Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia might return in 2016

Author Nokia might return in 2016
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-27 11:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Finland May Yet Return To The Mobile Handset Business

Nokia remains interested in the mobile space. The recent launch of HERE Maps as a public beta for Android shows competency and a willingness to experiment outside of its corporate history. While the Nokia X UI skin and Android launcher, along with the Nokia X range of handsets, went to Redmond as part of the purchase, I’m sure that Nokia could find the engineering talent to build a new and workable UI on top of the standard Android package if there was the will.

Let’s go back to that call:

…we will of course carefully assess what would be the best way for us to maximize the value of the Nokia brand, also taking into account that we’re in the lock-up period still in the Microsoft transaction regarding our possibility to use the brand and we have recognized that Nokia brand is the most valuable from recognition perspective in the area of mobile phones and mobile devices. And there we cannot go yet at the moment.

No executive is going to lock out potential business development areas in the future on a conference call, but Nokia has always been aware of the lock-up period and when it will end. The executives have been keen to remind every one of the date they can return to the handset game, both in this earnings call and in previous calls. In my experience it’s one of its goto lines when you ask about mobile plans.

Rather like a Finnish version of Chekhov’s gun, Nokia is making sure everyone knows when they can get back into the game. I for one will welcome the return of a newly invigorated Finnish smartphone manufacturer to the fold. And I wonder how much a fairytale that return will be?

Nokia has already dabbled with an Android UI layer – the Nokia X handsets looked remarkably like the Lumia interface in operation, and powered the Nokia X handsets running Android. As mentioned both the X handsets and the X launcher are now under the control of Microsoft, and it’s likely that the engineers behind it are also on Redmond’s books.

That’s not to say that a new team couldn’t put together an Android environment given funding and time. As HERE Maps improves and iterates on Android, not only would the new Nokia have Android code running on countless machines around the world, it would also have a clearer understanding of what is needed on a pervasive and significantly sized Android app, and the development teams required.

As for physical manufacturing, the rise of the Chinese OEM would easily take the strain of building these handsets. Don’t forget that Nokia’s first Windows Phone handset, the Nokia Lumia 800, was manufactured as an ‘out of house’ project with the help of Compal Electronics.

So it could be done, it cold be restarted from a blank sheet of paper rather quickly. But perhaps the answer is closer to home. Perhaps the answer is already in Nokia’s home. Perhaps they just need the Linux life raft to return?

The Jolla smartphone runing Sailfish OS (image: Jolla PR)One Potential Path To A Return

As I’ve pointed out here on Forbes previously, Nokia would not need to look far to find a team full of competency with smartphones. Sitting in its old Research and Development Centre in Helsinki is Jolla. Made up of former Nokia employees who are all hard at work developing the Sailfish OS and the Jolla handset, there is an obvious option on the table that would bring Nokia back into the smartphone market in 2016 with a new handset that has had years of development and man-hours poured into it.

Once Nokia is ‘ready to go there’, it has many choices to get back into the smartphone, but there is a certain circularity (and a sense of business interrupted) if the former Finnish powerhouse turns to the Jolla team to lead the charge.

more:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/e[....]-for-finlands-next-smartphone/

cheers!
..function cant coffee without in the morning.
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-27 13:38
And I will be the first in line to buy their flagship phone!
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
pravin0123
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-27 13:51
its good thing to help non technical people. its would be better if you provide more information with similar pattern!

keep going!
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-28 11:37
Nokia Planning New Smartphones in 2016 after License Agreement with Microsoft Ends?
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/will[....]-period-microsoft-ends-1471858

Nokia May Enter The Smartphone Market Again
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014[....]rket-again/?utm_source=mainrss

cheers!
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-11-16 12:47
Nokia calls it quits on phone making, but eyes brand return
After more than three decades, Nokia has confirmed that it won’t be making any more phones.

http://www.t3.com/news/nokia-[....]e-making-but-eyes-brand-return

goldendragon
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-12-30 09:43
Why not Nokia will boost its business on 2015 why on 2016? There is a long 1 Year gap between 15 and 16. Do you got my point?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi