloody time.

Only apple has brand power strong enough to match volume with profit. Even SamSamsung, once again the number 1 smartphone vendor, has seen its profits in mobile sliding.

Need to cut the low margin mid/low range and focus on high margin flagship range.

Yeah, they'll have fewer sales, but hopefully they'll have higher profits due to less money wasted in developing low end phones that nobody buys.

If only they actually did that

There are quite a few entry level Xperia models lined up for this year as well.
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 12:18
After reading that financial report and knowing what Sony has in store for us xperia wise this is probably the last year they make phones. If the "real" z4 flops they are done.

Here is my idea on how to make z4 a success:
Screen - buy the best one
Soc - buy the best one
Internal memory/RAM - buy the best parts
Camera - put in the best of Sony, best lenses etc
Build quality - make it high end

Knowing Sony, here is what they will do:
Screen - cheapest IPS they can find, slap on "triluminos" branding
soc - instead of waiting on 820, release it with 810
Internal memory/RAM - cheapest 32GB, 4GB too expensive, make it 3GB
Camera - use same sensor as always, buy cheap plastic lens call it "G-lens". Don't care about software (if it is too good it can impact their point and shoot sales).
Build quality - metal is to expensive, glass sandwich again.

Result: "best of Sony" can't compete with best of Samsung, again.
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 13:02
From how i see it what is stopping sony first and foremost is: lack of marketing>lack of carrier support>lack of fast worldwide availability>half a year marketed flag, though not a problem anymore from q4 and on according to the rumors>non competitive mid range>too much focus on volume for mid and low>no "one sony" mostly regarding the camera - from a company that has the best camera division in the world at least for sensors: lack of good camera software>lack of camera hardware - especially ois.
for display, soc, memory and design,battery they use the latest and greatest available so i am less worried about that though they do need to keep improving in that regard and not do stupid past mistakes like using shatter films and displays with sub par viewing angles.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-04-30 12:04 ]
stook
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 14:03
@McKinley
for me RAW is good for white balance/color temperature (you can change it without quality loss) and adding/removing stop or two - again - with jpg you cannot do it without loss

And about 70D - time to upgrade your gear - i can say that 5D III raw quality is very good
alexander87
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 14:21

On 2015-04-30 12:18:38, motvikt wrote:
After reading that financial report and knowing what Sony has in store for us xperia wise this is probably the last year they make phones. If the "real" z4 flops they are done.

Here is my idea on how to make z4 a success:
Screen - buy the best one
Soc - buy the best one
Internal memory/RAM - buy the best parts
Camera - put in the best of Sony, best lenses etc
Build quality - make it high end

Knowing Sony, here is what they will do:
Screen - cheapest IPS they can find, slap on "triluminos" branding
soc - instead of waiting on 820, release it with 810
Internal memory/RAM - cheapest 32GB, 4GB too expensive, make it 3GB
Camera - use same sensor as always, buy cheap plastic lens call it "G-lens". Don't care about software (if it is too good it can impact their point and shoot sales).
Build quality - metal is to expensive, glass sandwich again.

Result: "best of Sony" can't compete with best of Samsung, again.

Z3 series was and still is a success for them in sales numbers (of course, boosted by how poor the S5 was). You could've just spared your time to not write ignorant stuff on the forums.
I don't think Sony even dreams about reaching the sales numbers of Samsung, that would be ridiculous as the brand is not as recognised...
Let's just wait and see what they come up with, and you could use getting that Samsung dong out of your mouth. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[ This Message was edited by: alexander87 on 2015-04-30 13:21 ]
There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed.
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 15:07

On 2015-04-30 14:03:52, stook wrote:
@McKinley
And about 70D - time to upgrade your gear - i can say that 5D III raw quality is very good

Don't you mean one of the Sony A7's out there?
winnerzero
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 15:58
I really hope Sony pulls through and keeps releasing phones... Can't wait for the day when people realise their worth and understand they are that much better than crappy samsungs...
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-04-30 23:51

On 2015-04-30 11:37:54, randomuser wrote:

On 2015-04-30 09:57:58, -XYZ wrote:

If only they actually did that

There are quite a few entry level Xperia models lined up for this year as well.

I'm assuming these models have already been developed. I'm pretty sure they'd be unwilling to write-off a great deal of stock and R&D expenditure without at least trying to sell them.
What I want to know, is if they have any low-end models in R&D for 2016 and beyond.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 141142143 ... 315316317  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic